Eastgerman Italian aka Trebi V6TB - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Eastgerman Italian aka Trebi V6TB

Here it is... me and my dad's new project. Only this time, the car will only be for dragrace!

Car in question is a:
Trabant 601 1.1 and only 612kg in stock form
click

Plan is to fit inside the V6TB engine from my 145. Car has to stay FWD and it has to be as light as possible...
click

But why this car? Because it is unique and the fact it was free Also because it weights next to nothing, and because is has polyester roof, doors, front and rear fenders.
click

click

Plan is also to make front and back hood from polyester, and replace all the windows except front windscreen, with plexiglass, so that the weight will be even smaller. Because if I want to be competitive, and not spend 5k on the engine, I need to have as little weight as possible...
click

In the interior there will only be one bucket seat, 4-point harness, and a fire extinguisher. And in the trunk a custom 20l fuel tank.
click

click

In the front there will be dragslicks on 13" wheels. And at the back the thinnest 15" wheels I'll be able to find. Something like this very fast VW from our country is using...
click

About the engine... a full service was made a while back, when I still drove the 145. Everything was replaced back then, even the bearings. So basically I don't need to do anything special with the engine, just a quick service and bolt on all the parts I have left from my 145 project...

Of course, how to get this big engine in such a tiny engine bay?
click

click

With cutting of course!
click

click

click

It's logical, that in this engine bay, you cannot get anything bigger than a 1.8GTi engine from a VW. That is why, as they say... "drastic times call for drastic measures"
click
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

click

Already test fitting an Italian to an Eastgerman
click

click

click

Floor ready
click

Test fitting fenders and the bonnet
click

click

First steps of welding the front end
click

click

And already fixed underneath, at the shock absorbers, at the side, and bolted to the chassis
click

click

click

click

click

Stock wheelbase of Trabant is 2020mm, now it is exactly 2000mm. Wheel base is spot on on both sides, and the height is the same. As they say... "measure twice, weld once", and that's exactly what we did...
click

click
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

The floor looks like this... 1,5mm thick steel, with steel tubes still to come on the inside for more strength
click

click

Here is where the tunnel for the shifter will be
click

The engine went in, just for test purpose.
click

click

Trebi is so light at the back, that when we lifted the engine inside, it almost tilted forward on the ramp...
click

We also had to lift the bonnet, because it was touching the upper shock absorber mount. This isn't the finished look, because when the polyester bonnet will be finished, we'll use bonnet catches for more safety. But it will probably stay lifted at the windscreen, so it doesn't catch on the upper shock absorber mounts, and also so the engine heat can escape more freely...
click

Here is the interior, or what's left of it
click

We are preparing the steering wheel supports. Getting this steering wheel in place was a big challenge, because the steering column from a 145 is way to long for this car, and also Trabant has some incredibly thin structure. Welding on it was very difficult.
click

Upper steering column, which had to be cut for about 200mm...
click

That's it for now. Project was due to completion soon, but it got sidetracked because I first need to finish my daily driver 164, and then it will be Trabant's turn. Until next time...
'talla
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

cool

Trabi was already lively with 1.1 54bhp - can't even imagine how it will feel with v6 - pure engine on wheels

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
aka , eastgerman , italian , trebi , v6tb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page