Lowering Springs - Novitec vs Eibach - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Loderunner01

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 16-03-16 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Lowering Springs - Novitec vs Eibach

Hi,

First post (but regular lurker!). I originally posted this on Ausalfa but haven't had any response as yet so though I would try here as well.

I am the proud owner of a Brera 2.2 JTS and am currently in the process of upgrading the suspension with a springs + dampers combo.

As far as the dampers are concerned I have settled on the Bilstein B8 Sprint but I am having difficulty in deciding on the springs.

Now my first choice is the Eibach Pro-Kit, however for the 2.2 JTS these are out of production. That said I have managed to source some.

Alternatively, Alfisti have suggested the Novitec springs.

The problem I am having is that while there is a lot of info about the Eibach springs, there is very little info/data around that I can find re. the Novitek springs.

Is there anybody that has experience with both of these springs that could advise me which direction to go?

The Noviteks I can pick up for c$160AUD, whereas the Eibach would set me back $350AUD. Are the Eibach's $200 better?

Also, does anbody know if the Novitek spring rates are linear or progressive? Alfisti/Squadra Sportiva (which is part of the Novitek Group) informed me that the Noviteks are manufacturer by Eibach so I am wondering whether the Noviteks are merely rebadged Eibach Pro-Kits or whether Eibach manufacted the springs to a custom Novitek spec. considering Novitek are custom tuners.

I would be keen to hear people's thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Switzerland
If you can choose, take H&R instead of Novitec. That would be my choice. However I am surprised that there is no Eibach for Brera 2.2 JTS. I am pretty sure that B12 kit for Brera is out there?

http://eibach.com/global/en/products...rmance-springs

Last edited by buzz11; 16-03-16 at 22:36.
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 17-03-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz11 View Post
If you can choose, take H&R instead of Novitec. That would be my choice. However I am surprised that there is no Eibach for Brera 2.2 JTS. I am pretty sure that B12 kit for Brera is out there?

Performance Springs | Eibach.com | Performance Suspension | English | Europe
Yes, the Eibach Pro-Kit for the Brera 2.2 JTS is no longer manufactured. You can still get them for every other model Brera. The B12 kit is available in some places but it is more cost effective to buy the parts separately. They charge a premium price for the convenience of buying the kit but buying separately will save about me about $400AUD.

The H&Rs would be a consideration as the performance characteristics are very similiar to the Eibach Pro-Kit. Problem is, as I am based in Australia, where to buy that isn't going to cost me a fortune. Alfisti don't have any for the Brera 2.2 JTS.

At the moment the Novitecs appear to be the best purchase performance:dollar. While price isn't a deciding factor I have to be pragmatic.

Why H&R over the Novitecs?
AO Member

Got it. Separate buying saves money definitely. Maybe it can be shipped privately from EU to AU? Pretty sure that Eibach could be found in Germany.

Well, just my preference. Of course all depends what do you want like a result. Eibach is the best choice for sure. H&R is a compromise between comfort and performance, aligned to carry on the best possible performance with still acceptable comfort. Novitec is a really hard stuff. Someone would say Novitec is super...all depends. For me they are hard rock without coffee.
Had my 156 on B6 + Eibach pro - that rocks. Before eibach had novitec. Ma kidneys were always somewhere behind my ears. 147 is running H&R - if we consider that I am turning on approx 3000 km per week, I feel no tiredness after 1200 in one piece.
(Post Link) post #5 of 23 Old 18-03-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

buzz that's really good info. Taking ride comfort out of the equation, between the Eibach and Novitecs, which had the better performance/handling characteristics?

Do you know if the Novitecs are linear or progressive spring rate?
AO Member

I found Eibach better. Especially when road was bumpy. With Eibach I had a way less bouncing.

Not sure about Novitec spring rate. Gonna check.
AO Member

County: Sachsen

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

You can compare spring rates.
If in doubt just ask.

H&R, Eibach and Vogtland will give you the spring rates if you ask.
Then compare and chose. a softer spring will compress more but will alsow allow for more body movement - if your car is heavy this might not be the best idear.

