GT 3.2 v6 tuning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 24-09-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 11

Member car:

gtv

GT 3.2 v6 tuning

Hi guys

I'm thinking of purchasing GT V6 and have some queries regarding tuning options etc, hoping for some guidance.

Firstly, the car is to be used as a second car, having owned a 145 Cloverleaf and 155 v6 I have thoroughly bought into the alfa brand, now I'm in a position to purchase something modern / fun for a second car / toy. I am thinking a V6 GT should offer the right balance of performance thrills and good looks.

As a driving enthusiast, I want to know how the GT handles spirited driving, I believe the brake are adequate, albeit with some upgraded pads, but what about suspension? This car may make a few ventures to the track but will mainly be used on the back roads, and country lanes. Thus should I plan for suspensions upgrades, and if so, what?

I have no doubt that in standard guise the 3.2 V6 is fairly potent, but, as this is going to be a toy, I want to maximise the engine's potential. I want a little more noise and a little more go. I have been reading the various common options and have come to dead-ends on certain options:

Are carbon plenums commercially available yet, are ACT performance manufacturing these? If so - are they worthwhile?

Are cams a worthwhile investment?

Is super-sprint the only option for performance manifolds and high flow CAT?

My thoughts regarding engine performance enhancement are full exhaust, including manifolds, F360 throttlebody, carbon plenum (if available) and the obligatory REMAP, and whilst I am sure there will be notable oral enhancements, will this release appreciable extra ponies form the engine. I believe cams will be financially unviable at over 1400 plus fitting etc.

I will also be fitting a diff, but unsure whether to go Q2 or Quaife… suggestions?

Ultimately I would like the car to drive well / be rewarding, sound like thunder and have an honest 270 bhp, and more importantly I want to feel ever one of those ponies.

I have been researching costs, and whilst I know nothing is impossible (with reason) for an unlimited budget I have clear limits on what I am willing to spend before I will just capitulate and consider a different brand…

So your thoughts.

Many thanks.
wanzap1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Not Stock
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
County: -
Posts: 853
I have almost exactly the same plans as yours.

though I would add ARBS and possibly coil overs / suspension upgrade.

And cams, are my last option, as it might feel too lively for day to day driving. cost vs power.

I just had a supersprint exhaust installed.
Chassis Collars
Front and rear struts in the boot, awaiting installation.

the rest are to be ordered and installed in another 14,000 km.
Saabretooth is offline  
Status: the wife can't wrestle but you should see her box
AO Silver Member
 
PANIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanzap1 View Post
Hi guys

I'm thinking of purchasing GT V6 and have some queries regarding tuning options etc, hoping for some guidance.

Firstly, the car is to be used as a second car, having owned a 145 Cloverleaf and 155 v6 I have thoroughly bought into the alfa brand, now I'm in a position to purchase something modern / fun for a second car / toy. I am thinking a V6 GT should offer the right balance of performance thrills and good looks.

As a driving enthusiast, I want to know how the GT handles spirited driving, I believe the brake are adequate, albeit with some upgraded pads, but what about suspension? This car may make a few ventures to the track but will mainly be used on the back roads, and country lanes. Thus should I plan for suspensions upgrades, and if so, what?

I have no doubt that in standard guise the 3.2 V6 is fairly potent, but, as this is going to be a toy, I want to maximise the engine's potential. I want a little more noise and a little more go. I have been reading the various common options and have come to dead-ends on certain options:

Are carbon plenums commercially available yet, are ACT performance manufacturing these? If so - are they worthwhile?

Are cams a worthwhile investment?

Is super-sprint the only option for performance manifolds and high flow CAT?

My thoughts regarding engine performance enhancement are full exhaust, including manifolds, F360 throttlebody, carbon plenum (if available) and the obligatory REMAP, and whilst I am sure there will be notable oral enhancements, will this release appreciable extra ponies form the engine. I believe cams will be financially unviable at over 1400 plus fitting etc.

I will also be fitting a diff, but unsure whether to go Q2 or Quaife… suggestions?

