Castrol R as a fuel additive? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex
Castrol R as a fuel additive?

Hi guys, now I know this will sound a bit odd to those who do not know the beautiful smell of Castrol R but bare with me. Castrol R was the racing engine oil of choice during the 60s, 70s and into the 80s. Anybody who went to bike races or hot rods will know exactly what I am talking about.
I am on a quest to have my GTV 3L smell of R. I have read on other motoring forums that adding a little R to your fuel achieves the effect but I have gone up to 3ml per litre of fuel and still nothing????? The other forums suggested that the desired smell would be achieved at 1ml to 1 litre of fuel. I wouldn't want to up the mix any more without some reassurance. This is a real long shot but has anybody else had any experience of trying to get the R smell.
I should say that I bought a 1L bottle of Castrol R40 and have tried adding it into my lawn mower and strimmer and it works a treat!!! I now have a racing smelling lawn mower and strimmer but not a GTV.
Yes I know I'm a bit odd but the GTV looks the part, sounds the part and I want it to smell the part. Trying to cover all the senses! Not sure how to achieve taste and touch though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
could the catalyst be masking the smell? that's obviously missing from the lawn mower and strimmer!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Could you just pour some in your footwell? Or does it have to smell of the R burning, not just being there?
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hmmm, catalytic converter, good point. Mine has a Ragazzon (wrong spelling I think) exhaust but I guess it has a cat in it somewhere. Yes I should know if it does or not but I've only had the GTV 6 months and have been concentrating on more pressing issues other than jacking it up to look underneath just for fun. Now I have a reason to jack it up.
I also run an MGF and have tried Castrol R in that with no smell effect. The point being is that I know there is a de-cat pipe available for around £100 for the MGF. Also from forums that I won't go through the emissions test with the cat so I'll need to change it over for each MOT. Easyish job on the MGF.
BAZZA, Castrol R needs to be burnt to get the R smell. It doesn't really smell as a liquid. I also think it needs to be burnt at high temperature as believe it or not I poured a few drops into a tee light in the house! The tee light burnt for a lot longer but no R smell. Yes call me weird!
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
or R isn't what it used to be?
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

The Castrol R of today gives the same smell as always, I've tried it in my mower and it's fabulous.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Garage
Oh brings back memories of the Suzuki RM my mate had
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

the smell of castrol R

Bit further down the thread is a "10ml in a 5L petrol can of castor oil" comment...
Hmm....
R. Smells like being a hooligan...
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

N/A

The smell is castor oil type 2 stroke. It has no place in a modern 4 stroke vehicle.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
I owned an International Norton 500cc Bevel Gear OHC when I were a 'yoof'. The 'R' was the oil in the lub system as standard.

Brooklands Can reverse cone silencer, TT9 carburettor, so I had the 'R' stink, and the Brooklands Howl!

Probably the 'cat' gobbles it up....., but I did achieve the same stinky effect with brake fluid added to the tank on my old two stroke engines Yamaha YDS3 and the old MZ back and forth to work workhorse.

Castor oil from the chemist clears your bowels, and that mixed with ether and paraffin was the fuel for my ED comp 2cc. back in the '50's iirc?

I'm thinking about fitting a small 2stroke motor to my bike maybe, as my legs get a bit tired nowadays, spoonful of that in the tank will get other road users guessing?

Days of old at Brands, Surtees in the Lola,Clarke and the rest of the gang, and the smell of 'R', I just dream of now, and they are real sweet dreams I can tell you?

Hope this helps, but doubt it will??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
additive , castrol , fuel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page