GQV P0240 error with Spider Box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 10-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
GQV P0240 error with Spider Box

About 7 months ago I installed a Spider tuning box on my 1750 GQV and have had no issues.

The car was last driven a month ago when outside temp was about 26. Drove the car hard yesterday @34 deg and got Fault code P0240 - Turbocharger/supercharger Boost Sensor "B" Circuit range/Performance-

I cleared the code and drove in D mode, all ok until you push very hard and code reappears

The manual of the box does say that a code might pop up and that power knob needs to be adjusted on the box until the code dissapears.

My question is why did this error pop up now i.e why do I have to reduce power box gives ? Does the ambient temp have something to do with this or is it something else ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

BMW M135i

Its to do with heat mate.

I found that you could drive with high boost just doing a pull here and there. But driving hard for a while especialy when its hot (we tend to go out driving when its nice weather) I used to get this fault code.

I was doing a few laps of the ulster GP circuit last year and after 2 laps of very hard driving I got this code. Was running high boost at the time.

7 being the highest setting for boost, and 8 being the lowest (im not sure if its still the same) I found that running it at about 0, no matter how hard you drive it, it wouldnt have problems with heat.

I also found that when removing the cat and replacing a decat downpipe it dealt with heat better.

Previous, Mito QV, GQV

Current- BMW M135
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 10-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Is there any any way i can trick ecu so i dont have to reduce setting and keep max power from spider box ?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Dont know.. I would say its the car protecting itself so i wouldnt risk it..

If you want more power you have to upgrade the cooling.
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 10-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

You mean by an intercooler ?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Yeah mate.

Better safe then sorry, start making logs and check intake temps yourself
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
Isn't the 240 the catalic convertor ? Wich could be defect?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
having had the GQV for 2.8 years now, it was modded from the start...I think its time I start sharing the do's and don't's of engine tuning, from my own experience.

Software tuning - Only go to a reputable ECU tuner, not a file loader, if this person who tunes the ECU does not know that there are limiters and he can't remove it or don't know how...walk away.

Tuning boxes - it is absolutely vital to run a Spider/Novitec/Magneti within the limitations of the supporting mods(decat DP/intake/replacement airfilter/water meth/larger cooler). I'm currently using a friend's Novitec as I removed my remap some time ago as I was not happy with it anymore. The Novitec I have is broken, it needs an update as it gives errors the moment its connected. But Im running a replacement BMC drop in filter and a complete decat Supersprint exhaust. I've been on the WaterMethanol untuned for about an hour and the noise the pump makes did not excite me, but the immediate cooling benefits, even untuned, could be felt, we trashed the GQV and pulled over, put my hand on the intake pipe leading to the TB where the WMI nozzle is and it was cold as ice! its definately a worhtwhile modification to do if you find the replacement intercoolers for GQV's to be to expensive with little to no benefit reported by the owners.

BUT...imho I'd say for you guys in UK run 98 all the time...if you don't have 98 octane run an octane booster with the Novitec/Spider. remember these boxes are all the same, with only the hella expensive ones controlling fueling according to boost/timing...Novitec controlls timing/boost and TP only...which is BS.

So...if you are running that Spider with NO decat DP...get one soon, the heat you are experiencing is high EGT's that is rediculous as that car is probably boosting 1.4 or 1.5 with an overboost after 6000rpm of 0.1bar boost aswell...your EGT's are through the roof which will be bad for oil!

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5 V6 - Project Swagon
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Rommeo GTV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon SOLD
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Good post.

Yeah the cat in the dp causes big problems with heat.
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 14-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys for your replies. I have ordered an intercooler and ragazzon cat replacement pipe. Hope i will be better with these mods.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanspider View Post
Thanks guys for your replies. I have ordered an intercooler and ragazzon cat replacement pipe. Hope i will be better with these mods.
As in a ragazzon decat down pipe?

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Ragazzon Edelstahl Kat-Ersatzrohr Ragazzon Edelstahl Kat-Ersatzrohr 32201-32300-32301
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
What intercooler?

Oooh please give reviews of it...I'm interested to have one built for me.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 15-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

