Braided Brake Line Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Bridgend
Braided Brake Line Help!

I Morning Folks!
I am after a bit of assistance after a mini disaster yesterday.
I started the day off excited at the prospect of getting started on the big brake upgrade on my GTV. I thought as part of the upgrade I may as well change the brake lines to nice new Hel braided lines as well.
Do wish I hadn't bothered now because while trying to undo the rubber line from the fixed one the end sheared off the fixed one.
Me and my Dad are in the process of repairing it. But we still have three to do....
The nut on the end of the fixed one is supposed to spin freely but due to corrosion is stuck solid so I suspect I will encounter the same problem on the remaining three brakes.
So... Any idea as to how to get around this as I guess this would be the problem on most 14yr old Alfas! Any guys in the trade around.... They will probably see this on a daily basis!?
Any help advice would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by steelman; 04-07-13 at 09:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Soak it with penetrating oil (not just normal spray oil) - is what I did. Mine was sticky too but came loose after 3 applications 10 min apart.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Soak it with penetrating oil (not just normal spray oil) - is what I did. Mine was sticky too but came loose after 3 applications 10 min apart.
Thanks Gertie.... I am going to buy some later along with some brake pipe spanners as suggested by Pud (Dan) in a separate thread.
Is Releasol a good enough penetrating oil or is there something better on the market!?
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Probably a good idea to replace the metal pipes as well - if its corroded enough so that the unions wont turn then the pipe itself can't be in very good condition.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 10-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Probably a good idea to replace the metal pipes as well - if its corroded enough so that the unions wont turn then the pipe itself can't be in very good condition.
The pipe looks ok and after talking to my Alfa expert he says it's a pig of a job to replace the complete pipe back to the manifold. The only one he has done had the engine out!
Plan is to cut pipe back and re - flare the end... put an in-line connector in and replace a section of pipe. Fingers crossed hey!
Will let everyone on here know how it goes and any advice I have for others who will inevitably come across this situation in future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
braided , brake , line

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page