Help with my citroen c5 Horrible suspension! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

Help with my citroen c5 Horrible suspension!

I didn't know where to post this, I have had 3 alfas in the past and have gained excellent support and help from here. A newborn baby made me do a ridiculous thing and swap a beautiful 2.0jts gt for a citroen c5! From one extreme to another I know. Now at this time, I cannot afford to swap cars again. My next car WILL be a 159ti diesel but I cannot do it at present.
Anyway, the problem.....

Citroen c5 2.0hdi VTR+ is actually a nice looking car (in black) and got loads of kit on and a high spec but AWFUL suspension, it's like driving a speedboat! My wife didnt come on test drive so we didn't realise until after a few weeks but she suffers from motion sickness and cannot bear to be In The car! I drove 80 miles of B roads last week and the car is so soft, it really is like been on a boat! It just has standard suspension, not the active stuff where you can change it. Are they steel or air suspension or something? It is like all 4 corners are on separate road surfaces sometimes and the car twists round a corner instead of steering! I know some people like that type of thing but not me! It is like driving a bowl of jelly!

So, I know this is a alfa forum but you guys and gals are such a helpful bunch compared to the unhelpful arrogant people on citroen forums, I thought I would ask you first. What can I do to make the ride better/stiffer. I have tried over inflating tires but no different, it's the characteristics of the citroen suspension I think, could it be changed for standard suspension from another Marques?

I promise I will come back to a alfa 159 and for all of you who told me not to do it...... I can hear you saying "I told you so" and I should have listened, I will next time!

Kind regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
hello mate, the C5 is a hydraulic suspension system and takes a while to get used to it, my mate has one and i understand what you mean by feeling boaty. he hates it and he works for citroen!

sell it.

get a 159. (but they are massive too)
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

I could sell it and get a 159 but the 159 would be a real high miler and to be honest, the wife would really go mad. She knows I don't like the c5 and knows my dream car is a 159ti and is happy for me to get one in the future. The citroen has 2 years free servicing and a 2 year warranty so when things are so tight due to the 6m old baby, I am lumbered with the c5 until 18m to 2 years so I want to make best of a bad situation by maybe changing the suspension or certain parts of it...
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
as said, the C5 has hydropneumatic suspension.... I don't think there would be an easy or cheap way to change anything, as it's a completely different principle as "standard" suspension...

CitroŽn C5 technical

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscella...aulics-14.html
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

I just read on wiki that the c5 came with either the suspension I have or standard suspension so maybe there is hope yet?
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

My car doesn't have the hydro active suspension. I'm not sure it actually has the hydropneaumatic suspension, on a service document it says I have standard metal suspension so I'm wondering if it's just normal standard suspension as apparently both options were available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (123.1 KB, 5 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
What year of C5 is it?

I have driven both the Earlier noughties C5 and the later (Mid noughties) facelifted version, and they are very boat like compared to an Alfa.
I found that they do actually corner pretty well, it is just you have absolutley no feedback as you are doing it.

I am afraid you will either have to get used to it or sell it.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

It's a 08 plate. I have actually got some good help from my citroen forum. We think my car has steel suspension NOT hydropneaumatic suspension so I am possibly going to look at some lower and stiffer shocks to make it better.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The easiest way to check is to stick your head under the front wheelarch.

If you see a spring then you have standard suspension.

If you see a round sphere that looks like a toilet ballcock then you have hydraulic.

Don't they have some weird steering system too which has little feel?

Some lower springs and uprated dampers should improve things though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
citroen , horrible , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page