Hybrid/Upgrade turbo for GQV? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 52 Old 13-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Hybrid/Upgrade turbo for GQV?

I know the diesel guys are having a field day with upgrading to larger turbo's on their 1.9's and 2.4's.

What would you guys suggest for the GQV?

The turbo and the manifold are one piece...current turbo is k04 by Borg Wagner 55231460.

We are thinking possible hybrid conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

BMW M135i

Im interested in this too.

However have you considered the life of the components, clutch gearbox etc? Not sure of their safe limits, not been able to find out much info yet.

I see ur running a fair bit more bhp and torque, any problems with clutch slipping yet?

I just sent an email to

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk

see if they have any info
(Post Link) post #3 of 52 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I already sent an email to turbodynamics and they have not yet worked with a k04 Borg Warner form a GQV..so they won't know.

My clutch has not slipped yet not any gearbox strains...my power delivery is all marginal and in line with the stresses of the turbo.

BiancoAuto on here had their GQV turbo "hybrided" and the guy who did the hybrid upgrade said the GQV is at max at 1.4bar...my car's max boost is 1.4bar.

I'm looking for more power after 4500rpm. When you drive your GQV, look at your boost gauge, boost starts dropping off when you hit 4500rpm and it drops QUICK!!!

This is the design of the GQV turbo, thus your GQV will deliver power from insanely low revs but die off at speed, this is the design limitations.

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5 V6 - Project Swagon
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Rommeo GTV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon SOLD
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Got ya

Personaly I like to have more power at the top end, dont mind a bit of turbo lag to get it either.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Ibiza TDi

I have been watching this with interest, has anybody got any pictures of the turbo they could post? I have not seen one if these yet and the Borg Warner data system does not list any bill of materials, and google doesn't throw up a lot either... Not much to work with!
It's pretty rare to find a turbo that can not be upgraded in one way or another, just holding the parts for machining which can throw up problems occasionally...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW M135i

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your enquiry, the K04 turbo from the Giulietta is not a turbo we've come across before so we don’t have any upgrade options available at present.

I've just spoken with our contact at Borg Warner and we are unable to source units for these cars at present so the only way forward would be an upgrade to your existing turbo. Having said that there are no guarantees that a decent upgrade is indeed possible from the standard turbo. A catch 22 situation!

Kind Regards

This is the responce, however I live localy to these guys so I might pop down when i have some time off
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Ibiza TDi

Il nostro catalogo online | Contec

^ makes for useful reading.

From what I can gather the 55224275 which was replaced by the 55232225 is a 5303-970-0149 K03 turbo. 200 bhp.

The 55224276 replaced by 55231460 is a 5304-970-0090 K04 turbo. 230 bhp. The pics from Ian are of the K03 so we still are in the dark on the K04. (Looks like the K03 would be fairly straight forward to upgrade but not sure you would want to given the trouble he seems to have had with it...)

I can not find anything on the K04. Searched google, Borg warner, core suppliers... Can anyone get any better pictures?
(Post Link) post #9 of 52 Old 16-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

We are waiting for pics from an SA member who's k04 popped recently, so well see, I've asked him to ask the dealer Marcie's to measure the inlet etc
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
If I'd upgrade this unit, I'd cut the manifold from the turbo, weld a flange to it and fit a Garrett turbo.
Much more possibilities then.

A GT2560R looks like a nice unit for such a displacement.

Last edited by JS JTD; 17-05-13 at 17:57.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GQV

Really? K03 and K04 turbo's are on a lot of VAG turbo engines (Golf GTI has K03, Golf R has K04, Audi S3 has K04), and they go way further modifying those engines and turbo's than the average Alfa owner. So you should expect way more upgrade posibilities for this turbo?
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
a quick google
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - K04 hybrid turbo - anyone done it?
what hp are you after?
looks like manifold becomes choke point near std turbo limits anyway, at least on info from these tt to4 guys.
I would imagine that t04 is just a family name and within that frame size there are lots of turbine and compressor trim combinations. you need to find out at which end of the scale your t04 is already, if its already largest turbine exducer and compressor inducer there may be little to gain from hybrid.
of course some one in the thread above says a t06 internals would fit, but need better manifold to gain the most increase.
one guy quotes
Im running a IHI VF22 which comes on the Subaru Impreza type 22b, Yes there is lag but my rpm has been increased to 7500rpm. The increased rpm makes up for that lag which isnt noticable.
some stuff for you guys to mull over hope it helps
(Post Link) post #13 of 52 Old 19-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

You guys must not confuse the VAG k04 version with any other k04 on the market. Its various different k04's for various reasons, AR wanted LOW down power and torque...at a cost!

Its not the same turbo as a VAG k04.

But I'm sure it can be made to work, we've got the inletdiameters for the GQV k04 Air inlet - 48mm
Air to motor - 43mm
Exhaust - 73mm

I haven't had time to read the above links so forgive me if the answer is in there. Ill do some more researchs as to a possible swop upt to higher spec k04? Maybe a hybrid of the curent GQV k04 can be done?