Ultimately I would like the car to drive well / be rewarding, sound like thunder and have an honest 270 bhp, and more importantly I want to feel ever one of those ponies.

I have been researching costs, and whilst I know nothing is impossible (with reason) for an unlimited budget I have clear limits on what I am willing to spend before I will just capitulate and consider a different brand…

So your thoughts.

Many thanks.
mines for sale and most of the work is done for you........
PANIC is offline  
GTA_Nigel
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re diffs, Q2s are hard to get hold of now, the Quaife seems to be the way to go.

Check out the GTA lounge - there is a whole thread there on the carbon plenum which is still undergoing testing.

Cheers,

Nigel
 
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_Nigel View Post
Re diffs, Q2s are hard to get hold of now

Cheers,

Nigel

ALFA TUNER is offline  
Status: Exhaust back to original
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 1,472

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6 orange

You can still get Q2 but I'm aware they are more expensive that the quaife but someone may correct me, I have a Q2 and it's a great mod
andycGT is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanzap1 View Post
Ultimately I would like the car to drive well / be rewarding, sound like thunder and have an honest 270 bhp, and more importantly I want to feel ever one of those ponies.
The GT V6 will be a great base to get all you have explained you want to have

When it comes to mods - all you have mentioned - exhaust, plenum, cams, remap all work together to bring out those extra hidden ponies. To be honest you will only unleash them properly with mentioned mods all done. Each item alone might give you 5hp - but all done together will give you an extra 5hp for free.

When it come to "feeling" the ponies you need to handling mods - Q2 / Quaife is the 1st MUST. Then again: stiffer ARB, shocks, springs, strut brace will each add to the handling, but together will be much more than each alone.

If you need to stage your upgrade path for your cash-flow to stay stable as you do them one-by-one my suggested sequence would be:
1. Exhaust pipe - decat /sport cat please - number one restriction of a) sound b) ponies.
2. Q2 / Quaife - now that you have some more ponies - handle them.
3. Plenum - OEM plenum was designed for 2.5L you have 3.2L - nuff said - the sound factor is upped as well
4. Time to add to the handling again: I would recommend an adjustable coil-over system: it is more than spring-and-shock combo while costing only a fraction more - most are height adjustable, so you don't have to guess what you want and then get stuck with it... oh and the front / rear height balance is not guaranteed - look at some rant threads.
5. Now that the car can breathe in better and breathe out better make the more air work for you - add GTA2 cams - GTA1 will be too little of an enhancement, but is still civil.
6. Now that you have all the performance thingies add the last pub-talk item before the remap (yes it will add power - I just had to throw that it there )
7. Now make the enhancements work together - remap your bella
8. If adjusting the coilies still lacks a bit of that "on rails" cornering - add a strut brace and the ARB's

x. If at any time you start cooking your brakes by enjoying all that it you have a bit much - then do - in this order:
i) pads ii) fluid iii) braided hoses iv) slotted discs
Simichi likes this.

Last edited by Gertie; 26-09-12 at 11:45.
Gertie is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_Nigel View Post
Re diffs, Q2s are hard to get hold of now, the Quaife seems to be the way to go.
Can still get hold of Q2s, they are just more expensive than the Quaife kit we sell. £550 inc VAT for Quaife diff, pair of bearings, pair of driveshaft seals and a pair of diff O-rings. Absolute bargain of the century for a diff that is £792 on its own from the manufacturer.

If Alfa hadn't been so greedy and kept upping their prices, we'd still be selling Q2s.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 38 Old 27-09-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 11

Member car:

gtv

Hi

thanks for the replies

Gerti - your advice is sound, and I was thinking along the same lines.

Ideally I would like a black or red one (did Alfa ever release a Blackline 3.2?)

Having undertook more research I would hope to install a GTV manifold (is this possible? its what the 156 GTA guys seem to do) I'll prop have a custom highflow cat arrangement, as it will think I can get it cheaper then those offered commercially, initial costing I reckon I get it fabricated for circa 500, as opposed to nearly 1000.

I think it prudent to install the plenum at this stage and get it all remapped.

