Alfa 2.4 JTDM 210bhp GTB2056 turbocharger - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 01-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Alfa 2.4 JTDM 210bhp GTB2056 turbocharger

TDI turbos want a 767878 garrett turbo to suit the 2.4 JTDm Alfa motor. (Brera, 159 etc).

A failed unit would be fine also - its to use as a dummy to make a machining jig, but it must be complete.

Answers here or on a postcard to Adam at tdi turbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1723
County: Drenthe
strange , he has had one of my units there for a couple of weeks to make a jig.
New project maybe?
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Ibiza TDi

I have a 2260 CHRA which will be looking for a home in the next few weeks and want to gather the bits (ie turbo) to transplant it into a 2056. Actually do it this time not just make the jig...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Adam - could you make a GTB2056 fit in place of a GT2256 and work on an EDC15 C5 ECU (vacuum control for the VNT)?

Custom intake/downpipe fabrication is no problem for me, but ECU control of the VNT bothers me.
Club Member
Membro Premio

That would be a almost straight fit pud , would just need a little ring made to fit inbetween turbine housing and downpipe. and IC piping should be modified a little bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E22F63E5-20C3-4D15-82F5-3658EA8B382C-18699-000010292016F383.jpg (261.2 KB, 31 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

I could be interested in a gtb2260v based on gtb2056v, Just havent got the gtb2056v turbine housing atm..
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

Just hybrid the standard turbo with a 60mm wheel.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutron View Post
Was that in response to my post or one of the others?
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Quote:
It's best to modify the hot side as well...
AO Member

Member car:

Ibiza TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Adam - could you make a GTB2056 fit in place of a GT2256 and work on an EDC15 C5 ECU (vacuum control for the VNT)?

Custom intake/downpipe fabrication is no problem for me, but ECU control of the VNT bothers me.
GTB2056 already is VAC controlled isnt it? Might have a bit of a frig with the compressor pipes as Allerd says..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerd View Post
I could be interested in a gtb2260v based on gtb2056v, Just havent got the gtb2056v turbine housing atm..
I think I may have found one...

Quote:
Sounds easy when you say it fast! Compressor cover isn't the easiest thing to hold to machine...
Yeah a stage 1 might be a compressor wheel and perhaps cutback. Stage 2 would be compressor and turbine wheel. Stage 3 would be further uprated - for instance my DMB (65mm) compressor wheel and turbine wheel upgrade. Something like that... But really for all the aggro of machining the comp cover I think one would really opt for at minimum uprating both wheels to the GTB2260 variants.

Will post some pix when my core turbo arrives and I can get some machining done...
AD
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
That would be a almost straight fit pud , would just need a little ring made to fit inbetween turbine housing and downpipe. and IC piping should be modified a little bit.
Am I right that the 2.4 10v [150] uses GT2256 turbo as standard?
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
Yes, 2.4 10v 150HP uses GT2256V turbo (Fiat 46769104, Garrett 710811-0001)
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

I'm using a standard turbine again now with a billet compressor wheel, larger than I was before and I'm getting much better spool and driveability. It sits just over 2 bar with a small spike to about 2.2 bar but I think the trimmed turbine was giving a simular amount of power with the smaller compressor, so I'll have to refit my external waste gate. I have been ringing around to try and get a billet turbine, has anyone looked at or experianced said? I think the reduction in weight would make spool much more rapid and threshold should be lower allowing me to have the turbine trimmed back without hurting the driveability down to 1500rpm and below.

Last edited by nutron; 07-04-13 at 10:53.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
I'm using a standard turbine again now with a billet compressor wheel, larger than I was before and I'm getting much better spool and driveability. It sits just over 2 bar with a small spike to about 2.2 bar but I think the trimmed turbine was giving a simular amount of power with the smaller compressor, so I'll have to refit my external waste gate. I have been ringing around to try and get a billet turbine, has anyone looked at or experianced said? I think the reduction in weight would make spool much more rapid and threshold should be lower allowing me to have the turbine trimmed back without hurting the driveability down to 1500rpm and below.
What makes you think a billet turbine wheel is lighter?

