Supersprint/Ragazzon odd sound - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Help Supersprint/Ragazzon odd sound

Hi folks,

I recently fitted a Supersprint backbox to my v6. At the same time I replaced the centre silencer with a Ragazzon stainless section with silencer.

I'm happy enough with the general way it sounds and looks.. BUT it sounds very "boomy" in the car at exactly 2,000 RPM. It seems to resonate inside the car and it's a bit unpleasant. It sounds much better at 2,500+ RPM though.

So far I've done about 300 miles with the new system. It quietened down a fair bit in the first 100 miles as it was bedding in but I'm not sure if the boomy sound is going to go away.

Is the culprit the centre section, or the backbox I wonder?? I'm thinking I'm going to have to change something as it is quite annoying

Gav.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
i put a complete super sprint exhaust on my bella and i have to admit for about the first 100 miles or so it made my ears pop, but it quieten done alot since settling in ,now it has a pleasant growl sound which changes subtly as i go through the box

Last edited by alfa 4 ever; 31-05-14 at 15:10.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
That'll be the mid silencer, its generally reducing the volume/raspiness but introducing boom in a specific, narrow point of the rev range. I would try it with your original mid section and see if you notice any difference. Which Supersprint backbox was it, can you post up a link?
(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Hi Dan,

My original centre section is toast unfortunately - rotten. I had planned changing one thing at a time but both that and the backbox needed replacing..
So there's no getting away from the boom then?

This is the backbox:
Supersprint 753126 Alfa Romeo 156

This is the centre section:
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styli...cer::2863.html
(Post Link) post #5 of 31 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 4 ever View Post
i put a complete super sprint exhaust on my bella and i have to admit for about the first 100 miles or so it made my ears pop, but it quieten done alot since settling in ,now it has a pleasant growl sound which changes subtly as i go through the box
Supersprint are a nice piece of kit alright, slightly better made than the Ragazzon I'd say. I would have gone with a Supersprint from the cat back but they don't seem to do a silenced centre section in stainless for my car.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Do you have the standard cat fitted still, or something else in its place?

Its difficult to get away from silencer boom. A straight through centre section might make it louder in general but reduce the boominess at that specific point, but it really does depend how that backbox is constructed internally.

You could have a welder add a quarter wave tube to the mid section maybe.
(Post Link) post #7 of 31 Old 31-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Everything else is standard, cat and all. It's just the one main cat.

I wonder is it just the combination of silencers then causing the problem - if it was all one make then the boom might not be a problem..
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
have a look for a JTD centre section from a breaker. Same size as V6 and doesn't have a silencer. If this changes the boom, you know that it's the centre section. If it doesn't, it's the backbox.

Shouldn't cost much either
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant
For sure it is the supersprint backbox.
I have one myself as well on my GTA (rest of exhaust still standard) and i also notice too much boom until 2500r/min.
More noticeable inside the car, than outside. It is caused by the design of the backbox (believe because it is absorbtion demper, but not sure there - may also be reflection demper) which is notoriuos of producing these booms.

I am trying to live with it, as above 2500revs it quiets up and starts to produce glorious sound all the way up to 7000 r/min :-)

Hope this helps (and may save you the trouble of switching the center pipe, as it will not help)

Alfa Romeo 156 SW GTA 3.2 V6 24v and Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1750 TBi QV
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Are you guys talking about powerloop or race version? I had the powerloop with supersprint center on mine and don't remember any boomyness.
(Post Link) post #11 of 31 Old 01-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
have a look for a JTD centre section from a breaker. Same size as V6 and doesn't have a silencer. If this changes the boom, you know that it's the centre section. If it doesn't, it's the backbox.

Shouldn't cost much either
yes good thinking that would be a good option to try, thanks.
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 01-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieB View Post
I have one myself as well on my GTA (rest of exhaust still standard) and i also notice too much boom until 2500r/min.
More noticeable inside the car, than outside. It is caused by the design of the backbox (believe because it is absorbtion demper, but not sure there - may also be reflection demper) which is notoriuos of producing these booms.

I am trying to live with it, as above 2500revs it quiets up and starts to produce glorious sound all the way up to 7000 r/min :-)

Hope this helps (and may save you the trouble of switching the center pipe, as it will not help)
That's not good news, I was hoping the centre section was the culprit! These backboxes are not cheap - I would have thought they'd notice this during product testing.