AO Member

I got this code as well a few days ago. I am not sure if it has to do with temps or it is because i have a decat. I got a watermeth kit and will be installing it in the next few days. Giuli where did you place the tank and the pump if i may ask? If you are planning on increasing boost beyond 1.4 you should do something for cooling. I did my personal logs and its clear to me that the stock intercooler cannot handle temps if you increase boost beyond 1.4 bars. It wont break if you do it, but you will be losing lots of power very quickly. In a really hot day you might as well be faster with a stock map rather than a tuned one as the car will reduce timing and boost by that much after intakes get so warm that it would be desperatly slow. Also you are in danger of engine detonation if it gets too warm which will wear your engine faster. I got the AEM stage 2 watermeth kit. It says that the pump is new and quieter than their older one. I hope its silent enough as it will probably go into the boot
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 19-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuliettaQV View Post
I got this code as well a few days ago. I am not sure if it has to do with temps or it is because i have a decat. I got a watermeth kit and will be installing it in the next few days. Giuli where did you place the tank and the pump if i may ask? If you are planning on increasing boost beyond 1.4 you should do something for cooling. I did my personal logs and its clear to me that the stock intercooler cannot handle temps if you increase boost beyond 1.4 bars. It wont break if you do it, but you will be losing lots of power very quickly. In a really hot day you might as well be faster with a stock map rather than a tuned one as the car will reduce timing and boost by that much after intakes get so warm that it would be desperatly slow. Also you are in danger of engine detonation if it gets too warm which will wear your engine faster. I got the AEM stage 2 watermeth kit. It says that the pump is new and quieter than their older one. I hope its silent enough as it will probably go into the boot
Mind my ignorance, but how are you guys increasing boost is it by remap, addition of chip ?

Also you mentioned logs... are you using Torque with an ELM Bluetooth dongle ?
AO Member

Quote:
Mind my ignorance, but how are you guys increasing boost is it by remap, addition of chip ?

Also you mentioned logs... are you using Torque with an ELM Bluetooth dongle ?
I use torque with an obd bluetooth device. I have a remap
AO Platinum Member

Hi,

I mounted the pump on a race tank that has space for a pump on the tank, i think it was a Devil's Own race tank and the kit was the AEM stage 2 kit.

The vibration is what I could hear, although its pretty quiet...but I could hear it, pedantic I know.

Yes I totally agree, the heat is a major issue, the WMI should solve that for you.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
Hi,

I mounted the pump on a race tank that has space for a pump on the tank, i think it was a Devil's Own race tank and the kit was the AEM stage 2 kit.

The vibration is what I could hear, although its pretty quiet...but I could hear it, pedantic I know.

Yes I totally agree, the heat is a major issue, the WMI should solve that for you.
Thanks for the very helpful comments Giuli. I will have to soundproof the pump somewhere in the boot then as i would hate to hear anything at all while driving. I am happy to know that this will solve my issue though! I will do more logs once its fitted to verify it. I was also thinking if there was a chance of fitting the pump in the front somewhere inside the engine bay. But i think the pump and the tank should be mounted close together. And i think that there is literally no space in the front for that extra water tank
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 14-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Got this error again now all of a sudden. I have the following setup. No Cat, ragazzon downpipe, upgraded intercooler+spider tuning box.

I reduced the power on the Spider box but after a few runs got P0240 again . Could it be that the Spider box is playing up or could it be something else ? I going to remove the spider box and see if I still get the error

Any thaughts ?
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

Take out the boost sensor and give it a clean.
(Post Link) post #22 of 27 Old 16-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I thought of that after reading around but not sure which one it is. I would have thoaught its the sensor having a "T" one tube going in and another going out whilst another from the top situated on top of the engine near the wiper side.

I do wish there is more info on the QV engine such as diagrams. I managed to find this picture. Is the boost sensor No 1 in the picture ?

FE87D054A917E33B114AB38BC15D589A.jpg

Thanks in advance

Last edited by twanspider; 16-11-15 at 07:25.
AO Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Just to give some additional input on this error. Driving through the country I got a check engine light. I ran AlfaOBD through my cell and picked up this same code error just as I was pulling to pass a truck. I initially tried to clear as I had just filled up and thought perhaps the stop had allowed the car to get unusually hot. The error came back again so decided to stop and check vacuum line. Following through this is what I found....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160803_160816_1470235070013.jpg (65.5 KB, 83 views)
AO Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Managed to get the pipe squeezed back in. Cleared error and no recurrence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160803_160937_1470235251758.jpg (64.4 KB, 78 views)

Quote:
I thought of that after reading around but not sure which one it is. I would have thoaught its the sensor having a "T" one tube going in and another going out whilst another from the top situated on top of the engine near the wiper side.

I do wish there is more info on the QV engine such as diagrams. I managed to find this picture. Is the boost sensor No 1 in the picture ?

Attachment 582610

Thanks in advance
@twanspider.. hello mate..just wondering if you were able to sort out the problem and if yes how did you do that?! i have the same issue and it is only coming on D mode and never on N mode... my car has a decat dp 3 inch full exhaust..bigger FMIC, WMI, induction kit and everything it needs to keep temperatures low but i still get this error everytime i drive the car in D mode and push it (goes into limp mode after getting the check engine light and the car wont boost beyond 0,75 bars)..usually when driving in N mode i boost up to 1.8 bars without any problem

some people say it's a problem that the ecu tuner must solve and as i am reading here most of you guys were focusing on hardware solutions for this error..so anyone has an update on how to solve this issue? (is it coming from the MAP sensor or the boost controller N75 Valve)?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
box , error , gqv , p0240 , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page