147 jtd brembo upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

147 jtd brembo upgrade

Well after what seemed like an age i finally got round to getting the GTA brembo parts on to my car, it now stops alot better and they look the part there's' alot of other options about for a brake upgrade this being sort of middle of them all price wise, cheapest and the one i nearly went with were the 166 calipers and a bracket etc but after a talk with pud and reading yan.ko's thread decided on some GTA uprights ( thx for sorting me out again pud) without this forum i would have never got there

So uprights nice and dirty
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...pse7aa621a.jpg

After some work
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3427c43d.jpg

Employed some cheap child labor
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps53fac925.jpg

Done
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps636457d8.jpg

Rotors had the same treatment
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5279f5c8.jpg

Calipers came looking very tatty
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps458944cb.jpg

After some prep work
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps49bd80ec.jpg

In the paint shop AKA the garden shed
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8dd0a831.jpg

After some VHT primer, paint , decals, new bleed nipples & topcoat now nice and shiny
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps334eed81.jpg

Some Pads and Hel Red brake lines
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps31f1e809.jpg

And fitted
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...psdaa25ed5.jpg

147 JTDm 8v - RedDot remap - Stage 2 GT1756 Hybrid turbo - FMIC - JS & RAGAZZON Decat - - Eibachs - 4300k Hid's - 18" Multi's - Brembo 4 pot's .
189Bhp / 407Nm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
That looks great - nice one on getting it all fitted

How did it go with regards to the wheel bearings/hubs?
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
Great work
Lovely looking those painted and coated calipers
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
That looks great - nice one on getting it all fitted

How did it go with regards to the wheel bearings/hubs?
All went fine just needed the new jtdm bearings to go with my old hubs now everythings happy.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Great job there, those calipers look like new, just hope the bairn didn't get any paint on those yellow wellies
kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -
Nice job.

You should think also about changing the brake cylinder on the vacuum pump (or whatever it is called).

I will do that very soon on my 147 as the original brake cylinder doesn't move enough brake fluid for track driving...
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 10-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Thx guys, im quite happy as to how the calipers turned out also the total cost of calipers, paint, decals and delivery came to about £135 cheap imo.
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Gotta say these are the best looking refurbs ive seen, fantastic finish.
Got same to do, what process did you use to clean up calipers, ive already used alloy wheel cleaner and a s/s brillo and supprised how little crap has come off.
Have a dremel and even ebay sand blaster to hand just wondering what you found best.
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 21-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Yes it took hours of going back and forth with bilberry wheel cleaner left overnight etc, washing up liquid and just scrubbing and using a knife to get the real crappy bits off,tbh i should have just paid £20 or so and has them shot blasted but i like to make things hard.After that i had an idea of using nitromors paint stripper to remove all the paint but as i found out after i kept having to reapply it that it was total ****! apparently they have removed two of the key ingredients that make it good at removing paint for health and safely i think, this then took alot longer.

Then i just went at it with a mouse sander, now there was still plenty of sand paper marks and the odd part that wasnt level but i have to say that the vht main color went on like a dream and covered everything much better than the primer did you dont even need a top coat for shine as it made no difference at all i just used it to seal the decals on and hopefully they wont dull as soon.
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Nice work. Out of interest did you have to fit GTA track rods as well or do the standard 147 versions fit?
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 03-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

I used 147 standerd ones.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Not from my own experience but from reading older threads I was certain you needed the GTA track rods or track rod ends for this mod (these are different length to the non-GTA parts). Some have even fitted a GTA rack. Did you get the alignment of the front wheels checked afterwards?

Also how is the brake pedal travel - has it increased due to the bigger calipers and the extra fluid moving around?

Sorry to be asking questions but I wanted to do something similar myself so very interested to hear other's experience. There are so many different threads on brembo upgrades, which often end up being inconclusive so it is great to hear experience from someone who has done the upgrade.

It sounds like a great (and relatively cheap) upgrade overall with many second-hand 305 calipers available. We really need to put stuff like this in some sort of FAQ section!
AO Silver Member

Garage
There's nothing like GTA trackrod end. They are all the same on 147s' - 9947920 and 9947919 with some exception in 2007 model year with 77364521, 77364522 trackrod ends.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

I think you're right about the track rod ends but I think the track rods are different - at least I've seen different parts for sale for GTA and non-GTA.
AO Silver Member

Garage
There is not much extra fluid needed. Stock piston diameter is 54mm, those Brembo have 38 and 42mm. So there is just 10% difference in volume. I didn't noticed it on pedal travel to be honest.
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 03-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Yes the tracking got done as there was some toe out, and the pedal travel is fine better than before actuall maybe due to braided line's.
Club Member
Membro Premio

