Giulietta 1M question - Bilstein B6 or B8 with H&R sport springs? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Coimbra
Giulietta 1M question - Bilstein B6 or B8 with H&R sport springs?

Hello,

simple question:

What's the best shock for the H&R springs (-30mm) to be fitted in my Giulietta?

The reason I'm asking this is because in the Bilstein website, the claim that the B6 is for stock springs or lowering up to 30mm, and B8 is for lowering springs lower than 30mm.

Several sources have provided me with different feedback, some say that the adequate for any lowering is the B8, because the B6 is intended for stock springs, some say that the B6 will provide a more comfortable ride than the harshness of the B8.

Alfisti sells the B6+Eibach prokit setup so they claim that the adequate for -30mm is the B6. However, the Bilstein B12 prokit which has the prokit springs (-30mm) appears to be fitted now with the B8 instead of B6 like in the past.

I'm running on stock shocks for 20k Km now, and I'm starting to feel a bouncy ride, soft and bouncy, not a controlled spring behaviour, so I assume that the stock shocks are near dead.

I want the car to be composed and not bouncy when going over bumps or road depressions, but I don't want BMW M harsh ride!

Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
What kind of roads do you travel on? 20k km is not much at all - the shocks should last longer than that

Are you just expecting more from the suspension? (Your need for -30mm is telling your subconscious the car is bouncy?) Ether way - firmness is subjective (no golden answer) it seems you like a firmer ride - so get the B8's
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
I'd get B8's. They have shortened piston rod, so IMHO with lowered spring, piston inside shock absorber is closer to its top dead centre, having more of the fluid under to do the job.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 11-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Coimbra
I've read alot that the B8's would provide an harsh ride and many people tend to choose the B6s instead, when lowering 30mm.

Given that the valving is the same, only the piston starting position and travel length is different: B8 piston starts at beginning of the tube, an with B6 I assume the piston will never rest at the start of the tube because of the lowering of the springs.

But since they both have the same fluid and valving, should't they perform just the same on the same springs (-30mm)?

Besided, Bilsteins states that the B6's can be used with lowering up to 30mm, but won't the lowering of 30mm wear out the shocks faster than using a B8?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Or you could go one better and get KW's
AO Member

I have the HR springs with B6's on my 156 SW (2.4JTD) and they give a much smoother ride over the normal B road undulations compared to my GQV.
On these B roads the QV driven normally gives a much more bumpy ride to the 156' HR/B6 set-up.
When pushed though the QV's more firm damping comes into its own, although it does tend to skip when cornering on un-even surfaces!

I too wondered what the best compromise would be!

For my liking a damper giving softer initial absorption, but with a progressive damping force to match the springs (progressive rate springs) is my first thought.

For the QV I'm thinking of KW's at the moment. Once I get the engine performance back following Alfa's software update during servicing. But thats another story.

Any one fitted KW's or HR/B6 (know as the B12 Kit), or another suspension combination to their G?

CannonBall UK

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
1m , bilstein , giulietta , handr , question , sport , springs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page