Alfa 147 1.6TS Remap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

Old 17-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Alfa 147 1.6TS Remap

So I was looking to add to probably the other 100 topics of the same name and asking likely the same annoying questions.

I recently bought the 147 1.6TS on a 2007 (07) plate, and I got what I fully expected. I really do enjoy my car and I am glad I went through two years of looking to get what I wanted.

I am contemplating later in the year upgrading the car with an ECU remap, as I have no desire to have any invasive work carried out of the car. My last (and first) car was a 1.25 Fiesta, and hence I have no experience of these topics. I was just looking for some advice regarding what can be done with the 1.6. Really it is probably something where the obvious answer would be "Get a bigger engined car", but I would also like to know if it is practical to have some remapping carried out?

I am in Lancaster, so I would almost certainly have to go to Alfatune for such a service. I have read many great wonders worked with lots of engines, and so I am just asking for the usual advice on such upgrades.

I notice the car can have issues on some types of hill, for example I notice the torque issue on the M6 incline getting out of Preston. I really enjoy the free engine, but it would be nice to have a tweak.

I know I should expect a cost of 300-400, and I should not expect a miracle (1000HP 1.6!!), and to be honest I don't feel experienced enough to drive a stupidly powerful car, but I would like to know if it is worth the upgrade on the 1.6 and what experiences people have had with this particular engine on upgrade.

Thanks

David

PS : Perhaps it is worth collecting all of these particular threads into one sticky thread directing to previous threads with advice on each engine in the top post? I have noticed many difference threads feature the same engine with similar advice. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-14
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David WB View Post
PS : Perhaps it is worth collecting all of these particular threads into one sticky thread directing to previous threads with advice on each engine in the top post? I have noticed many difference threads feature the same engine with similar advice. Just a thought.
Your intentions are noble, but then there is a search function that gets all the thread topics on one screen that you can click through.

The 1.6 is a nice revvy engine, but when it comes to rolling hills - yes the 1.6 lack of torque shows it head

For Turbo motor tuning helps ALOT, but for N/A mapping costs more than the power they deliver. To get decent power out of a N/A engine you need to do the old-school tuning route - de-cat (or at least sports cat) + free flow exhaust, intake optimization (and here are more pitfalls than solutions TBH) , re-profile cams, THEN a remap to make the most of the previous steps. That is the only true way to optimize a particular engine without "buying a bigger motor" / "slap on a turbo"

Last edited by Gertie; 18-08-14 at 08:31.
Old 18-08-14
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Depends on how much mechanical knowledge you have and if you are handy with a spanner.

But a remap can give up to 10% so you will notice a difference. It won't work miricles. But an extra 5-10hp is quite a bit and you can achieve that. It will be expensive to get that though. Gus will be able to give you values and advise though. So give him a call.

The thing is as there are the same cars with bigger engines. Its better to opt for those as it works out cheaper in the long run.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
Old 20-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Sure thing. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated! I shall have a long think about how to go about it and when.

David
Old 22-08-14
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Now THATS how you ask a question

Spot on, young man. The chaps above me here are bob on. You're not gonna end up in "max power" (is it still going?) with a remap but there's supporting mods that should ensure a very mad 1.6 experience!
I understand the non invasive bit, hell, even I'm bored with getting greasy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , 16ts , alfa , remap