Mixing T-spark blocks and components - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Mixing T-spark blocks and components

T- Spark 2.0L have balance shafts and all the extras that go with it, belt and tensioners etc.

If you were to carefully balance the pistons, rods etc from a 2.0L would you then need the balance shafts?

Basically what I am wondering is can you put 2.0L internals in a 1.6 / 1.8 block and dispose of the shafts all together and make the engine smoother by balancing components rather then use the shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
My race cars: one have the balancer shafts taken out completely and the oil feeds to them blocked off - the pistons and rods are kitchen scale balanced. The other car have the balance belt removed, but shafts still in place - internals on that engine not yet touched and will only do so once the engine needs opening for some other reason... Both options work.

The 1.8 bore is 1mm smaller and stroke 8.3mm shorter - I am not sure if the crank can drop in as is - I think it has been done...

I would just stick to the 2.0 block - remove the shaft and blank off oil feeds - it is easy enough
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
it's A LOT of work to make a 2.0 crank and pistons fit inside a 1.8 block. the piston rods touch the sides of the block, the toothed timing wheel from a 1.8 doesn't fit on a 2.0 crank, the bore is smaller on the 1.8...

The balancer shafts are there to cancel out harmonics that you can't remove by balancing the other parts.

but you don't really need the balancer shafts, even on the 2.0. They're not there to protect the engine but to make it smoother for the driver.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
blocks , components , mixing , tspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page