I had Eibachs on the 156 and was / am happy with those - had them on the Lancia (it is the heavyest a delta can get) and they were a crapload to soft (the car dropped way more than -30mm, yes they were for the correct engine) - and it did not feel well on the road - way too much body movement. The front was a total mess! (already had uprated shocks!). Alsow the read went on the ground as soon as it was loaded. Now i am with Vogtland, they are -40 up front, but have a slightly higher springrate (32kg/mm compared to the 28kg/mm of the Eibachs, 38 with H&R on my Car) and thus the car actually is slightly higher (~10mm compared to Eibach). Bodycontroll is way better the whole car feels way more dynamic capable and still verry compfy, with great read holding even on uneven surface roads. I have absolutely no problem doing a 1000km trip on a day.

Selling a Brembo Upgrade for 156's, Project Mu Pads (New) and fitting brake lines (new).

link to the thread
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
If it helps, Alfa fitted Eibach springs to the 156 in sportpack mode .. with Bilstein shocks. That's what my car has and handling and ride is great.
(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 29-03-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Ended up buying the Novitecs. Primary reason was I didn't want the car to have an OEM feel to it with normal driving. I expect the Novitecs will be a firmer ride which is essentially what I am looking for.

I guess I'll find out once they arrive and I get them fitted.
AO Member

County: Sachsen

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

WOW if i recall right the novitecs are the most hardcore springs you can get (except from TEIN maybe..). Good luck.
(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 08-04-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

UPDATE:

OK, I've now got the Novitec springs and Bilstein B8 dampers installed on the Brera so I thought I would post an update of my thoughts.

Firstly, and if anyone's curious, the Novitec springs are a progressve rate spring. I know that was one of the things that I couldn't find any information on.

So, what are the Novitec and Bilstein combination like on the Brera? In one word: AWESOME!

Now I know everybody has different needs and wants when it comes to performance, ride and handling but for me, I was after suspension the had a firmer/sportier feel and was much more dialled in. This combo delivers in spades.

Before I purchased the Novitecs, the one thing that put me off was the fact that the majority of people on the internet forums seemed to go for the Eibach Pro Kit and regarded the Novitecs as too hard/stiff. Now that I have got them installed I have to disagree. Obviously this is my opinion only but I am glad that I got them because the Novitec/Bilstein combo suits my driving style and what I was hoping to achieve perfectly. I'm actually glad I didn't go with the Eibach Pro Kit now because if what I have read is true, and there is plenty of info around about the Eibachs, then that combo would have been too soft for me. As it stands, the Novitec/Bilstein combo has completely transformed the car.

Now it may be the case that the Bilstein dampers are really good and they take a lot of the harshess out of the Novitecs or the two married together are a really good combination and work really well but I don't find any of the hardness over bumps that people seem to talk about. In fact I would say that in normal driving conditions in a straight line, the ride is firmer but just as comfortable as OEM, without all the OEM bounciness. When they are pushed is when they really come in to their own because these things are really dialled in. I can chuck the Brera about now like there is no tomorrow and I haven't noticed any under/oversteer. That said, I haven't had it on a track and really pushed it to it's limits. It hasn't bottomed out/hit the bump stops and it passes the speed-bump test fine. It actually handles the speed-bumps better than OEM.

Are they too stiff? I don't think so, no. In fact I am now having a hard time understanding why people say they are too stiff. I think it is entirely doable to drive long distances with this combination without any driver fatigue or a bruised arse.

Would I buy them again? Without doubt.

Would they pass the Mrs test? Unless she is a particularly delicate flower I don't see why not. If she does complain then it's time to find a new Mrs.

Quality Control? Well I have it on good authority from Alfisti that the Novitecs are manufactured by Eibach so I would expect Eibach quality.

OK, now on to the supercharger...
Ncosta and Nickhoughton567 like this.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Good result! You have to take chances like this, and seems you did the research to achieve the results you wanted.