At what rpm do you reach the 2 bar now, do you have a log?
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

There are much lighter alloys that could withstand the temperatures in the exhaust and I've been told by the manufactures I spoke to that they would be able to produce it considerably lighter.

In fourth gear I hit 2 bar by 2300rpm using a single 0.4mm water/methanol nozzle, it keeps rising from there to with VNT duty at 44%. In higher gears I have to limit the pressure as it can reach 2 bar before 2000rpm even with the water off.
AO Silver Member

County: -
2 bar boost or 2 bar absolute?
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

3000mb absolute 4.06v on a Bosch 3.5 bar TMAP (0.3v-4.8v, 0.5bar-3.5bar)
I have OPCOM logs and a seperate digital boost gauge.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
There are much lighter alloys that could withstand the temperatures in the exhaust and I've been told by the manufactures I spoke to that they would be able to produce it considerably lighter.
Ok, so you're opting for a different alloy to get the weight reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutron
In fourth gear I hit 2 bar by 2300rpm using a single 0.4mm water/methanol nozzle, it keeps rising from there to with VNT duty at 44%. In higher gears I have to limit the pressure as it can reach 2 bar before 2000rpm even with the water off.
That is not bad, but with a GTB2056v zbrskz and sarkan managed to have 3000 mbar in 4th 500 rpm earlier. And this with a much better flowing turbine.

Imo, whatever fancy turbine wheel you mount, it's the complete package that counts.
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

My clutch can not cope with the torque peaking at 2300-2500rpm, so I don't see a need to push it further down the rev range and 6th gear is happy to accelerate from about 1300rpm, so again I don't see what benifit there would be from more boost earlier. The turbine flow is certainly an issue that can be addressed with trimming but then you lose some spool as I have seen on previous models or there is the external waste gate that I have shown to work well.

The issue with what you are suggesting is that the Vectra uses a bespoke manifold/turbine housing setup and as such a large amount of fabrication and cost would be involved in a swap to a GTB. The work I have done to my turbo requires just the comp wheel and housing machining, to give more torque than the clutch can handle and performance to shame the 2.8T V6 VXR 280PS, as it has done on Thunder Road at a lower output than now.

If a lightened turbine can allow me to maintain a simular spool threshold with a trim, that would be the most cost effective option for the masses and that is what I am looking for ultimately. With the uprated injectors I put in my mates Saab, the spool threshold is even lower than mine with the same compressor, so I will be moving to try that soon.

In money terms, a second hand turbo for mine is £100 and the work is around £450. I'd be pushing it to find a GTB2056 for anything like £100 and a manifold alone would set me back about £1000 because I have had several quotes. Then changing the oil lines on top and new exhaust coupling. I don't see many people wanting to shell £1500 + before they even get mapped or look at a clutch upgrade. This is the complete package as you refer to, pure performance is not the only consideration for me and if it was I would be installing a compound setup.
AO Member

Member car:

Ibiza TDi

If you are going to the expense of changing the turbine wheel why not put a bigger one in? Makes for less back pressure and easier breathing.
Works well...
AO Member

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

Because it also moves the spool threshold, I have tried different wheels and trims. A waste gate in conjunction with the VNT has worked best so far.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
How about for 156 2.4 20v? Does the turbo need to be clocked from its original rotation?

The reason I ask instead of fitting my GTB2056 to my 156 2.4 10v my brother has decided he will buy the car from me and I am about to pick up a 156 2.4 20v Ti SW..
Club Member
Membro Premio

yes, it has the same setup.
You can swap a 20v unit on a 10v pretty easy , you'll just need the front cat (or downpipe) and front pipe.
Done it several times.

imho gtb2056v works really nice on 156 20v! I've had it on for a couple of weeks while waiting on my hybrid to finish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
210bhp , alfa , gtb2056 , jtdm , turbocharger

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page