How many miles have you driven presumably it quietened down a bit after some 100kms?
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 01-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Are you guys talking about powerloop or race version? I had the powerloop with supersprint center on mine and don't remember any boomyness.
Not sure which version mine is, that option seems to be for GTA only..
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Hi Gav (nice name, same as me!).

My experience with exhaust sound is that it is 50% knowledge and 50% trial and error. I am part way through getting a new exhaust for my Giulietta Cloverleaf. I have a bit of a boomy noise around 3,000 rpm following getting a new rear section made. I can live with it at the mo, but will address it when I get the centre section done.

You would think though that if you bought a complete set up by one manufacturer they would have sorted that, so an unsilenced centre section like Supersprint offer would the first place to start, as CS155 has stated. I would also be tempted to go direct to Supersprint and tell them your problem and see what they say.

If you went to a bespoke exhaust manufacturer they would make a new centre section for half the price.

I understand that Supersprint are generally louder than Ragazzon though, so it may still be loud but in a more pleasant way.

Good luck!
AO Silver Member

cant comment on the ragazzon but my supersprint set up sounds glorious
(Post Link) post #16 of 31 Old 01-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Yes it is a cool name isn't it
I can see where the trial and error part is starting to come into it..
Would an unsilenced middle section not just be louder at all RPM though?
Thought I read somewhere the middle section did most of the silencing in the v6, in the OEM setup anyway..
AO Member

Quote:
Maybe, but your other options would involve replacing or cannibalising your Supersprint or Ragazzon sections. For the latter you would have to find and pay someone who knew what they were doing and hope they didn't make a dog's dinner of it.

What I'll be doing is replacing the centre section for a bigger bore pipe, at first with no centre silencer. I think knowing what that sounds like will make it easier to decide how to proceed.
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
What's the advantage in going 'aftermarket' compared to the factory exhaust?

My Brera v6 will need a new centre to rear splitter section soon but I am not happy paying a premium for aftermarket kit, which gives negligible performance gains, can as we've seen in this post, cause noise issues and may not sound as good as the factory system (which sounds good and is loud enough for me).

(I did have a Supersprint cat back system on a previous car and it lost significant torque at low rpm and didn't gain any at higher rpm, and it didn't sound any better than the stock one so i felt it was a total waste of money)

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
AO Member

Good question Oldie. I had a 156 GTA and I was entirely happy with that - I didn't consider changing anything on it.

I have had my G Cloverleaf from new, and is now 2 years old, and that's about the time that I start to think about changing cars. With no practical AR to replace it with, I decided to keep it and address some of the things I don't like about it. (And maybe buy a GTV Spider as a second car.)

I don't like that it is a very quiet car - I don't want racket, just something to let you know you are in a sports cars. Having a better flowing exhaust also greatly benefits turbo cars, and can allow a remap to a ridiculous 300 BHP making it the GTA style that I was hoping AR would release.

I guess it is knowing where to stop, as I would also like to get a more sporty suspension set-up and maybe even the Quaife differential.
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

I had a straight through pipe from the cat to a Supersprint back box with the oval pipe it looked and sounded fantastic
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
I had a straight through pipe from the cat to a Supersprint back box with the oval pipe it looked and sounded fantastic
now your talking ,same as mine
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinH View Post
Yes, generally louder but you might find it doesn't have as much resonant boominess. Its black magic
(Post Link) post #23 of 31 Old 02-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Thanks for all the advice folks. I think I'll try an unsilenced centre section and take it from there.
In any case I will be leaving as is for another few hundred miles so I'll see if it quietens down any with some more miles.
And hopefully my hearing will still be intact afterwards

cheers!
Gav.
(Post Link) post #24 of 31 Old 02-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Yes, generally louder but you might find it doesn't have as much resonant boominess. Its black magic
I suppose that is why they call your exhaust expert friend the "Wizard"..
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieB View Post

Have the supersprint under my car for approx three years and I'd guess 20.000km
The boom is still there.

But note...I have a busso GTA, nit a Giulietta like you (missed that in your question...)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
nasty , odd , sound , supersprint or ragazzon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page