Diesel Chip Tuning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Alfa

Diesel Chip Tuning

Hi, new to the forum, pick my car up on saturday.
I will be owning a 1.6 diesel giulietta.
I have some questions??
I was thinking about chip tuning it but would like to know which one to use?? Is it worth it???
and my biggest question is does it affect the DNA?? eg will it prevent this from working??

All help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Speak to Gus at Alfatune, he's your man

Alfatune Motorsport
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

147 gta

Go for a remap I would recommend the place that done my qv, plus they've got a rolling road so you can see the before and after
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I am interested in getting a remap and using Gus as I've not heard bad things and everyone says he's a great guy. But like Shimmy in the original post I have a 1.6d and want too know what can be done with the DNA and mapping.

My ideal situation would be if I could get N mode too run similar too how it is with less or removing completely the turbo lag in lower revs as I love the MPG I get in this mode in the 1.6. So N is entirely aimed at getting the best economy possible.

A mode again stays the same with lower or no turbo lag but all its other safety systems/settings stay the same.

However in D mode I want all out what I can get from the tuning (without a DPF removal), so again lower or remove turbo lag and then get as much punch out as possible.

Is this something that can be done? as my understanding now of a remap is its all about adjusting torque and timings, saving it as a map and the Giulietta can store 3 different maps for each DNA setting?
AO Member

County: Vlaams Brabant
My 1.3 diesel was remapped. The new map was installed on the D-switch. It 'unleashes' its full power only in D-mode . A better throttle response was only applied to N.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinzend View Post
My 1.3 diesel was remapped. The new map was installed on the D-switch. It 'unleashes' its full power only in D-mode . A better throttle response was only applied to N.
To be honest I think that would do it, I like N as it is its not the most responsive but it allows me to easily get over 60mpg on most journeys which is great and throttle response might help make N a bit nicer though, I just want a lot more in D, more torque, as much as I can get without a DPF removal.

I don't drive over 90mph on any occasion and even that's rare really so I'm not really bothered about top speeds increasing I just want more punch-iness upto like 70mph for a bit more fun. Even a bit more maybe if I'm cruising at 70 and want too much more quickly build up speed to over take them, 70-80 probably takes about 4-5 seconds in 6th in a 1.6.

I remember before a system software upgrade late last year the car had more punch and I liked that but it seems to be toned down since.
AO Member

I spoke to Gus and what a nice genuine guy, he really explained it as it is and gave me a great understanding of what can be done and how things work.

So much so I might have to save harder and get the DPF removal done too but that's alot of money so we'll see. I will definitely be using him which ever I choose as you can tell that guy has confidence in his abilities too get the very best out of any car.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbito View Post
I spoke to Gus and what a nice genuine guy, he really explained it as it is and gave me a great understanding of what can be done and how things work.

So much so I might have to save harder and get the DPF removal done too but that's alot of money so we'll see. I will definitely be using him which ever I choose as you can tell that guy has confidence in his abilities too get the very best out of any car.
You won't regret it. AlfaTune/Gus done my car....and it goes ok.... Very professional chap with lots & lots of engine tuning experience....just what you need...

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
You won't regret it. AlfaTune/Gus done my car....and it goes ok.... Very professional chap with lots & lots of engine tuning experience....just what you need...

Thanks, I don't think I'll be taking it as far as you have with your skunking thread ive read through lol

I'm still not sure about getting the DPF removed as I don't know exactly what the consequences are, insurance adjustments, MOT results, cO2 increases and then tax costs based on this. Also what's the cost if I have too put the DPF back on due to selling the car or what ever?

£850 is alot of money I wasn't planning on spending, but I don't know if just getting a remap and keeping the DPF will make that much of an impact or too really make it worth it you need to get both done.

Has anyone just got a remap without the DPF removed at first then got the DPF removed later? And what was the impact at both stages?

Spending all that money buying this car wasn't as hard a decission for me Lol I'm useless
AO Member

Whats peoples insurances been like after a remap?

I've just ran a quote finder, 0-10% engine increase is £20 more.

11-25% engine increase is £30 more with Diamond, Elephant, Admiral.

26%+ engine increase is between £1200 - £1500 more and LV & Nationwide are all that would insure you!!!

On Quantum Tuning which I am aware Gus is part of and would expect similar results advertise a 31% increase in HP. I'm worried. and would below 25% increase be worth the cost?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbito View Post
would insure you!!!

On Quantum Tuning which I am aware Gus is part of
Sorry but I don't know where you got that from.........................no association whatsoever.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA TUNER View Post
Sorry but I don't know where you got that from.........................no association whatsoever.
Really? Okay sorry I didn't mean too offend, I was looking through old threads about DPF removal and it mentioned yourself and AHM(?) where part of the Quantum Tuning group. Guess it was wrong.

But the increase of above 25% has me worried, I couldn't afford that sort of insurance premium. Would below 25% be worth it and would removing the DPF push this over 25% increase?

Or should I just email/PM you regarding this? Thanks Gus

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
chip , diesel , tuning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page