Chipping/Remapping a 159 3.2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
Hmmm Chipping/Remapping a 159 3.2

Are there any chips or remaps available for the 3.2 engine in the 159? I would prefer something like a tunable chip as it can be removed to return the car to stock but would like to know the following as well, if possible:
Which is best, chipping or remapping?
What are the expected power gains?

I have heard claims of up to 224kW for a remap plus induction and decat. This sounds a bit much for a naturally aspirated engine, not so?

Thanks in advance for info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Can't comment on the real output as I've not put it on RR but I used swan tuning in Tolworth And I've had autodelta remaps bot very good but not removable unless you have a spare ecu to swap out. Makes major did to how the car pulls and drives in general. Also slight mpg improvement on gentle throttle use/motorway. no change on heavy right foot driving just smoother and more responsive as electronic throttle is also modified for response and rev limit is raised. Have also had high flow panel airfilter and a sports cat fitted. All helps drivability.

Mj

Autodelta -Jano tweaked remap, Free flow intake, 100cell sports CAT, hand made free flow SS rear boxes + grooved + drilled front & rear disks and DS2500s

When making your choice in life, do not neglect to live. *Samuel Johnson
Take a chance while you still got the choice. * Bon Scott
Oh Sh$t I bought another Alfa. *Mj
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Good to hear of positive results. Anyone had a chip fitted?
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Ian, you won't want to hear this but FR&R tuned m3's ECU in the day. I'd say tune the ECU, fit complete exhaust, do induction, BMC CDA works! Then do your cams...have you tried OB? I'm running the GTV. On OB and it runs nice, responsive and hard pull to redline.
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

What makes you beleive an M3 is better than an Alfa? I'd rather fit a BMC drop in filter as it flows waaaay beter than a CDA because it has 4 times the surface area. I would need 2 CDA's at least and the cost just becomes ridiculous then.

Even if someone remapped Rolls Royce engines, I'd still prefer a chip. It lets your ECU work as designed, but feeds it preset parameters to ensure that it advances spark timing, adjusts valve timing, alters fueling etc. for maximum power. It still maintains safe parameters such as maximum spark advance, RPM limits and self-adjustment of fuel trims.

Ian Lusso
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lusso View Post
What makes you beleive an M3 is better than an Alfa? I'd rather fit a BMC drop in filter as it flows waaaay beter than a CDA because it has 4 times the surface area. I would need 2 CDA's at least and the cost just becomes ridiculous then.

Even if someone remapped Rolls Royce engines, I'd still prefer a chip. It lets your ECU work as designed, but feeds it preset parameters to ensure that it advances spark timing, adjusts valve timing, alters fueling etc. for maximum power. It still maintains safe parameters such as maximum spark advance, RPM limits and self-adjustment of fuel trims.
I'd say chip is less safe than a (good) remap, as the chip can only work with the information it is given from the sensors that it plugs into which are very limited - in fact not sure what one would use on a n/a car? - throttle position +...?
AO Platinum Member

M3 is just better ian...like it or not, proven time and time again...I mean 3.8 vs stock M3 and still no give.

Anyhooo...ok then get a chip for the 159 3.2 and let's see how it works, testing can then be done.
AO Member

County: -
Giuli, what's an OB?
AO Platinum Member

octane booster...I added to my tuned 3.0 GTV and it made a slight difference, but even more at 5000-7000rpm, my car has a uniQ added.

Thus I'm saying Ian must add a chip and see, most guys who have done the remap on 3.2 have been happy...or did I read wrong?
AO Member

County: -
I see..... I'm running higher compression now. Approximately 11.1

I used Toulene as my OB, and the car while powerful after the mods, with Toulene, its another half step up.
AO Platinum Member

Yes toulene is an additive in the OB i think, I'm not sure so don't quote me and I'm too lazy to Google now.

I know some street cars run nitro meth and its totaly beast mode from there...until internals melt of course.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Don't think you can get toluene over here as it's one part of the t in TNT. Local constabulary and HM armed forces look dimly on having, buying,owning, or ever using it I believe.
Mj
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 28-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
M3 is just better ian...like it or not, proven time and time again...I mean 3.8 vs stock M3 and still no give.
Lance, you don't know Cape Town very well do you… My GTV is still a 3.2 and will hold it's own against an E46 SMG M3. And Rush's brother's car (3.7L GTV) rips M3's apart at the seams. Even e90 M3's…

Sorry for jacking my own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
I'd say chip is less safe than a (good) remap, as the chip can only work with the information it is given from the sensors that it plugs into which are very limited - in fact not sure what one would use on a n/a car? - throttle position +...?
Phil, a remap is as good as the guy installing the map. What it does is essentially the same as a chip, but just digitally. A chip will alter readings from MAP, MAF, O2, etc. sensors to allow the ECU to calculate new values for ignition timing, fuelling and throttle position. The fact that it runs on the stock ECU means it still incorporates all safety features built in, like limp modes, power restrictions for cold engines, reactions to knock sensors, lean mixtures and overfueling etc. Modern day "chips" in SA are more like additional ECU's (SA engineered Dastek Uni-Q for example) and they can interrogate any signal and feed it to the car's ECU and even make a signal up to feed the ECU, and even rpm sensor signals to alter timing, variable valve timing to alter operation for greater power instead of economy, etc.

When someone remaps your engine, they wipe the original map clean and train your car to do stuff that it's not designed to. So the management system may not react the way it's supposed to when things go wrong. This could lead to engine damage over the long run as your car very often gets taught what the dyno operator thinks are the right figures for fuel mixture, knock reaction, etc.

For that reason I would prefer to have a chip fitted than a remap.

Last edited by Ian Lusso; 28-01-14 at 17:34.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lusso View Post
Lance, you don't know Cape Town very well do you… My GTV is still a 3.2 and will hold it's own against an E46 SMG M3. And Rush's brother's car (3.7L GTV) rips M3's apart at the seams. Even e90 M3's…

Sorry for jacking my own thread!

Phil, a remap is as good as the guy installing the map. What it does is essentially the same as a chip, but just digitally. A chip will alter readings from MAP, MAF, O2, etc. sensors to allow the ECU to calculate new values for ignition timing, fuelling and throttle position. The fact that it runs on the stock ECU means it still incorporates all safety features built in, like limp modes, power restrictions for cold engines, reactions to knock sensors, lean mixtures and overfueling etc. Modern day "chips" in SA are more like additional ECU's (SA engineered Dastek Uni-Q for example) and they can interrogate any signal and feed it to the car's ECU and even make a signal up to feed the ECU, and even rpm sensor signals to alter timing, variable valve timing to alter operation for greater power instead of economy, etc.

When someone remaps your engine, they wipe the original map clean and train your car to do stuff that it's not designed to. So the management system may not react the way it's supposed to when things go wrong. This could lead to engine damage over the long run as your car very often gets taught what the dyno operator thinks are the right figures for fuel mixture, knock reaction, etc.

For that reason I would prefer to have a chip fitted than a remap.
Just don't think a chip will owrk with this particular application

for the ECU used on the 3.2JTS, I thought the only way to tune them is by taking the ECU out and loading directly via a rig - ie no OBD2/chip compatability?

- Hence why companies like Squadra Tuning that usually produce plug & play chips for a lot a applications require customers to mail their ECU for JTS tuning
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 sw 2.5

Ian, let me get you into contact will Ash from GTS. He does remaps but he is an Alfitsi as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , chipping or remapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page