Project V6 JTS RAM-AIR Induction mod - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Project V6 JTS RAM-AIR Induction mod

OK, I was looking into induction mods for brera/159 V6 and could not find any proper induction mods, i respect mangoletsis attempt but honestly i just dont think a cone filter hanging around is the best approach, i quite like AngelTunings one but still a bit basic for me.

Im Busy building a plan for RAM-AIR on this car, i want to replace all the piping and still deciding if i should utilize the current airbox with the K&N element in or if i should design a new box with a K&N filter of the correct size in, then im working on new piping and scoop design to scoop good volumes of air straight from the heart grill. currently the stock intake hangs around there behind the bumper stiffner pointing upwards, thats not direct enough for me, i want the air forced in there as with many motorcycle designs.

I just want to find out something beforehand about the piping, i noticed theres a strange extra piece on the top piping and cant think what its for, i posted a pic of it, so maybe somebody else might know what its for.

The piping i plan to make stainless steel, coated with Zirconium to keep the pipes cool even when exposed to heat, the box i will still have to see what material to use...

All inputs and ideas and advice will be appreciated

Critics, do not fret, im no backyard nail and hammer guy this will be a factory quality product as its being produced in my Companys name and used on my 3.6 Brera that represents my company.

heres the pic about the thingamabob im wondering about....

Alfa Romeo- Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things

Last edited by BenzinaBrera; 09-02-14 at 19:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Avi
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

I may be wrong; but that's just to reduce noise
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

i thought resonators are usually closed, this looks like it might sick air in but i dont get the point of that as it runs the risk of sucking in dirty air, after the maf, so it makes no sense to suck air in, maybe you are right, just want to make sure i dont leave out a important piece of the puzzle you know?
AO Member

County: -
Usually its a Helmholz resonator to reduce inlet noise, but should be closed, doubt the engine would run any good if its open.

Get the intake into cool air, but do not hold your breath ito forced induction, you need very high speeds for that to take effect.

P=0.5 x density x speed squared

At 120 km/h the stagnation pressure on the nose of such a pipe would be 0.5 x 1.2 x 33.3 squared= 667 Pa or 0.0066 Bar
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

hehe nice we got a engineer on board! ok i must admit i suck at the sciences im a hands on test and test and test type of guy but from biking experience i do know RAM AIR actually boosts performance on high speed but on low speed at least i will have proper cold air intake with more air quantity available for the 3.6.

I think i found the awnser to what that is, its a air bypass to prevent hydrolocking, an air bypass valve installs in the middle of your air intake, the higher pressure of the air coming into the air bypass valve wouldn't allow water to enter your engine
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Alfa 33

Ram-Air affect as has been mentioned is pretty pointless on this car, in fact by the time you have routed it, the affects may even be negative. The main improvements are from replacing the standard airbox design with one that works more affectively.
To improve the induction you have to ideally improve the speed the air comes into the engine and have it cooler than before. Either one of those will improve induction so long as the other is not a negative (i.e. same temperature but more air or cooler air at the same rate)

The "Angel Tuning" solution was in fact from ITG (Induction Technology Group) in Coventry. It utilised the carbon fibre Maxogen airbox fitted in the same place as the original airbox. This produced a significant improvement in sound, throttle resonse and torque through the range. On the 156 2.0TS the same airbox produced some 11bhp over standard, which shows a combination of how bad the original airbox was and how good the Maxogen is. It is however expensive!

ITG Air Filters - performance air filters for road and race vehicles | Maxogen Airboxes

What may be more cost affective is to use a similar setup with their RAB65, direct into the original air pipe to the MAF. This unit is rated to 300bhp and is considerably cheaper.

Ultimately, though, the shorter and straighter the airflow into the throttle body is going to give the better result.

