3.0 V6 camshaft/tuning upgrade questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-03-15 Thread Starter

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Stratos builder

3.0 V6 camshaft/tuning upgrade questions

Hi All

Im looking at mild tuning a 3.0 24 valve 166 motor for use in a stratos replica. I want to achieve around 275-290 BHP but try if possible to maintain some reasonable economy relative to the standard engine. Im definetly going for throttle bodies (i need the noise!) and a head skim to get compression up to about 11:1. My main question is around cam changes.
Im considering the Piper cams 270 and the AHM cam.

1, has anyone fited an uprated cam and experienced a big MPG drop due to the inevitable overlap ? i think the AHM cam has more overlap due to longer duration (290 deg. i think)

2, Would it be possible to achieve the horsepower im after without changing the cam at all?

3, Would giving the valves a 3 angle cut and tidying up the ports be a better route?

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Have you bought Jim K's Alfa V6 tuning book? It will be worth its weight in gold to you.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

plus i would talk to Jim K and use his cams as he has proven results with a newer design giving great gains

1. cant see it being an issue half as much as the throttle bodies
2. not sure going to throttle bodies but i doubt body's alone would give you the results and would really compliment the cams
3. from what i,ve read the ports are too big so lack velocity though flow well. three angle seats blended into the port always give good gains at lower valve lifts so twice every time it opens

it would say its worth doing all three if the heads are removed for skimming .. cams would need extra head work as the head needs reliving around the hydraulic lifter area for higher lift cams so might as well get seats and valves cut and get all the benefits
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
On my 2.0TS - throttle bodies added 6kW but that was without plenum and MAF (only TPS input using non-standard ECU)

On my 3.0 V6 I have had my inlet and exhaust cams profiled to GTA-inlet profile. It gave gains, but I have not had a Dyno-run to prove the gains, neither have I remapped for it yet. Still running standard ECU and mapping there. My gas-mileage has not been badly effected at all

So that said - there are gains in both.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
camshaft or tuning , questions , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page