Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 TS Turbo Upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Attica
Garage

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 TS Turbo Upgrade

Hello to all .

I'm interested in upgrading my engine's performance with a turbo. I'm not interested in extreme numbers of horse power and torque.

I know I could go for a bigger engine such as a 2.5 V6 or a 3.2 or even a 2.0 TS but unfortunately here in Greece there are not many V6's (and even fewer in good condition) plus I would have to declare it which is a huge no-no thanks to our minister's economical policy.

What I need to know is, what I need of parts? Certain brands maybe? I could go to Autodelta since they do have a representative in Greece but they ask for a lot more than my budget.

My engine is in as good as new condition since it was rebuilded some months ago. I believe I have a good base to start with. I know TS' are not bullet-proof so I suppose I need to start there?

I have given an estimation of 4.000 GBP.. I suppose it's OK?

Thank you very much for your time. Even if your truly and only opinion is to not go for it, you can tell me. Is just that at the moment that's my only option for the 156.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
A 0.4bar turbo works fine with stock internals and is a nice upgrade in power - it takes a 2.0TS from ~150HP to ~200HP

Well for a turbo application you will need a new exhaust manifold, (maybe even complete new exhaust). The turbo itself can be anywhere between cheap (2nd hand 1.9L diesel turbo) and expensive (Garret ball bearing turbo) to ridiculous (Borg Warner EFR). You will need an Front Mount Intercooler. You will need some oil feed to the turbo and most probably water cooling. You will need a blow-off valve to protect your throttle and turbo from surge.

You get quite a bit more air because of turbo, so you will have to get more fuel than what the stock injectors can ever give - here are 2 options:
1: Replace current 4 injectors with bigger injectors, so injection timing is still within the ECU's reach...
2: Add 2 medium sized injectors with a stand-alone small ECU to only inject when you drive the car IN-BOOST
Option 2 is easier to tune and cheaper on fuel if your drive OFF-BOOST

I suggest you keep the stock ECU - and that means keeping the MAF sensor on the intake side, not boost side and recirculate the blow off to the intake (after MAF) - So it is:
Air filter -> MAF -> Blow-off recirculate in -> Turbo compressor -> Blow-off valve through -> throttle -> normal intake manifold -> engine

Generally the fuel pump will be able to provide enough flow in a low boost application like 0.4bar, but any higher and you might need a bigger pump.

Last edited by Gertie; 10-03-14 at 09:09.
AO Member

Why do you say that about Borg Wagner? Did you have any previous experience? About exhaust manifold, would a diesel be ok? The same goes for ic from diesel.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Why do you say that about Borg Warner? Did you have any previous experience? About exhaust manifold, would a diesel be ok? The same goes for ic from diesel.
Do a search on Borg Warner EFR turbo's - they are kick-ass, but VERY expensive.

You are NOT doing ANYTHING OEM by adding a turbo to car that was designed for a N/A motor. So you have to make the puzzle work. You know the saying about skinning a cat...

Diesel engines run on lower RPM than Petrol so in general they have to pump a bit less air than Petrol, that is why I referenced a 1.9 diesel turbo MIGHT have the right compressor maps that MIGHT work for your design 1.6 Petrol. If a diesel manifold fits AND it makes the turbo sit in a convenient spot - then lucky you... but I doubt it. Then the same goes for intercooler - if you are happy with the flow characteristics and it fits - great - but again your chassis legs / bumper might not be 100% suited so be prepared for some modifications - at very least mounting brackets of some sort are needed

Last edited by Gertie; 10-03-14 at 09:26.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , alfa , romeo , turbo , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page