Giulietta Diesel Intercoolers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 09-06-15 Thread Starter
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Giulietta Diesel Intercoolers

Hi all, me again!

I was just wondering if I had wasted my money on this:

Kit Intercooler Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 Tjet Multiair 1750 TBi 1.6 - 2.0 jtdm - Race Wars

or if I should have just gone for a 2.0 JTDM intercooler for my 1.6?

also if I fit this to my car with the stock Turbo will it be detrimental? or give a bit more Oooooosh!

Zoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I may be wrong here, so am fully prepared to be told otherwise.. But I believe on a stock turbo with a stock map, it'll be of net detriment..

Larger intercooler = larger volume = larger turbo lag

Fitting a nice big FMIC gives you greater tuning potential, but you'll need a remap before you really feel the benefit of it...

Though I do await corrections!
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 09-06-15 Thread Starter
Zoo
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
I may be wrong here, so am fully prepared to be told otherwise.. But I believe on a stock turbo with a stock map, it'll be of net detriment..

Larger intercooler = larger volume = larger turbo lag

Fitting a nice big FMIC gives you greater tuning potential, but you'll need a remap before you really feel the benefit of it...

Though I do await corrections!
Christ I don't want more lag, it takes 7-10 working days for my turbo to kick in now
AO Member

County: Greater London
I have the same intercoller (same dimensions at least) on my 1.6 diesel. When I fit it I already had a novitec chip, and the outside temperatures were really high, so I didn't see any difference in turbo lag.

In the UK I believe that you don't really need it unless you go for a remap.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta TCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
Hi all, me again!

I was just wondering if I had wasted my money on this:

Kit Intercooler Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 Tjet Multiair 1750 TBi 1.6 - 2.0 jtdm - Race Wars

or if I should have just gone for a 2.0 JTDM intercooler for my 1.6?

also if I fit this to my car with the stock Turbo will it be detrimental? or give a bit more Oooooosh!

Zoo
The intercooler doesn't give a larger volume of air, in plain terms, it cools the air and therefore condenses it, which means there's more air in the same volume and so a bigger bang. For the marginal increase in performance it will give, you may as well buy a secondhand unit for the 2 litre JTDM2. If you're looking to spend around that level of money, get a remap, it will give you the best increase in BHP & Torque per spent.

Good luck with it
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuganoVan View Post
The intercooler doesn't give a larger volume of air, in plain terms, it cools the air and therefore condenses it, which means there's more air in the same volume and so a bigger bang. For the marginal increase in performance it will give, you may as well buy a secondhand unit for the 2 litre JTDM2. If you're looking to spend around that level of money, get a remap, it will give you the best increase in BHP & Torque per spent.

Good luck with it
I may have been misleading with my original comment...

By larger volume, I meant the volume of the IC itself is larger...

Total volumetric flow of air is the same, but the internal volume of the IC is larger, hence residence time is larger, hence potential for increased lag..

But without a custom remap, a larger FMIC isn't really gonna do a thing for performance!
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 10-06-15 Thread Starter
Zoo
AO Silver Member

Garage
There will be a remap at some stage!

I'm just buying up the bits at the mo I have a turbo which came from a 2.0 JTDM car which I am told will require some fettling to fit.

I was more wondering if a 2.0 JTDm Intercooler (580x145x81mm) would be any more/less beneficial that the racewars one (550x230x65mm)

theres a 120 difference in price

I was just gonna fit it to the car to see if it made any difference with stock turbo!
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta TCT

I'd really go for a stock remap first although I understand how you would want to have maximum benefit of having new intercooler and other mods accounted for at the time of the remap.
AO Member

County: Coimbra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
There will be a remap at some stage!

I'm just buying up the bits at the mo I have a turbo which came from a 2.0 JTDM car which I am told will require some fettling to fit.

I was more wondering if a 2.0 JTDm Intercooler (580x145x81mm) would be any more/less beneficial that the racewars one (550x230x65mm)

theres a 120 difference in price

I was just gonna fit it to the car to see if it made any difference with stock turbo!

I have the 2.0 JTDm IC on my 1.6 stage2 JTDm, and the temperatures dropped around 15C (50C vs 35C at 4500rpm). It's a great intercooler, the 2.0 one. You'll need new hoses though as the ends are wider.
AO Member

County: -belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjlour View Post
I have the 2.0 JTDm IC on my 1.6 stage2 JTDm, and the temperatures dropped around 15C (50C vs 35C at 4500rpm). It's a great intercooler, the 2.0 one. You'll need new hoses though as the ends are wider.
hi guys,

could someone tell me what s the outer diameter of the tubes bolted (63mm , 57mm) ? see pic enclosed
I need to order new hoses but i would like to know what diameter i need before pls...

thx very much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IC giulietta_4 (3).jpg (38.4 KB, 50 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
diesel , giulietta , intercoolers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page