Traffic Light Grand Prix - after market traction control - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-12 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

GTV V6

Traffic Light Grand Prix - after market traction control

Hi all,

I have been searching & reading posts from this web site for a few years now. The information & answers posted were good enough that I have never had any reason to post a question myself. So this is my first post. HELLO!

My question is that I want to know whether any of you have installed an after market traction control system such as that from RaceLogic. I am concerned that if I install it, it may result in misfire detection & put the car in limp home mode. (it works by creating a misfire so as to quell power to the tires). Before all of you reply saying that I do not need it if I am a good driver please remember that this is a FWD car with a lot of power. Yes I have installed a Q2 diff. And yes I can drive without traction control but I detest constantly buying NEW tires.

The car is a phase 2 GTV 2002:
- I have dropped a 3.2L engine from an Alfa GT in
- The car has a Q2 diff
- new Koni shocks
- new control arms
- new Good Year Eagle F1 directional tires
And handles like a dream.

Once moving I do not need traction control as the GTV handles very well, however when having a drag race at the traffic lights there is just too much power to be put to the tarmac. This keeps destroying the tires.(traction is much better after putting in new control arms however as this is a FWD car tyre wear is still excessive.)

Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has installed one of these.

Hong KONG Phooy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Luxembourg
its called launch control, and either you'd have it already with an aftermarket ecu. Or if you have the factory ecu and body computer running. Fit the bosch abs unit and u will have traction control back, or this thread is just bs
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
your post is bs.
The poster did not claim he had an aftermarket ecu. He asked if any of us had installed one.

I havent heard of anyone installing an aftermarket ECU into any GTV, sorry.
AO Member

County: Essex
Can't help on the electronics side. But....

I had a powerful diesel before, first gear was a joke. An early shift to second helped loads. But this was because the torque came in very early. Whether this works for you depends on the torque level when you change early to second.

Something else that might help would be wider tyres?
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong_KONG_Phooy View Post
Hi all,

I have been searching & reading posts from this web site for a few years now. The information & answers posted were good enough that I have never had any reason to post a question myself. So this is my first post. HELLO!

My question is that I want to know whether any of you have installed an after market traction control system such as that from RaceLogic. I am concerned that if I install it, it may result in misfire detection & put the car in limp home mode. (it works by creating a misfire so as to quell power to the tires). Before all of you reply saying that I do not need it if I am a good driver please remember that this is a FWD car with a lot of power. Yes I have installed a Q2 diff. And yes I can drive without traction control but I detest constantly buying NEW tires.

The car is a phase 2 GTV 2002:
- I have dropped a 3.2L engine from an Alfa GT in
- The car has a Q2 diff
- new Koni shocks
- new control arms
- new Good Year Eagle F1 directional tires
And handles like a dream.

Once moving I do not need traction control as the GTV handles very well, however when having a drag race at the traffic lights there is just too much power to be put to the tarmac. This keeps destroying the tires.(traction is much better after putting in new control arms however as this is a FWD car tyre wear is still excessive.)

Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has installed one of these.

Hong KONG Phooy.
I have never hear of anyone fitting one of these to a GTV. Your best bet would probably be to give either Alfatuner or AHM Motorsport a call, they may have fitted or heard of these being used before.

I'm not sure it's going to have the desired effect tho, if you are putting a kit if power through the tyres they will wear excessively regardless of weather they are spinning or not.

I'd love to drop a 3.2 into mine. Was there a big difference from the 3.0?
cgc
AO Silver Member

County: Monmouthshire
I really thought Venom Motorsport sold a system, but I cant find it on there website anymore, maybe give them a ring.

Mr75, what are you on!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I really thought Venom Motorsport sold a system, but I cant find it on there website anymore, maybe give them a ring.

Mr75, what are you on!!!
Be careful, systems that work by inducing misfires kill auto transmissions, so I would assume they are very hard on dual mass flywheels too.
AO Member

Member car:

164 1990 V6

Worth a read perhaps,

1991 Product Bulletin - Engineering (part 2)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-romeo...item2577c548db.

As the last post mentioned an Auto gearbox.

That gearbox was off a 1991 12v 164 and was fitted with an aftermarket adjustable TC, the owner apparently spec'd the conversion for towing a caravan! The adjustment dial was situated on the centre console by the handbrake.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Link to the product, for the benefit of everyone except the OP (whom I assume already has this information)

Racelogic - Traction Control

I've no experience whatsoever with this. Apart from adding the above link (which I thought might be useful for those offering an opinion) the only thing I can add is that the only opinion I've ever heard was from someone on another forum who owns their own race preparation company, and who also races too, and they weren't a fan of the Racelogic system (this was a few years ago mind, so memory isn't perfect, but I think they found the system too intrusive). But that's just 3rd hand information, and you'll always get positives and negatives if you look hard enough. So in summary, not much help at all

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
control , grand , light , market , prix , traction , traffic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page