Will a BMC CDA be anygood on my 3.2 V6 Brera? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 09-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Will a BMC CDA be anygood on my 3.2 V6 Brera?

As title. I have a BMC CDA that was on my old Audi S3, will this fit on my 2007 3.2 Brera? Will it sound anygood?

Cheers

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Welcome to the forum

Well for starters the S3 is a turbo car, so the piping will be shaped to go to the turbo and not straight to the intake plenum... So I am quite sure you'll have to modify some piping... and securing the CDA not to fall around - some modification will be needed. Size wise / airflow wise it should be OK...

Where you happy with the difference it made to your S3 before and after? If so, try it... It will most certainly add a bit more throughty intake noise. Performance benefit is limited, there is more performance benefit in an exhaust. But you have the CDA, so try it - just don't modify the OEM piping, so you can go back to OEM if desired.

Last edited by Gertie; 10-05-13 at 07:28.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
there are many threads on this here but to summarize (i think) most peoples views on the 3.2 stick with standard set up and get a better filter like piper x etc.

Much money and time was spent developing the intake by Alfa and wisdom seems to dictate you get a nice sucking sound with the CDA for scaring sheep out of your path but it actually reduces power on the 3.2 GM/Holden based unit.

just my $0.02
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Cheers guys. Thats what I thought, they spent thousands developing it I doubt a £100 aftermarket intake is going to be better than the OEM one.
Spacecadet

The BMC CDA is a good choice if the existing filter housing is stuffed as the OE ones are silly money new. If the existing filter housing is good, use regular paper filters and change them every 6 months.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Tried various cone filters on the Brera. They sound great & give good top end breathing but you loose low down grunt.

Standard air box, Pipercross filter seems best. I would like more induction sound though & hear a carefully drilled airbox can provide this.

Any thoughts?
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 11-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

It was the thing to do over on the audisport.net forum for the S3. Drilled airbox with a green cotton filter. Anyone on here drilled their airbox/got the balls to do it? Id be too scared cus you cant put the holes back in...
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
It's just about punching a plastic. Not a rocket science
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
You could always bung the holes afterwards I guess, if you don't like it.
AO Silver Member

Garage
If you guys all agree that the OEM filter box has had major R&D thrown to it and others don't warrant the change, why then want to drill it? That also messes it up...

Drilling air boxes is so VW Golf'ish (ok maybe this reference is mainly valid in SA) but I'm sure you get my drift...

Anyway each to his own... No disrespect intended...
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 13-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
If you guys all agree that the OEM filter box has had major R&D thrown to it and others don't warrant the change, why then want to drill it? That also messes it up...

Drilling air boxes is so VW Golf'ish (ok maybe this reference is mainly valid in SA) but I'm sure you get my drift...

Nah I see your point. Most of the mods I have done to previous cars were great for a bit then i just regretted it, will just leave the old gal to how Alfa made her.
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post

Agreed, but....most manufacturers build one variant of each part on a car to fit the requirement of the most strict rule across the range of territories it will be sold in. Air boxes for example have to be designed to come under noise rules and also offer all the filtering needed for the very long service intervals needed on new cars.

Aftermarket filtration needs to meet no such rules and can be adapted. A UK car doesn't need to be able to filter sand like a desert car, or deal with low temps or high temps above 30 degrees C or below -10 degrees C. Changes can be made that the OE maker couldn't make.

AO Silver Member

Garage
Andy what you say is true. They do over design some things...

Some recon there is some advantage in removing the resonator - I don't know how the Brera's look like. I replaced that piece on my 156 with a propose built polished metal pipe, think it helps (with some growl) and some shiny bits for the engine bay win bling points hahaha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
anygood , bmc , brera , cda

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page