Where would you start? 147 and £3k to spend - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 25-03-13 Thread Starter

County: Norfolk

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDm

Where would you start? 147 and £3k to spend

Hi guys,

Got my little 147 2.0 JTDm 140 Lusso and I've come into a little money. Instead of trading it in I've decided I'd like to upgrade and 'pimp' the car. I have up to a max of £3k I can spend on it - but the work can't be carried out myself so I do have to take labour, and a good full service into the cost too!

Things I have on my wish list:

A full service with new cambelt
Engine remap
Q2 Diff
Replacement badge
Fix knackered A/C
Heated seats
Bi-Xeon lights (in particular the sodding number plate ones that keep blowing!)
Stainless steel performance exhaust
Turbo hoses to be replaced with steel tubes if possible
Ditch the EGR

Money allowing, I'd love to throw in a break and clutch upgrade too.

As you can probably guess, I'm both a noob and not exactly mechanical. Technical, but I simply don't have any engineering knowledge and zero opportunity to do any work on my Alfa myself (just haven't got anywhere to do it!!).

So really I'm after any suggestions, tips, advice or feedback. Was thinking of taking her to Alfa Shop in Norwich after good recommendations from my mate who also has a 147. Am I talking nonsense about the upgrades / should I be looking at a different track?

I presume that with the remap and other tweaks the induction may need to be upgraded too...

Thanks for any input you may have - just prepping myself before I start looking for Alfa garages to get started!

Cheers,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

half of what you listed is routine maintenance work.

a remap and decat will add extra horses and economy and is the best lb for £ upgrade to a diesel.

Personally, I would save the 3k and put it in a pot marked 335d or 535d as these are missiles with big brakes, heated leather and all the things you have listed.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehoot View Post
A full service with new cambelt - £500 including waterpump (annual service + full belt/pump change)
Engine remap - £300
Q2 Diff - Quaife diff fitted for £650
Fix knackered A/C - bin it all off, -20kg over the front end, less drag on the engine
Heated seats - You don't have them at all or they don't work?
Bi-Xeon lights - About £70 in parts from ebay.
Stainless steel performance exhaust - £350 from one of the usual franchises, Longlife/Powerflow etc
Turbo hoses to be replaced with steel tubes - full front mount IC kit from JS tuning £350
Ditch the EGR - turned off in the map plus some £5 steel blanks.
Not much over 2 grand there. You could also add in Eibach anti-roll bars and a good set of tyres with your budget, but the sensible man would probably save the money for a clutch change.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

The sensible man would blow the 3k seeing the world rather than wasting the money on a car.

Life experiences
AO Silver Member

You can get a 2.0jtdm? Haha

Also why has nobody mentioned a 147 GTA?

Though I have to say stainless steel turbo pipes sound amazing.
AO Member

County: Essex
i think you would be best to sell it and put the 3k towards a better one, how much is your car worth?
AO Silver Member

Also am I right in saying that with a remap and quaife/q2 diff you may need a new clutch soonish anyway?
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

Brembo upgrade
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Buy a better car, it has been said, and i'll back it, imho you're throwing that money away sinking it into a diseasel 147
AO Member

County: Somerset
Although it sounds good advice, we were asked to recommend upgrades to an existing car, one where the faults are known, and the mechanical condition is also known, £3000 doesn't always buy a reliable car, as usually cars are exchanged when they need jobs being done. Rant over. Full service, remap, induction and exhaust upgrades followed by the clutch replacement would be my preferred options any money left pays for the fuel to enjoy it if/ when we get a summer.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

Cam belt change first, the uprated injectors and hybrid turbo, bigger front break, straight through stainless exhaust (get rid of the cats and silencers) and then map it. What do you want to do with it though, as I would do the above but if you wanted to track race it then suspension, brakes and a dif would be better choices.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Sorry to be a spoil sport but have to agree with the others.

If you don't have the ability to pay for servicing and tuning over time via surplus income, then to squander a rare lump sum windfall in such a way will likely leave you feeling regretful later.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Buy a scrapped/damaged 147 with leather and aircon and 17 inch or maybe other bit's you are after .
I like the bin the aircon option
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

don't take this the wrong way, but...

learning to drive it properly will make the car much faster a to b.

just to quanitify,
I did a trackday at snett (300) in a totally standard road car and was consistent with 2.27-2.28's. A chap who I know who has done loads of trackdays etc and has moved into racing - he was driving a race spec clio 182 (1000kg and a very accomplished car on the track, always much quicker in the right hands than my car) and his best time was 2.31 but consistent with 2.33's

I looked over his footage and the first thing I noticed was his lack of high speed corner speed - boy the car could accelerate, but it was as though he had no bottle to keep it nailed.

I have seen other big mouths with supercharged cars running 50bhp than mine (same type of car) and be 7 seconds per lap consistently slower.

the difference is not turbo's, remaps or big brakes.

The difference was down to 2 things, although the main difference was 'driving', the other was grip which contributes to carrying corner speed.
A slow car well driven can be quicker than a fast car driven averagely.

So my advice if anyone wants to go quick, is spend the money learning to drive properly in the first place, it will work out much cheaper and be much more fun, there are loads of decent instructors from Mark Hales to, and even Jack Goff who has set up recently. (for those who don't know Jack, ex clio cup championship and now btcc)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
147 , mod , noob , norwich , spend , start , upgrade , £3k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page