What I after is higher flow after 4500rpm
(Post Link) post #14 of 52 Old 19-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussexa View Post
a quick google
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - K04 hybrid turbo - anyone done it?
what hp are you after?
looks like manifold becomes choke point near std turbo limits anyway, at least on info from these tt to4 guys.
I would imagine that t04 is just a family name and within that frame size there are lots of turbine and compressor trim combinations. you need to find out at which end of the scale your t04 is already, if its already largest turbine exducer and compressor inducer there may be little to gain from hybrid.
of course some one in the thread above says a t06 internals would fit, but need better manifold to gain the most increase.
one guy quotes
Im running a IHI VF22 which comes on the Subaru Impreza type 22b, Yes there is lag but my rpm has been increased to 7500rpm. The increased rpm makes up for that lag which isnt noticable.
some stuff for you guys to mull over hope it helps
Exactly!

Ill read the link later, thanks
AO Member

County: Sachsen

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

take it to an exhaust shop, build a decent header for it (or cut the original and weld a T28 Flange to it)
then you can go the normal way aka. garrett gt2560R - enough for 330 HP on a 25 Year old 1.8 DOHC with little to no turbo lag an early spool... or go gt2860 or borg warner fancy with ceramic blades this one uses rhe same flange system as the diesel turbos from turbine to downpipe (dont know how this is called)....
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
You guys must not confuse the VAG k04 version with any other k04 on the market. Its various different k04's for various reasons, AR wanted LOW down power and torque...at a cost!

Its not the same turbo as a VAG k04.

But I'm sure it can be made to work, we've got the inletdiameters for the GQV k04 Air inlet - 48mm
Air to motor - 43mm
Exhaust - 73mm

I haven't had time to read the above links so forgive me if the answer is in there. Ill do some more researchs as to a possible swop upt to higher spec k04? Maybe a hybrid of the curent GQV k04 can be done?

What I after is higher flow after 4500rpm
Bianco Auto have had one modified to be able to push out 350bhp, so all looks possible - just a case if finding the right people to do the job I guess
(Post Link) post #17 of 52 Old 19-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yes, I've not heard more feedback from Bianco Auto...where have you heard of the 350bhp hybrid GQV turbo they had???
Phil, you are right, I guess it will all start once the turbo is off the car.

I had the plan to speak to my dealer and tell them my plans and hear what type warranty will be lost, I'll accept all risk but don't want to lose warranty on suspension or lights or interior parts for example, also don't want to lose service plan etc.

But a hybrid turbo should be virtually impossible to spot.

I'm quite excited about this, just need to decide on a proper plan and proper people to do the job...so lots of research still to do, but it can be so easier if Bianco Auto were to share what they did and what boost they are running...but.....
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
Yes, I've not heard more feedback from Bianco Auto...where have you heard of the 350bhp hybrid GQV turbo they had???
Phil, you are right, I guess it will all start once the turbo is off the car.

I had the plan to speak to my dealer and tell them my plans and hear what type warranty will be lost, I'll accept all risk but don't want to lose warranty on suspension or lights or interior parts for example, also don't want to lose service plan etc.

But a hybrid turbo should be virtually impossible to spot.

I'm quite excited about this, just need to decide on a proper plan and proper people to do the job...so lots of research still to do, but it can be so easier if Bianco Auto were to share what they did and what boost they are running...but.....
They're very close to me - I'm going to book my 159 in with them to get my Eibach Pro-kit fitted soon, hopefully I'll be able to find out more then
(Post Link) post #19 of 52 Old 19-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Ah please, it would be great if info like this is shared, I know they used a 360 thrust bearing and I think a different compressor wheel...but that's all they said.

When the people who did the hybrid on the GQV k04 saw the turbo, they said its rated for 1.4bar max...
AO Member

County: Moscow

Member car:

Alfa Brera

So, guys, it's already clear now about fit k04 bolt'on to brera and 159 or no? My k03 finishes after 4 years and 50000km and i'm ready to try.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Isn't the Giulietta turbo still a K03, just a larger version than the one in the 159/Brera ?
AO Member

County: Moscow

Member car:

Alfa Brera

Correct but it calls k04.
(Post Link) post #23 of 52 Old 14-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Pablo...I'd say look for a crashed GQV and get the turbo, it comes off complete with the manifold/headers and then bolt it onto your Brera 1750...you'll then need a GQV downpipe or any after market downpipe made for the GQV. But you'll need proper remap, someone who understands what a turbo upgrade entails and who knows how your engine works.

I would say its simply a bolt on and off job, someone just has to pay the school fees and try it.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
there's no guarantee the downpipe will connect to the 159 exhaust though!
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland

Member car:

147 1.8 evo

do you guys know if the TBI k03 turbo uses only oil cooling and lubrication of also cooling water.
because i see more then 2 oil openings on the turbo housing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
gqv , hybrid or upgrade , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page