GQV Borg Wagner K04 Turbo failures...How to lower high EGT's??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 19-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
GQV Borg Wagner K04 Turbo failures...How to lower high EGT's???

This is concerning the GQV's sudden influx of turbo's failing.

On the Borg Wagner site they quote the regular oil issues but also mention EGT's as a factor in turbo's failing.

I'm interested to know how the guys who modify their Alfa's, especially force fed motors, lower their EGT's and what the GQV guys can do to lower the EGT's.

2 tuners over this side already mentioned when hooking the cars up to the diagnostics that the EGT's are very high the moment more is requested fromt he motor...

Any ideas?

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5 V6 - Project Swagon
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Rommeo GTV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
This is concerning the GQV's sudden influx of turbo's failing.

On the Borg Wagner site they quote the regular oil issues but also mention EGT's as a factor in turbo's failing.

I'm interested to know how the guys who modify their Alfa's, especially force fed motors, lower their EGT's and what the GQV guys can do to lower the EGT's.

2 tuners over this side already mentioned when hooking the cars up to the diagnostics that the EGT's are very high the moment more is requested fromt he motor...

Any ideas?
Water methanol injection is a good way to lower EGT.

But do you have a EGT gauge, and if yes, what does it show during a 100-200 km/h acceleration?
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 19-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

We haven't recorded high EGT on my car but 3 car from 2 tuners have confirmed high EGT's, 2 cars with stock exhaust and downpipe and one car with custom exhaust.

WMI is on the cards for me but I've seen and heard some horror stories of late so giving it a pass untill after winter.

Could the GQV's downpipe design have anything to do with it? The cat is quite close, very close infact, to the turbo.
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 19-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

We haven't recorded high EGT on my car but 3 car from 2 tuners have confirmed high EGT's, 2 cars with stock exhaust and downpipe and one car with custom exhaust.

WMI is on the cards for me but I've seen and heard some horror stories of late so giving it a pass untill after winter.

Could the GQV's downpipe design have anything to do with it? The cat is quite close, very close infact, to the turbo.
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
sure it can
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guili View Post
Yes indeed it can. Opening up the exhaust will do quite a bit for temps & performance. Maybe installing a less restrictive cat further down the line is an option.
I was looking at the Ragazzon downpipe w/o cat, but it seems that has a smaller outlet diameter than the inlet. Having a bigger diameter for a longer length would do good for the exhaust breathing.

55.0196.00 - ALFA ROMEO Giulietta(940) 1750TB (172,5kW) 2010>> | Ragazzon
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 20-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yes, im asking this as i have a full Supersprint exhaust with no CAT and i don't have turbo issues, but who do have turbo issues have the cat in...hhhhmmmmm
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
there are also several cars with a cat that don't have issues yet...

1 example isn't much of a statistic...
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 20-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
there are also several cars with a cat that don't have issues yet...

1 example isn't much of a statistic...
Quite true
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I really hope it's as simple as high EGT's, but I think it's a combination of severakl things...

High EGT causing higher oil temp in the turbocharger, causing premature oil fatigue, causing lack of lubrication or even sludge... turbo is the first item to feel the effects of low oil quality.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
What service interval is being insisted on with the GQV? is the same 18k/2year as with the Mito Turbo engines, if so I have to think that this is really stressing out the oil, changing mine every 6k now (was 9k before mods) as I have done with all my turbo diesels before the Mito.

GK

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper_ View Post
What service interval is being insisted on with the GQV?
For the 1750TBi in both the G and the 159, it's 21k/24mths. I had intermediate oil changes done on the 159 but the turbo has still blown up, 6k after the last service. Looks like the Selenia StAR PE oil is just not up to the job, especially in light of the recent specification change to Selenia Sport Power that was communicated 'confidentially' to the dealer network : https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...e-1750tbi.html
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Yes change the oil more often please.
Guili especially in Sa with our poor quality gas I will definitely get rid of the cat as soon as I take delivery of any oe turbo car.
To lower EGT’s the first and probably most important thing is get rid of the cat and all unnecessary restrictions in the exhaust.
If the gas cannot escape it will raise the EGT’s especially if you start increasing the boost and playing around with fueling.
Changing the Turbo can also reduce EGT’s.
An aftermarket manifold can also help.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
For the 1750TBi in both the G and the 159, it's 21k/24mths. I had intermediate oil changes done on the 159 but the turbo has still blown up, 6k after the last service. Looks like the Selenia StAR PE oil is just not up to the job, especially in light of the recent specification change to Selenia Sport Power that was communicated 'confidentially' to the dealer network : https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...e-1750tbi.html
How are you sure it's fully the oil to blame ?

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS JTD View Post
How are you sure it's fully the oil to blame ?
I can't be 100% sure, unfortunately - if I could then I wouldn't still be 'negotiating' with Alfa Customer Services over who's picking up the bill for the repair to mine. The bearings in my turbo show signs of considerable overheating, which suggests a lack of lubrication due to the oil vaporising, I would have thought?

If the old-spec oil is not a problem, why have they suddenly changed to specifying the 'new' one which, from what I can gather from my inside source, has a much higher flash point?
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 23-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
I can't be 100% sure, unfortunately - if I could then I wouldn't still be 'negotiating' with Alfa Customer Services over who's picking up the bill for the repair to mine. The bearings in my turbo show signs of considerable overheating, which suggests a lack of lubrication due to the oil vaporising, I would have thought?

If the old-spec oil is not a problem, why have they suddenly changed to specifying the 'new' one which, from what I can gather from my inside source, has a much higher flash point?
Its sad that with all the failures, they still expect you to foot the bill.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
borg , egt , failureshow , gqv , high , k04 , lower , turbo , wagner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page