ts inlet manifold and plenum - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 21-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8ts

ts inlet manifold and plenum

A bit of technical advice please for my CF3. i have read the posts about increasing the size of the throttle body and the limited gain, but where in the system is the restriction? Assuming the general inlet to the throttle body is free flowing, is the restriction the cylinder head or the manifold/plenum. I am not suggesting that I try and design and fabricate my own plenum as this is very complicated. Does anybody know of an alternative to the plastic variable plenum for added performance or should I just use the plastic one and consentrate on the head? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Sofia
Hope you don't mind me using your thread, but is the alloy inlet better than the plastic, in terms of performance. ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 22-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8ts

Well Happy

Thanks for your comment, hopefully someone will be able to say a standard head will draw a maximum of Xm3 of air per second and the manifold/plenum can take Ym3 of air a second therefore you can modify the head by a Z% before the manifold/plenum becomes a problem. Lets see who knows the technical stuff?
AO Member

On the Alfa 156 forum, there's a 1.8 16v with autodelta cams and remap package and SS exhaust and pushes 175 dyno HP. That says to me that the head flows pretty good and the inlet too.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 22-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8ts

My alfa also has the autodelta cams, chip etc and goes ok, but it could go better. Do I fit anther manifold (with a bigger throttle body) or leave all that alone and just gas flow the head. Which will give more bang for my buck
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Morning..
I have fitted a2.0 throttle body and inlet manifold to my 1.6 and it changed the whole car.
Is yours a 2l or 1.6?

The heads on the 2.0 and the 1.6 are the same part number so theres room to breathe on the 1.6!
(Cams, inlet, throttle body and primary decat and mines a bit of a giggle to drive )
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody2late View Post
My alfa also has the autodelta cams, chip etc and goes ok, but it could go better. Do I fit anther manifold (with a bigger throttle body) or leave all that alone and just gas flow the head. Which will give more bang for my buck
Gas flow will give you a good bang for buck after the cams and chip. If done right should give you near 15hp and torque through all the rev range.
Some say the stock throttle body is good for 200+hp.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8ts

Hi Egon thanks for your reply, my car is the 1.8 with the same throttle body, manifold etc as the 2.0. If I stepped these up further would I get the same result as you or would I reach the limit of the flow of the head? As Pyle noted the Throttle body is good for 200bhp (although we all want bigger) so really we are back to the Manifold and Plenum abilities. Hopefully you follow my train of thought. Many other tunners for other manufacturers make a big play on inlet manifolds, but apart from ITB's I find very little for the Alfa ts.
AO Member

The manifold should also push past 200hp so tweak elsewhere

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
inlet , manifold , plenum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page