I dont work for ITG by the way, but have done a lot of testing with induction systems and developments over the years ;-)
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanie View Post
At 120 km/h the stagnation pressure on the nose of such a pipe would be 0.5 x 1.2 x 33.3 squared= 667 Pa or 0.0066 Bar
That is actually what i hoped for, that air pressure is nice already if your thinking in NA language, when working on induction, one should avoid thinking of turbo life completely, achieving turbo boost pressures would be near impossible and is not what im aiming for at all, i know how NA cars react to different mods so my performance standards way of thinking is in tune.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Im also thinking of a funnel type design in the shape of the heart grill to the intake pipe to capture maximum air into the pipe, according to your numbers you crunched, would that make a difference as opposed to only having a pipe looking forward?
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Capone View Post
Ram-Air affect as has been mentioned is pretty pointless on this car, in fact by the time you have routed it, the affects may even be negative
Why do you say this, dont get me wrong i appreciate your input, but could you provide any reason why after the routing would it be worse?

As for Ram effect being pointles, i dont know hey because its been proven to work on the camaro 3.6 which is essentially the same engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Capone View Post
The "Angel Tuning" solution was in fact from ITG (Induction Technology Group) in Coventry. It utilised the carbon fibre Maxogen airbox fitted in the same place as the original airbox. This produced a significant improvement in sound, throttle resonse and torque through the range

Ultimately, though, the shorter and straighter the airflow into the throttle body is going to give the better result.

I do agree with you to a certain degree, as i have stated the angel tuning box is very nice but the gripe i had with it is that there is no air channeled to it, it also hangs around there with a little pipe sticking to the side, maybe saying i want ram air cooked up the wrong ideas and i could have named my thread better.

the point is i see other intakes from tuner companys for other cars and all have air channeled to the Cold intake system and the power difference shows above the non channeled ones.

I do however understand maybe what your getting at is to channel the air from the heart grill takes too many bends and will slow airflow down, so then what i would like is something more direct to the filter but i dont know what route to take since i dont want it too low for water purposes but now i discovered air bypass valves so maybe i can still find a better route

thanks for the continued input. please keep commenting im open to knowledge bombs and dont get angry at people with valid pionts that makes sense
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Alf capone, i checked your filter out. they describe this trumpet airbox working in co operation with a fresh air intake pipe, this is basically exactly what i had in mind but i dont think the angel tuning mod utilises any intake pipe? this is where i want to step in see?

Quoted from link provided:

The carbon fibre housing features a radiused induction trumpet feeding from a large diameter primary inlet ducting arranged to collect cool external air. The trumpet design recovers air pressure from air velocity, filling a plenum volume around the large surface area of the MAXOGEN filter.

The radiused outlet of the Maxogen filter (below) connects to a high quality secondary duct to feed clean, high pressure, cool air to the engine. The complete system is amazingly light, typically weighing only 800 grammes, and yet it can handle air up to and in some cases over 500bhp!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Dodge Journey

friend, i dont really have much input here but i can tell you that your building 2
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Dodge Journey

ps, you need engine cleaner
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Benz...search the Honda forums for s2000 type intakes. Same scenario and they've made something work apparently.
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Thanks guys, yes i did a lot of research today and from what ive seen there is definite improvement to be had especially for throttle response. Already found the highest air pressurr point on the front shape of the 159, worked out a optimum shape for the box to keep air pressure in and flow high. and found the correct filter shape and size to fit for the 3.6, will just take the size down one step for the 3.2. This will generate a nice iduction noise but not over the top braaaap type induction noise. Now i just try to find the best route of piping although theres not much i can do, then its time for the strip down and the practical test.

Master P, i will gladly organize you one, once i finished and tested mine.

Giulli, thanks i will go see what the honda boytjies are up to, the s2000 okes usually have to push the envelope to gain performance on those cars so their stuff is legit haha. Btw i missed what you did for induction on your car? Or did you leave it stock? Otherwise we must start looking at itake kit for the G hehe
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Also another issue im facing is water, i for one like hosing by the heart grill but if im to utilize that space then im not sure how ill get the water to drain or trap or something. But im sure ill find something
AO Member

County: Surrey
Bit tight for space but have a look at the size of airboxes for standing air on touring cars from the early 2000's . Those chambers were enormous and what a lovely sound they produced .
There is a formula the guys using on v6 when using one throttle body for the length of the pipe their after . Can't remember where I saw it . Before you do all your plating make at least three types of systems to test on dyno . Also try work out wind speed of fan .
Look forward to see what you find .
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Any update on this?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
induction , jts , mod , project , ramair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page