Advice on how to tune my 2.5 V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-13 Thread Starter

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Advice on how to tune my 2.5 V6

Hi there all. I'm looking for some advice on what is the best way to tune my 2.5 V6. I'm looking to replace my exhaust system. Today I popped in to my local "Longlife" exhaust centre. They said that I could remove the middle two "cats" but I would have a warning light coming up on the dashboard due to the sensors. Both of my flexi pipes need replacing as well. I am also looking to add an induction kit. Any advice on the best brand. As soon as I add the induction kit I plan on having it remapped. Is this the easiest way to do basic tuning. Is it worth doing or are there better ways to improve bhp. I don't want to go ballistic. Just basic tuning to give me a bit more power.
If I do all of the above, what kind of increase in power could I expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Sofia
Not familiar with this engine, but I personally don't think you will see more the 15-18hp after the remap, removed cats and the intake system. I've read comments about the aftermarket induction systems on the market, not giving increase but decrease in power and keeping the box, just buying a KnN replasement filter. For the 2.5 v6 you can put intake runners from the 3.0 v6, GTA intake cams and keeping your exhaust or 4 intake cams from a GTA, SS exhaust, port and polished heads after that a remap, guys say it gives around 215-220hp. which I think is pretty good bearing in mind that you are using OEM parts except the exhaust.

P.S. All these things, I've read here on the forum. I've never tried them !!!!
GTA_Nigel

Agree, a remap could add 10 to 15 bhp, perhaps a few bhp more, exhaust mods could add 10 bhp, induction mods will add very little but will make it sound nicer. You will also get torque and power delivery improvement especially from the remap.

I've done all the above to a 3.2 V6 in a GTA and now have 274 bhp and 250 foot/lbs torque as opposed to the standard figures of 250 bhp and 220 ft/lbs.

Those are straightforward, other mods like new cams and runners are getting a bit serious.

(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 09-09-13 Thread Starter

Thanks Pyle, I appreciate the feedback.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-13 Thread Starter

Thanks Nigel, great help. Where did you get your work done, and roughly what was the cost? If you don't mind me asking.
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiser74 View Post
Thanks Nigel, great help. Where did you get your work done, and roughly what was the cost? If you don't mind me asking.
A good remap will be 400 to 500 if you want a custom job for your car (the mapper will put it on the rollers and do the map specifically for your car to your requirements). You can get cheaper off the shelf generic maps for 250 ish which may be fine. I have had a couple of remaps done by AHM and am very happy with them, just search through a few of the mapping threads on this forum and you will see comments about various options.

Exhaust - it depends what you do and what you want to spend. A lot of folks in the GTA world go for equal length downpipes, change the manifolds to CF2 ones (not sure if you would have CF2 already on yours) and various exhausts from the likes of Ragazzon, Supersprint or Dan at Autolusso who produces a range of custom exhausts with a guy called the "Wizard of Oz", see here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...-v6-alfas.html. I had a partial Wizard exhaust system which sounded great but now have a full Alfaholics system which doesn't sound quite as good but gave me good power gains (about 10 bhp and 10 ft/lbs) without changing my manifolds. Not cheap though, 1500 for the whole system.

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
+1 What Nigel said - just do it in the right order - Induction and exhaust 1st, remap last to get the most out the other mods
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
+1 What Nigel said - just do it in the right order - Induction and exhaust 1st, remap last to get the most out the other mods
Agree, that's the right order!

(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 16-09-13 Thread Starter

Thanks both. Exhaust booked in on 27th. Trying to source a BMC-CDA to fit then it'll be a remap coming soon. Nice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
advice , tune

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page