Water2Air IC for Alfa 159 1.9jtdm. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 11-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Istanbul
Water2Air IC for Alfa 159 1.9jtdm.

Hi,
as I try to read all the threads, I got great ideas for tuning the engine & car. For now, I have a remap, & clean egr with restrictor plate on. My purpose is fuel economy mostly, because I live in Turkey, and the diesel fuel is the most expensive one in the world. I ride mostly long runs, 72 km each day at least. I found the 3d drawing of the car now. I will cover the under of the car. I will delete the cat & DPF, And I need to make max torque start like 1400 rpm with a newer turbo, maybe two turbos like Saab because my Turbo is at its %80.

* First of all I need to know if I could replace the FMIC with A2W intercooler. It should decrease my IAT for better efficiency. I can make it perfectly in my garage. does it make difference.
* And I have a stolen idea from BMW, shape changing front grill. Grill will be closed for heating the engine quickly, after that it will open as needed.
* Also I know that M32 gearbox has limitations. What is it for real? You guys use 250HP jtdm 1.9 engines? how is it? what is the torque?
* As I wrote, I will delete EGR&CAT&DPF for better flow, and make a new exhaust pipe with two back silencer exits. But it will raise my max torque rpm to 3000 rpms etc? Can a custom remap lower the rpm?
* My friend suggest me to use Water/Methanol Kit for economy & power, I can also make progressive control of it. Is it ok to use at lower rpms like 2000&lower. What if I use only the water?
* As I restrict the EGR, Did I raise EGT? Water injection should keep it low I guess.

Those that I can remember for now. I will post as I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Your probably looking at a torqy low down map to help with econemy,
Your mapper can probably tune it as is now for more torque than you need, im not sure but has 159 got an f40 gearbox not m32.
I like the idea of active grills i thought of similar in last winter as it takes forever to warm up with fmic coasting.
The water methanol or just water will cool air well, only usually injected with med to high boost so not sure how youd benefit low revs eco driving, not saying you wont just 99% of instals are for power and cooling at high boost and revs.
Heres a link to similar aim
water/methanol injection - TDIClub Forums
Air to water cooler also not many people convert, extra pipework and tanks/pumps etc .
Heres a link on subject(tdi forum)
Air to Water Intercooler sizing - TDIClub Forums
A nice fmic( or your std one) with a cheap water spray on front of cooler may cool air a bit if ambient is fairly hot?
You would probably gain more mpg, lowering car, and fitting eco tyres with low rolling resistance, and not using aircon.
Also heres a whole forum on mpg gains ,
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Last edited by sussexa; 11-09-13 at 21:17.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'm also registered to ecomodder forum. I learn how to make things but, this is Alfa, and if I make a difference it should be alfa's way I think :P
Now I will read the tdi forum.
UP!
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sussexa View Post
Your probably looking at a torqy low down map to help with econemy,
Your mapper can probably tune it as is now for more torque than you need, im not sure but has 159 got an f40 gearbox not m32.
1.9 is the M32, 2.4 has the f40

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
2.0 has F40 aswell, until 2008 when it got C635 like Giulietta (all)
AO Silver Member

I cant say ive seen any other users building air/water intercooler using that design
It looks more like OE use maybe, you would need to build a new inlet manifold to use as designed?
Always hard work being the only one to do it or the first one to do it.
Good luck which ever way you go.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 14-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

thank you, I may make a new inlet manifold and what ever I want, that's why I don't afraid. I have CNC. But first off all I have to cover the under, than the grill & water. it will be a different project, because I'm also reading the TDI forums, they got insane about formulas etc. They change the thermostat 195Degree to 205 degree for fuel economy etc. So I'm getting parts now, I will inform the forum asap, but If you learn other things, please share with us. UP!
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
JBSmith1 played about with a water spray and water to air intercooler. Then fitted a RS500 Intercooler as a few other of us have done with out standing results.

Just remember if you want to go down the water to air intercooler route just how much additional weight you will need to add just to make it efficient, the existing water system is far to hot to use and meaning you will need to run a completely different system. Weight is your worst enemy !

Again all of the above is based on a Brera / 159
AO Silver Member

Maybe stick to egr, dpf and decat removal and ask for an ecomap then see if you need to alter intercooler, if you arnt using much power or boost you wont have much heat in your intercooler.
Fit undertray and pump tyres up to max allowed(load and speed)
And see how you go , all the other work may make 1mpg is it worth it to you.
Can you run biodiesel in that car?
Probably better off spending on kit to brew your own fuel.
Your talking of spending maybe a couple of grand on mods to save mpg you could pay for fuel for a couple of years with what you may spend?
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 14-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep I saw the graphs for the MPG vs Total Money Spent. After 60 mpg it is not worthy to spend money for economy, because it will come back 4 or 6 years later. And I know that our Engine is not like TDI, in city it needs almost %50 more fuel to go, with out even AC on. My W2A intercooler thought is for this, Temperatura in my hometown goes -16 celc degree in winter easily, So I planned to use shape changing grill to make it warm faster, so I have to block the intercooler as well, I was afraid to do it so, I thought if I change to W2A intercooler maybe it wont affect the cooling of charge air. Also normal days, I would use much cooler inlet air for power & economy
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 14-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

I also blocked the EGR 2 weeks ago, & cleaned the inlet. I found that my flaps was cancelled, but drive motor was in place. Those cleaning made almost 1lt/100km change on avg fuel consumption. But engine took longer to warm up now.
AO Silver Member

Yep thats the downside of egr delete, i live with downside as short commute under 10miles each way.
But upsides cancel that out , im lucky if i get 45mpg but i usually enjoy my short journey a few times a week.
Have you thought of electric preheater for winter?
Also unless specifically mapped for econemy you may find a better intercooler could create more mass airflow and possibly use more fuel to keep afr as was ? (Not 100% sure what ecu would do)
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 15-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes I'm gona make the heater, I saw it in an TDI ambulance 2 months ago :P

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , 19jtdm , alfa , water2air

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page