EGR questions - 1.9JTD 8 valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-13 Thread Starter

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

EGR questions - 1.9JTD 8 valve

First of all the car: 2005 Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD (8 valve, 115bhp engine), 5 spd manual gearbox, 107,000 miles.

Hi all, I realise that there are tons of posts on the forum regarding the EGR valve, blanking plates, taking apart & cleaning etc but many (all?) of these posts seem to be aimed at the JTDM 16 valve engine which uses a different valve.

I was getting a fair bit of smoke on acceleration &, after finding no splits in my top/bottom hoses, I decided to take the EGR valve off (held on with 3 x 13mm bolts & a few - hard to reach - 6mm allen head bolts) & clean it over the weekend.

I ended up with this assembly on my work bench:

I removed the convoluted pipes - so that I was left with the valve only - & cleaned the bits I could reach but didn't take the actual valve apart (as shown in the excellent pdf instructions I printed off the other day). The valve was pretty coked up & a fair bit of cr*p came out of it. I refitted it all - quite fiddly as one of the allen headed bolts is v hard to reach & now that it's back on the car most of the smoke, under accelleration, seems to have gone. The car performs well still - it always feels to have more than 115bhp to me but I don't think it's been tuned - but it also sounds a fair bit noisier to me. I've checked for loose bolts/leaks etc & can't find anything wrong, though the engine cover is a bit loose (all 4 bolts are present) so this may have something to do with it - to be honest I'm just glad the car works still!

I'm pretty sure that blanking plates are available for this valve - I presume that this one is suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VD-EGR-bla...item3388547ed1 - it's so simple that I'm sure I could make one.

Anyway can anyone tell me where in the above assembly I'd fit the blanking plates as there are 2 possible places for it to fit & would it bring the engine management light (or any other warning light for that matter) up on the dashboard? For the first tme in ages the car has no warning lights on & it'd be nice to keep it that way!

Many thanks & apologies for asking what has, probably, already been asked before

Last edited by pauluspaolo; 09-12-13 at 10:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
No warning lights on your engine... just fit the plate from link and youre done.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

best thing you can do for the car and yourself save you loads problems down the line .It will improve your low down pull and might improve your diesel consumption but don't quote me on that lol

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
19jtd , egr , questions , valve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page