A question about intercooler pipes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

Hmmm A question about intercooler pipes

So I have a question about 147 JTD (presumably 1.9 156 and GT as well) intercooler pipework.

I have recently discovered a work colleague has some of the tools for 'advanced' pipe bending. Now it's always bugged me that the standard pipes wear out so what I have in mind is to fabricate new intercooler (especially the lower one) pipes out of either mild steel pipe or stainless pipe.

Question is what is the lowest diameter pipe I can get away with? Also, what is the optimal pipe diameter?

This is more of an exercise 'because I can' rather than needed although that said (and disappointingly) my recently replaced (OK, 18 months....) lower pipe has rubbed significantly despite my best efforts. I'm thinking about shielding the contact areas on the lower pipe (when I make it from pipe) with neoprene matting.

I've also been looking at some nice copper brake pipe with a view to making up some vacuum hoses from it..... more on that another time.

Ocht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Not sure what size your hoses are but when people go to fmic depending on power output/airflow velocity most seem to go 2.25"(like ebay most popular fmic and pipe kits) but i dont think 2" would be much of a restriction.
When you get high hp airflow can reach high speed in a too small pipe.
I,ll find you a link with some good maths in a mo.
Here ya go
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=363037
Basically you want same as turbo outlet and intercooler inlet outer diameter and then you get cheaper straight connector silicone hoses that youll need at least 4 off if doing intercooler outlet to inlet manifold also.

Last edited by sussexa; 31-08-13 at 18:34.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Iirc the lower pipe coming off the turbo is around 49mm dia, but it increases to around 55-57mm at the intercooler, the upper pipe is around 55-57 both ends, you could use a reducer to join the turbo, although there are pipes available to do the job and they look like one size so maybe they just clamp up tight on the turbo, though I personally would prefer a snug fit.

Edit-after looking at that pic again it appears one end of the lower pipe is actually a step up to join the IC, didnt notice that before.

Last edited by edraven71; 29-09-17 at 20:52.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Iirc the lower pipe coming off the turbo is around 49mm dia, but it increases to around 55-57mm at the intercooler, the upper pipe is around 55-57 both ends, you could use a reducer to join the turbo, although there are pipes available to do the job and they look like one size so maybe they just clamp up tight on the turbo, though I personally would prefer a snug fit.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

Interesting stuff, my colleagues 'kit' will work with up to 2 inch pipe.
That said I've kind of got this idea on my radar now so will see what comes of it.
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
If it helps make your mind up devonutopia on tdi forum is running 2" pipes and hes just ran 315hp with nitrous on his 1.9 8v skoda fabia(270hp without nitrous)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
intercooler , pipes , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page