147 2.0 TS Selespeed - Alloy radiator wanted!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 21-10-13 Thread Starter
Status: Brake Fluid change > Millers 300+
AO Member
 
Mr Maw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 13
Help 147 2.0 TS Selespeed - Alloy radiator wanted!!

hi guys,
ok, as part of my project with my 147 my cooling system has presented questions.
ive got hoses on, header tank and uprated pump can get, my issue is getting an alloy radiator.
really struggling to find a firm that does them.
im hoping someone can point me in the right direction please

I have a 2001 2.0 TS Selespeed lusso, running 170 bhp
im on the way to 200bhp so alloy radiator important.

cheers
Mr Maw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,993
Garage
Is this a pure race car (stripped out, etc)? Are you currently experiencing cooling issues? Or do you want to build it all first and then test all at once?

Reason I ask is I am happy with OEM radiator and 200ish BHP:

I race a 150bhp 156 2.0 TS with normal cooling system here is RSA (typical day temp 28C) My water temp stays at 90C for the whole 20min session I do at a time, So I am suspecting the thermostat closes on occasion... My oil temp goes to about 120C, I have a smallish oil cooler in (about 240mm x 90mm x 30mm).

I have done similar lap times in my 205bhp 156 SW with 3.0L V6 with all the weight and aircon radiator still in place and it does to about 100C by the end of the 20min session. I do not have a engine plate below the engine bay so I am not sure airflow is 100% optimal.

The 156 2.0TS and 2.5V6 does have the same size radiator in.

Last edited by Gertie; 22-10-13 at 12:58.
Gertie is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,786
GTA radiator is larger so you could fit that...
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
David C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 29,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
GTA radiator is larger so you could fit that...
Although most GTA are by now running the 2.0TS/2.5v6 rad.

Also, most (if not all) rads are Aluminium now.
David C is online now  
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 23-10-13 Thread Starter
Status: Brake Fluid change > Millers 300+
AO Member
 
Mr Maw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 13
good reply,
my radiator is fairly new OEM and round town and day driving it don't budge from 90c even at a stand still.
I will be going to track with the car, and 200bhp is all I want, so going on this basis il stick with the stock rad, see how it peforms.
I was wondering how the stock water pump holds up when you putting laps in?
theres some good pumps out there for the track.
I should be running it on track quite soon, (always a toss up between race kart or race car??!!)
the thought of the GTA radiator crossed my mind, but having never worked on one I don't know how they plumbed in? and if someone has actually done it.
Mr Maw is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,786
they have exactly the same mount points and plumbing points as the original rad, the core is just thicker (length and height are the same).

I've put one in a 2.5 V6 which I upgraded to 3.0.
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 24-10-13 Thread Starter
Status: Brake Fluid change > Millers 300+
AO Member
 
Mr Maw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
they have exactly the same mount points and plumbing points as the original rad, the core is just thicker (length and height are the same).

I've put one in a 2.5 V6 which I upgraded to 3.0.
nice one
I think il pick one up, see how my stock rad peforms, then try out a gta rad.
defo cheaper then paying out for an ally rad to be made!
Mr Maw is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 24-10-13 Thread Starter
Status: Brake Fluid change > Millers 300+
AO Member
 
Mr Maw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Is this a pure race car (stripped out, etc)? Are you currently experiencing cooling issues? Or do you want to build it all first and then test all at once?

Reason I ask is I am happy with OEM radiator and 200ish BHP:

I race a 150bhp 156 2.0 TS with normal cooling system here is RSA (typical day temp 28C) My water temp stays at 90C for the whole 20min session I do at a time, So I am suspecting the thermostat closes on occasion... My oil temp goes to about 120C, I have a smallish oil cooler in (about 240mm x 90mm x 30mm).

I have done similar lap times in my 205bhp 156 SW with 3.0L V6 with all the weight and aircon radiator still in place and it does to about 100C by the end of the 20min session. I do not have a engine plate below the engine bay so I am not sure airflow is 100% optimal.

The 156 2.0TS and 2.5V6 does have the same size radiator in.


what tune you running to hit 200bhp?
that's my target, the handling of my 147 with coilovers, handles 170bhp easy, so I think 200bhp, with roll bar, strutbrace added it will work nicely.
im eyeing up fast road cams and a few more race parts added then go for 200bhp remap.
be good to get other views
cheers
p.s mines a road car, with a tow bar! lol need to tow the trailer for the race kart

Last edited by Mr Maw; 24-10-13 at 21:14. Reason: added note
Mr Maw is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,993
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maw View Post
what tune you running to hit 200bhp?
that's my target, the handling of my 147 with coilovers, handles 170bhp easy, so I think 200bhp, with roll bar, strutbrace added it will work nicely.
im eyeing up fast road cams and a few more race parts added then go for 200bhp remap.
be good to get other views
cheers
p.s mines a road car, with a tow bar! lol need to tow the trailer for the race kart
I had a look on the dyno sheet - My 156 SW 3.0 V6 with BMC drop-in filter, intake resonator removed, decat, free-flow exhaust - did 141 wheel kw on dyno - that is 188 wheel bhp that translates to 241 crank bhp. Handling wise I have Eibach ARB, front top strutbrace, bottom end seam welded, GTA springs on Monroe shocks, slotted brake discs front, braided hoses all around

Just to come back to water cooling in 150 odd bhp TS that STAYS at 90 on track... When I bought the car it had a forced open Thermostat and the car struggled to keep heat - I would let it idle to 90C in the pits and then it would drop below 70C after 1st lap and slowly rise to 80C by the end of the session. I replaced the thermostat and it stays at 90 now.

A friend of mine has a turbo'ed 2.5V6 with 300 wheel BHP / nearly 400 crank BHP that still runs an OEM radiator - it gets ever so slightly warm during tracktime.
Gertie is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 6

Member car:

147

will be good to see another alfa on track ,not to many about .
any pictures ?

mark
blueosis1 is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,993
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosis1 View Post
will be good to see another alfa on track ,not to many about .
any pictures ?

mark
Sorry - don't mean to hijack thread
I have two threads with pictures - my racing start-up with 156:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south...-a-newbie.html
GTV racer build - will race this car from start of next year:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south...cer-build.html

Here is photos of our last race meet:
Alfa Trofeo - ZOC Photo Gallery
Gertie is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , alloy , radiator , selespeed , wanted

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome