Mito 2.0JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

4Likes
  • 2 Post By JS JTD
  • 2 Post By Kosterific

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 06-07-14 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Mito

Fitted a 2.0 JTDm in my MiTo (200 BHP, 425 Nm)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to do a engine swap from a 1.6JTDm to a 2.0JTDm from a Giulietta.

Probably gonna do it in 3 weeks. I've already done a lot of research and it seems almost everything is the same. I've bought the 940A400 engine (170BHP), stripped it and put on a new belt and waterpump.

Also, my clutch is being strengthened to hold the new torque (prob 400nm).

Also some other upgrades to my Mito:

OZ Sparco Assetto Gara 18" in Black
Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/40x18"
Bilstein B14PSS coilovers

Plus i'm converting the stock brakes to a 330mm setup with 159 Brembo's painted in Yellow, to match my Mito color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u8u4u7a5.jpg (119.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ejyjyza6.jpg (103.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg zu6amaje.jpg (118.7 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Kosterific; 03-09-14 at 14:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosterific View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to do a engine swap from a 1.6JTDm to a 2.0JTDm from a Giulietta.

Probably gonna do it in 3 weeks. I've already done a lot of research and it seems almost everything is the same. I've bought the 940A400 engine (170BHP), stripped it and put on a new belt and waterpump.

Also, my clutch is being strengthened to hold the new torque (prob 400nm).

Also some other upgrades to my Mito:

OZ Sparco Assetto Gara 18" in Black
Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/40x18"
Bilstein B14PSS coilovers

Plus i'm converting the stock brakes to a 330mm setup with 159 Brembo's painted in Yellow, to match my Mito color
Nice! Are you on www.alfamitoclub.nl too?
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Looks great on coilovers!
Interesting about the engine swap. Keep us updated.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

County: Vlaams Brabant
Wow nice I'm keeping an eye on this. It is legal in The Netherlands to replace the default engine? What about the 'apk'?
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 03-09-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

Mito

I think the MiTo tuning community is not as big as the 147/156 community....too bad!

Fitted the engine and it runs good, see the attached dyno chart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.9 KB, 184 views)
AO Silver Member

Good work there... must be fun to drive

Which gearbox did you use?
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
I think the MiTo tuning community is not as big as the 147/156 community....too bad!
Welcome to AO.

People start "playing" with their cars once it gets a certain age - wait for it - it will come. And then the Mito is much smaller car, the lesser weight does not really need that much extra OOMPH the bigger bodies needs
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Last week I saw this car in reality, it is really a nice project!
The engine bay is really maximum filled now with the 2.0 engine in place.
TS: maybe you can add some pictures.

It was already going quite nice on the 1.6 software, so now it must be a little bombshell to drive!

Kosterific; I guess your mileage numbers are back now to where they used to be?
Because now you aren't fooling the ECU anymore...
AO Member

Hi Kosterific,

I am aware of your project is not the latest news anymore, however I really like the OE approach which in a way is simple, but at the same time very impressive - it must be a car that surprises a lot of people.

You have only given a small insight into your project, and I am sitting with a felling as someone has showed me a present, but I am not allowed to open it
I really hope you will share more about your experience of the project and all the modifications you have done.

@JS JTD, you mentioned you have seen the car live, does that mean you know Kosterific? The reason why I am asking is that he has not be online for a very long time.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp81 View Post
@JS JTD, you mentioned you have seen the car live, does that mean you know Kosterific? The reason why I am asking is that he has not be online for a very long time.
Yes, I know him. He might not been at this forum for a long time, his car is still getting upgraded.
Actually he's running a GTB turbokit which I made for him, mapping is still in progress but it is already a seriously fast Mito!
AO COTY Winner 2017
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2393

Member car:

Brera 2.4 8C Red

Is there any chance to check about brakes upgrade? Upgrading from 305 to 330mm requires only "spacer". If my calculations are correct, those are 14mm?
AO Member

Thanks for your replay JS JTD.

Good lord, a Mito with a GTB turbokit on a 2l engine must run unbelievable well - are we talking about approx. 225hp+ and 450Nm+ figures?
Is there any chance you can get him back in this forum again and share his story? For some reason, the Mito community is stil way behind the remaining models - it good be fun if it slowly could be changed a bit.
Club Member
Membro Medio

He visited me a couple of days ago, so I took some photos of his engine bay.
It really is tight, but the GTB2056v fits!

