Hard wired car camera how to. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spacecadet
  • 1 Post By Seb_Ryan
  • 1 Post By David P

Spacecadet

Hard wired car camera how to.

Just thought I'd share my step by step 'how to' on fitting permanent wiring for a car camera.

Stuff you'll need:

A car camera (assuming usb powered)

A 12v to 5v power adaptor. About 5

A 'piggy back' fuse connector. 1.50

Some wire. 50p

A ring end crimp in terminal thing. 25p

1) position your car camera on your screen. I went with right up behind the rear view mirror.

2) remove courtesy light and fit the adaptor/connector end of your power cable in the headlining somewhere.

3) run the cable for power across the headlining (simply tuck the cable into the roof. There is a 1cm ish gap at the leading edge of the headlining.

4) pull away the inner rubber deal around the door in the A pillar area.

5) pull away the A pillar trim. All pop studs. Gently wiggle and yank.

6) tuck cable behind A pillar trim.

7) unscrew fuse board cover trim and then dash side trim.

8) feed cable through a hole in the end of the dashboard in the area exposed now the trim has moved.

9) remove cig lighter fuse.

10) fit piggy back fuse holder and connect to your power lead from your camera.

11) unscrew a suitable screw that has direct earth near the fuse board.

12) fit a ring end on the earth cable and fit under suitable earth point screw from step 11.

13) refit all trims.

14) have a beer.

Benefits- no cables dangling.
Auto camera on with ignition.

Looks tidy and safe.

Cable length in roof is sufficient to pull down some extra and use for my tomtom which uses the same mini usb size power port.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
I'm thinking of doing this soon to power a dash cam & possibly also a sat nav.

I'm guessing this the type of 'piggy back' fuse connector you used: AUTO-VOX Car Circuit Fuse Holder - Standard 5 AMP: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

And this is the type of 12v to 5v power adaptor you used http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OHHT7Z...651777d0ed90_S (they are also available with just one USB connector or used with wires)

I'm hoping to put the power adaptor behind the dash beside the fuses & run the cables from there to the dash cam & sat nav.
Spacecadet

The piggy back fuse connector was indeed that type. The power adaptor was one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supply-Conve.../dp/B00E5VH1OI
I have the adaptor tucked behind the roof light and the cable comes out of the headlining by the rear view mirror. It is totally invisible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
I'm guessing this the type of 'piggy back' fuse connector you used: AUTO-VOX Car Circuit Fuse Holder - Standard 5 AMP: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
The piggy back fuse connector was indeed that type..
All the small size "piggy back" fuse connectors I can find say 5A fuse max, the cigarette fuse I'll be plugging it into is a 20A. I can find 20A versions for the standard & the mini but not the small, did you find a 20A version or has the 156 different size fuses ?
Spacecadet

I assumed the feed wire to the camera would be the one with a max amp rating.

The piggy back connectors have room for two fuses. One is the original fuse that was in the slot in the fuse board, and the other is the fuse for the new feed.

I used the stock 15 amp ciggy lighter fuse in one slot and a10 amp (as that's what I had spare) in the slot for the new camera wiring.

May not be perfect, but it works.
David P likes this.

Garage
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I can't really see a problem using a 20A fuse to complete the original circuit, a 5A should be plenty to power both the dashcam & sat nav.
AO Member

County: -
Just make sure you put the fuse in the right way.. End prong is the live

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Spacecadet

Car fuses don't have poles! What do you mean 'end prong'?

AO Member

Quote:
Car fuses don't have poles! What do you mean 'end prong'?
When you remove the fuse one side will be live, one wont. Fuse tap will work either way but you can put it in backwards and itll then bypass the fuse and obviously wont blow if you have a problem.

Garage
I'll just fit an in-line fuse holder between the fuse connector & the power adaptor if I need to, as there's only space to fit the fuse connector one way in the 147.
AO Member

Use a different fuse? It may be the right way, but you dont want that melting and catching fire.. Ive seen them melt (i use them most days) lol

David P likes this.