If you can, post up again on ausalfa with pics!
AO Member

County: Meath
Hi.

I have novitec lowering springs on my 159 1.9jtdm and i love them they dont look much lower thou maybe 10-15 mm. but handles so much better. that was untill i put crap tyres on the back now it feels wobbly at the back. will be upgrading to 19" soon i think so i will keep these for winter
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Bit late posting here but I'm getting the Novitecs fitted by Autolusso tomorrow. Hopefully they will be as good as they sound here. I originally went for the Eibach's but as Autolusso couldn't source them for the 2.2 we tried the 159 springs. Didn't really work, the car is raised by about 2 inches rather than lowered by an inch and just doesn't look right. As somebody said to me it looks like a monster truck at the moment... All being well, things should be sorted by Friday...
(Post Link) post #15 of 23 Old 07-06-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
Bit late posting here but I'm getting the Novitecs fitted by Autolusso tomorrow. Hopefully they will be as good as they sound here. I originally went for the Eibach's but as Autolusso couldn't source them for the 2.2 we tried the 159 springs. Didn't really work, the car is raised by about 2 inches rather than lowered by an inch and just doesn't look right. As somebody said to me it looks like a monster truck at the moment... All being well, things should be sorted by Friday...
dc, good to hear. I think you'll be very happy with them. What dampers are you having them fitted to?

I've had the novitecs and Bilsteins on my Brera for a couple of months now and I am (still) really pleased with them. They've settled in really well and the car drives like a dream. Great mod - well worth the money.

When you get them on report back. It would be good to hear your thoughts of them.
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Here's an update on the ongoing work, which has been a bit more involved than I originally thought but we're getting there..

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post14903154
AO Member

Garage
i have the novitec springs on my gqv for two months now
very happy with them , very nice ride hight , slightly stiffer ride but nothing serious...
only thing that bothers me is that few guys told me lowering springs will kill the shock absorber soon
AO Member

County: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nf3ct3d View Post
i have the novitec springs on my gqv for two months now
very happy with them , very nice ride hight , slightly stiffer ride but nothing serious...
only thing that bothers me is that few guys told me lowering springs will kill the shock absorber soon
No problems but max lowering 30mm. The shocks die from constant travel with the stiffer springs there will be less travel so less wear.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyle View Post
No problems but max lowering 30mm. The shocks die from constant travel with the stiffer springs there will be less travel so less wear.
Less travel but same force (same weight of car). Same force over less travel = over less time = more energy. Think about the oil being forced through small openings, gives the resistance for damping. If you put a stiffer Spring on there with same weight it will recoil faster and oil is forced through channels more quickly. This will put more strain on seals etc.
AO Member

County: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmerydolmeo View Post
Less travel but same force (same weight of car). Same force over less travel = over less time = more energy. Think about the oil being forced through small openings, gives the resistance for damping. If you put a stiffer Spring on there with same weight it will recoil faster and oil is forced through channels more quickly. This will put more strain on seals etc.
Makes sense but the difference isn't thaat big and when you think about is the weight is the same but the springs make it feel lighter because they are stiffer, so I don't think there will be a problem, unless it is lowered too much and the shocks bottom out.

Thanks Loderunner01

Thanks for the review and update. Following your advice I just ordered B8 + Novitec combo for my 156 GTA Sportwagon

Can't wait to get them fitted next week. Bought from alfisti.net for a very good price. The shipment cost from Germany to Sweden wasn't too bad either.

Again, big thanks!

Regards,

sARi
Unregistered

County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loderunner01 View Post
Why H&R over the Novitecs?
Because H&R...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f600bd9c28ba.jpg (55.3 KB, 65 views)
(Post Link) post #23 of 23 Old 28-11-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
Because H&R...
Nice pic!

That could happen to any springs from any manufacturer. I haven't heard of a manfacturer yet that has a 100% track record for manufacturing items that have never failed or are without defects. Luck of the draw.

I'm happy with my Novitecs - they haven't snapped... Yet (and I hope they don't).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
eibach , lowering , novitec , springs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page