Mito 2.0 JTDm GTB2056v 1.jpg

Mito 2.0 JTDm GTB2056v 2.jpg

Mito 2.0 JTDm GTB2056v 3.jpg
crossshot and mendoza like this.
AO Member

County: Luxembourg
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta QV

That is an epic build, thanks for the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

Fantastic JS JTD and thank you for sharing more information about this amazing project.

It is surely a tight fit, however the 2.0l engine look very similar in size, compared with the original 1.6l. The GTB2056v turbo is however a different story, I did not imagine it would look so big compared to the engine. One question regarding the turbo, at which RPM does it create full boost - approx. 3000RPM?

Two of my questions have been answered with the photos - OE air box or retrofit box and if the battery has been moved to the trunk. However, all the information that can be shared about this project is highly appreciated.
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS JTD View Post
He visited me a couple of days ago, so I took some photos of his engine bay.
It really is tight, but the GTB2056v fits!

Attachment 792345

Attachment 792353

Attachment 792361

Wow! I drive a 13reg Mito Sportiva 1.6 120hp and I can imagine what an upgrade this should be! I might start looking for a G engine 170 now
AO Member

what about the figures guys? The 0-100,and the 0-400 with the stock G 170 did you run time tests??
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 19-04-18 Thread Starter

Member car:

Mito

Mito 2.0JTDm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words! First of all, the Mito is still driving very good.

After the last upgrade itís still going strong 🤞🏻 Iíve never been on the dyno with the new setup but will in a few weeks.

The conversion to 2.0 is very easy if you use the M32 gearbox. Itís almost plug & play. The upgrade to the GTB2056 with the help of JS JTD is also straight forward. Biggest thing is the piping from the turbo to the intercooler.

Iíve also fitted the flywheel & clutch from 2.0 Giulietta. That works really well, only had to make a shim for my starter.

Clutch has a reinforced plate (organic) provided by JS JTD. Other then that is the flywheel & pressure plate stock.

0-100 numbers are not available. Itís not important to me. Still using the M32 gearbox and donít want to wreck it because I want to get the fastest numbers. Driveability is more important and the thing goes! Topspeed 230 km/h. I think the M32 is limiting (short gearing).

M32 gearbox is still in one piece tbh, only replaced the bearings once. Never had any problems with the higher torque.
crossshot and mendoza like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words! First of all, the Mito is still driving very good.

After the last upgrade it’s still going strong ���� I’ve never been on the dyno with the new setup but will in a few weeks.

The conversion to 2.0 is very easy if you use the M32 gearbox. It’s almost plug & play. The upgrade to the GTB2056 with the help of JS JTD is also straight forward. Biggest thing is the piping from the turbo to the intercooler.

I’ve also fitted the flywheel & clutch from 2.0 Giulietta. That works really well, only had to make a shim for my starter.

Clutch has a reinforced plate (organic) provided by JS JTD. Other then that is the flywheel & pressure plate stock.

0-100 numbers are not available. It’s not important to me. Still using the M32 gearbox and don’t want to wreck it because I want to get the fastest numbers. Driveability is more important and the thing goes! Topspeed 230 km/h. I think the M32 is limiting (short gearing).

M32 gearbox is still in one piece tbh, only replaced the bearings once. Never had any problems with the higher torque.
I guess it’s the same compatible with the C635 gearbox that I have then starting to have some thoughts already

Can you share more info please? Like what about the wirings,did you fit the Giulietta’s ECU easy into the mito,is it everything compatible ?
(Post Link) post #20 of 22 Old 20-04-18 Thread Starter

Member car:

Mito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoza View Post
I guess itís the same compatible with the C635 gearbox that I have then starting to have some thoughts already

Can you share more info please? Like what about the wirings,did you fit the Giuliettaís ECU easy into the mito,is it everything compatible ?

Yes, ofcourse! My mito was 1.6 JTDm, so had to do nothing with wiring. Used the same wiring and ecu. 2.0 has swirlvalves in manifold, egt sensor and 1.6 doesnít. No big deal.
AO Member

Quote:
Yes, ofcourse! My mito was 1.6 JTDm, so had to do nothing with wiring. Used the same wiring and ecu. 2.0 has swirlvalves in manifold, egt sensor and 1.6 doesnít. No big deal.

Very good to know

Thank you so much, itís sounds relatevily easy mod very and this makes it very tempting ,I can imagine how well it pulls off with the 170 G engine, and the smile on your face when you drive it
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoza View Post
Wow! I drive a 13reg Mito Sportiva 1.6 120hp and I can imagine what an upgrade this should be! I might start looking for a G engine 170 now
You could try the GTB2056v on the 1.6, dont think thats been done before and it would be a bit easier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
20jtdm , mito

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page