Garage
I've had a look at the fuse diagram & fuse list in the Owner Manual, it'll probably fit either way on a 7.5A fuse which is only used for "Heated wing mirrors – heated nozzles"
I'll check it properly & order the bits in the next few days.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Actually it will probably fit either way on the "Heated wing mirrors heated nozzles" fuse which is only a 7.5A
I wouldnt use that unless its only 7.5 amp fuse on the tap.. Always go same or just above

Garage
As I posted above all the correct size (small) fuse taps I've seen on Amazon say 5A max.

County: Noord Brabant

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

I have done almost the same in my GTV, only difference is that I put the 'add a fuse' holder (max 15A) into one of the side/rear lights fuse holders. This means that I can switch the dashcam on and off with the lights. I have replaced the side and rear lights with LEDs btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dashcam4.jpg (158.3 KB, 38 views)

Garage
Quick question for those using the 12V to 5V power convertor, are any of you having any problems with interference on the radio ? I'm currently having interference issues with the OEM power supply for the dash cam & I'm hoping hard wiring it will get rid of that issue. However I've just read a few comments that some users are having similar issues using these convertors.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
I fitted an E-Prance months ago, its tucked right up behind the mirror and all cabling is tucked up out of sight right through to the centre console where it plugs into my cigarette/power plug, now this is fine but I would prefer to fit a power plug into the glove box and have everything out of sight.
Is it a simple task of connecting two cables, one to each of the existing power plug terminals and to a new point in the glove box ?
Would I need an extra fuse ? If I add a new point then the existing one is very unlikely to be ever used, possibly to charge a phone but Ive not needed to as of yet.

Driving in an Alfa wonderland
Spacecadet

The one I've got isn't giving any bother at all. No interference on radio.

That said its right up in the roof far from the stereo, aerial and wiring.

County: Noord Brabant

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
The one I've got isn't giving any bother at all. No interference on radio.

That said its right up in the roof far from the stereo, aerial and wiring.
Same here. However I didn't have any issues when I used the original cable of the camera (with cigarette plug).

Garage
I don't always get the interference issues, it depends on location my. Anyway I ordered the parts this morning off ebay, I'll update once I've it all wired up.
Spacecadet

This is all you see from the outside. No cables hanging about, nadda.

Garage
Finally got my Dash Cam MINI 0805 1.5 inch 1296P HD LCD Screen GPS Car DVR Camcorder-64.79 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com wired up, interference is now almost non existent compared to when I was using the cigarette lighter socket power suppy.

Edit: I'm still having radio interference at times, but it seems to be mostly in areas of weak reception for local stations.

Here are the parts I used:

Fuse tap 2 ADD A Circuit Fuse TAP Piggy Back Mini Blade Fuse Holder ATM APM 12V 24V Volt | eBay
10A fuse fitted.

Mini blade fuse holder Waterproof 15A IN Line Mini Blade Type Fuse Holder | eBay
10A fuse fitted in top socket.
20A fuse fitted in bottom socket to complete original circuit for cigarette lighter socket.

2 port USB 12V to 5V converter Dual Double 2 USB Port DC DC CAR Converter Module 12V TO 5V 3A 15W Power Adapter | eBay

Switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-v-Volt-...YAAOSwa-dWkZrv

2M USB cable USB 2 0 A Male TO B Micro USB 5 PIN Data Lead Cable Mobile Cell Phone 2M | eBay

Some wire, terminals, a crimper & some velcro to attach the converter to the panel.

The switch & the fuse holder aren't strictly needed, I wanted the option to be able to turn off the power supply to the converter if interference was still an issue, the fuse holder was used for the reason mentioned earlier in the thread, it was cheap & does the job of a bit of wire anyway.

Dash Cam & Sat Nav now permanently powered/charging

DSC_0986.jpg DSC_1020.jpg DSC_1025.jpg

WP_011287.jpg DSC_0990.jpg DSC_0995.jpg
pendragonfalls likes this.

Last edited by David P; 15-02-16 at 09:21.
AO Member

Great write up - easy to follow...

Loving my camera, as it's so discreet. Does the job perfectly though 👍

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
camera , car , hard , wired

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page