I've never noticed pedal travel change before after fitting Brembos.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Hi Dan,
Did you install GTA calipers, or are you talking about experience with the Ferrari F360 calipers.
The GTA has a different master cylinder to the basic 156/147/GT (bigger maybe?). I've seen speculation on other threads that the aftermarket kits for the basic 156/147/GT (for example Brembo GT kit) have smaller piston calipers perhaps for this reason even though disc diameter of both set-ups is the same (i.e. 305mm).
Not sure how this work exactly but brakes should automatically compensate for wear - i.e. pad getting thinner over time so more piston travel in relation to pedal travel - so perhaps something similar automatically happens with the bigger calipers!

Last edited by GavinH; 03-07-13 at 10:34. Reason: spelling
AO Silver Member

Garage
When talking about master cylinders

20.64mm bore x 33mm stroke old 4cyl petrol
22.20mm bore x 33mm stroke facelifted JTD + 2.5V6 e.g.
23.80mm bore x 33mm (?) stroke 3.2V6
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinH View Post
Hi Dan,
Did you install GTA calipers, or are you talking about experience with the Ferrari F360 calipers.
The GTA has a different master cylinder to the basic 156/147/GT (bigger maybe?). I've seen speculation on other threads that the aftermarket kits for the basic 156/147/GT (for example Brembo GT kit) have smaller piston calipers perhaps for this reason even though disc diameter of both set-ups is the same (i.e. 305mm).
Not sure how this work exactly but brakes should automatically compensate for wear - i.e. pad getting thinner over time so more piston travel in relation to pedal travel - so perhaps something similar automatically happens with the bigger calipers!
Had both 305 GTA calipers, 305 Brembo GT calipers and 305 F360 calipers all a variety of 156 V6, 147 2.0 TS and 156 JTD over the years, all felt great and not excessive pedal travel. I've used braided lines on them all.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan.ko View Post
When talking about master cylinders

20.64mm bore x 33mm stroke old 4cyl petrol
22.20mm bore x 33mm stroke facelifted JTD + 2.5V6 e.g.
23.80mm bore x 33mm (?) stroke 3.2V6
soo.. I guess when you match that up to disc size it must go something like this:

281mm
284mm
305/330mm

..in that order, if I've gotten the sizes correct.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Had both 305 GTA calipers, 305 Brembo GT calipers and 305 F360 calipers all a variety of 156 V6, 147 2.0 TS and 156 JTD over the years, all felt great and not excessive pedal travel. I've used braided lines on them all.
I find it puzzling though that a few GTV v6 owners seem to complain about poor braking performance even though these cars use 305s - same caliper as the GTA I think - so same pads/discs and everything presumably. Maybe it's down to some other difference in the plumbing, or suspension perhaps.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
soo.. I guess when you match that up to disc size it must go something like this:

281mm
284mm
305/330mm

..in that order, if I've gotten the sizes correct.
Not really necessary I think, but it might be so. Just calculate the fluid volume the master brake cylinder is capable to push out and then fluid volume needed to push brake pistons some 0.5mm out. (stock calipers have 54mm dia pistons on front and 38mm on rear, 4 pots are 42/38mm front, rear 38mm again).

Quote:
I find it puzzling though that a few GTV v6 owners seem to complain about poor braking performance even though these cars use 305s - same caliper as the GTA I think - so same pads/discs and everything presumably. Maybe it's down to some other difference in the plumbing, or suspension perhaps.
GTV V6 (at least 3.0V6) has the very simillar master brake cylinder (22.2x36mm) as 3.2V6 on 147/156/GTA when comparing their volumes. I have 330mm 4pot brakes on my GTV. It doesn't brake bad. I think it's a bit worse than on my 156 JTD (305mm 4pot), but this due to the a) more weight on front b) poor pads used (while 156 is on yellowstuffs) I think.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Squadra Moravia

156SW 1.9JTD: GTB2060VKLR turbo, performance cam&head, WM injection, 6speed Q2 gearbox, 4p Brembo brakes, 2.5" stainless exhaust, FMIC, upgraded sensors, lowered & stiffened suspension, own remap
GTV 3.0V6 24v: C30-94 charger, short gearbox with Quaife ATB, big 4p Brembo brakes, SMF, lowered suspension, custom freeflow equal lenght x-pipe quad tips exhaust
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
I think a lot of the GTV V6s are now using 15 year old calipers, which is part of the problem. They do corrode inside pretty badly, which lifts the shims and stops the pads moving freely.
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Electrolytic corrosion from a combination of steel piston and aluminium caliper..?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , brembo , jtd , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page