Remap and EGR delete without DPF removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife
Garage
Remap and EGR delete without DPF removal

I plan to get a remap.
Is it sensible to have the EGR deleted without removing the DPF?
Is the EGR used in regeneration?

What will this do to my emissions? I don't want to fail my MOT on emissions as my car is in the newer, tighter particulate level range.

Am I just confused?

159, 1.9JTDm 150

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
To answer your last question - yes!

Starting at the beginning:

Yes, you can just have a remap and EGR delete whilst keeping the DPF active...but there's not much point. You may as well have the DPF removed and get the better remap applied.
The EGR is not used in regent - it is simply there to reduce certain emmisions by injecting a portion of exhaust gas into the engine intake. Yes, the whole concept is wrong at every level!
It clogs up your engine with soot that's in the exhaust gas and reduces engine performance and efficiency over time. The sooner you get the EGR shut/deleted the better!

It will do very little to your emmisions. Current MOT only does a smoke test to stop vehicles with excessive black smoke. If your car is like mine and needs to comply to a maximum soot level of 1.5 you will pass the soot test provided you have a good quality remap. E.g Alfatune/AHM.

My car runs no DPF, no CAT, 3" straight through exhaust and still passes with 0.82 - despite the much(!) higher level of power....

Hope this helps,
Pete.

...Skunking for more boost...because it's just better... 319bhp/523lbft.

Clogz' Skunk Works thread: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ks-thread.html
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 22-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife
Garage
Thanks, that is good to hear about the emissions. Yes mine is 2009, so young enough to be in the 1.5 bracket. Its getting 0.0something just now I think. I know removal of the dpf is not an MOT item, but the particulate reading will always concern me. The other thing about the egr being shut is that it would increase other gases in the exhaust, so if they tighten the MOT again we could fail on that (is it NO2?).

Big question is: Is the drivability really that much nicer? I mean £700 nicer?!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Transforms it - It'll feel like a new/better car but the key is in the quality of the remap. I had my car done years ago and have never looked back...so to speak...

If the testing is tightened in future you'll be fine too as it's never been tightened retrospectively before.

Anyway, all Alfatune/AHM mapped cars easily pass MOT soot tests and don't smoke. You'll have more performance available when you want it and the engine will run more efficiently.

I don't think you'll regret it...
Durty dog

I want my egr shut/deleted, who can carry this out for me?

Last edited by Durty dog; 25-08-13 at 20:28.

AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

IT can only be done via your engine management computer might as well have it remapped at same time will transform your car no more clogged up Egr that need cleaning every few months .A word of caution only use some one with a good reputation to do the Job IE Alfa tune.I had mine done months ago best money I spent on it
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
You can with a dongle, did a review of mine here:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=429826

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

County: Buckinghamshire
DPF/CAT Removal & Engine Re-map

On the general subject of DPF removal & re-mapping, I had my 159 2.4JTDM S/W done at Angel Tuning based at Cropredy Bridge (nr Banbury) last December, & although it hasn't had to go through an MOT yet, overall I'm very happy with the outcome, & I have no worries about the MOT. Power is up considerably, & my main impression straight after having the work done was that the car felt much 'lighter', due to the sharper throttle response.
Just 2 downsides to report so far:
1. You do need to be careful not to put your foot down too hard below around 1,500rpm, as the engine will falter, but really you shouldn't be doing that anyway. I don't know if other re-maps would have that outcome?
2. I didn't get the advertised fuel consumption improvement, but I guess that in practice, any efficiency gain from the DPF removal is offset by the remapped power improvement (which I enjoy using too much!). However, the on-board trip computer IS showing an improvement, but checking against actual fill-ups, it's now reading about 4mpg optimistic, whereas before it was pretty accurate. Angel Tuning reckon it may be due to a longer injection pulse from the re-map, with the trip computer calculating against the number of pulses, rather than actual quantity of fuel used. Perhaps they should be adjusting this when they install the re-map?
Overall, it was well worth doing, & in the end will save you the cost of a replacement DPF when it inevitably gets clogged up, as it will sooner or later. I say go for it & enjoy the extra horses released!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseleypat View Post
Just 2 downsides to report so far:
1. You do need to be careful not to put your foot down too hard below around 1,500rpm, as the engine will falter,
Should not be doing that! Take it back to them to look at. They are my closest mapper, but having read far too many poor outcomes I would think twice, far too many MOT fails for smoke from them too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
delete , dpf , egr , remap , removal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page