Next would be diff, then finally suspension.

And whilst I have no doubt the final car would be epic, the costs still make me shudder - so it will be a long-term project.

Now to pick the car which takes my fancy!
wanzap1 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
147GTADriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 642

Member car:

147 GTA

With the exception of changing the diff the handling mods should come first, no point in having more power when you can't even use the 240bhp the car came with from the factory.
147GTADriver is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 147GTADriver View Post
With the exception of changing the diff the handling mods should come first, no point in having more power when you can't even use the 240bhp the car came with from the factory.
I would agree and disagree.
Agree that you have to do it to experience all the ponies - but the GT handles quite well from standard and have fairly decent brakes - you will not get yourself beyond the car's capabilities THAT easily unless you really try. It not like he is putting a V6 into 1.6 body...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanzap1 View Post
Having undertook more research I would hope to install a GTV manifold (is this possible? its what the 156 GTA guys seem to do) I'll prop have a custom highflow cat arrangement, as it will think I can get it cheaper then those offered commercially, initial costing I reckon I get it fabricated for circa 500, as opposed to nearly 1000.
I think it prudent to install the plenum at this stage and get it all remapped.
All the V6 manifolds look the same at the engine side and follow the same curvatures, the flanges to the 2-into-1 part do differ between versions - so there might be some rework to get the flanges to match - but for the most they are interchangeable - just get the lambda's put back and the same point and same depth as before.

A remap after the exhaust and plenum is a good idea yes.
Gertie is offline  
Status: Not Stock
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
County: -
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanzap1 View Post
Hi

Ideally I would like a black or red one (did Alfa ever release a Blackline 3.2?)

Now to pick the car which takes my fancy!
The Blackline version of the 3.2 I believe is called the limited edition sold in 2010.
Saabretooth is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: Abu Zaby
Posts: 342

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

This is the first upgrade you need to do!

skim disck, upgraded pads, ss brake hoses, clean everything, check brarings, replace seals, Racing brake fluid, (used motul as thats whats used here on the track and available, but any will do)

I have fitted the PF Z rated brake pads up front, so last night we had a test around our unoffical track, after 10 mins of driving the brakes were bedded in, now the P Zeros are out braked, much better feel, still you can feel the servo working, but the rock solid.

This modification is fantastic, their is nothing more need on the brakes,( unless you are reducing weight) the tires can't cope.(245 at the front needed)

Painting of calipers optional, but they were off and it was easy to do.

Thanks Ned for the advise!

Last edited by Dubai GT; 17-03-14 at 06:39.
Dubai GT is offline  
Status: Search for perfection...
Temp Un-Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 3,532

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Where to start!

I've got what I'd like to think as one of the more modded 3.2 GTAs in the UK. My list is as follows...

Exhaust System

- CF2 manifolds (cat less).
- 100 cell sports cat (racing cat tbh).
- Wizard cat back section.

Intake System

- BMC CDA.
- Ferrari 430 Throttle Body.
- ACT Carbon Plenum.

[B]Suspension[B/]

- BC Racing BR Series Coilovers.
- Eibach ARBs.
- Powerflex ARB bushes.

All I can say from my 1-2 days of driving with this setup is that it's ****ing rapid, made a known member on here who has owned several GTAs stomach churn when I booted it!
BeautifulBusso is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso View Post
I've got what I'd like to think as one of the more modded 3.2 GTAs in the UK.
All I can say from my 1-2 days of driving with this setup is that it's ****ing rapid, made a known member on here who has owned several GTAs stomach churn when I booted it!
Congratulations on a good buy!!!

You've got a nice shopping list - I would just hold back on the BMC CDA - there are a number of guys who tried it and chucked it out again - a BMC drop-in replacement filter works a charm
If you get the Eibach ARB - they come with decent bushes - I don't think you'll need to buy separate polly bushes.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the modding!
Gertie is offline  
Status: Not Stock
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
County: -
Posts: 853
What and where can I get a gta2 cam?
How much is it?
Any other stuff to be done when fitting or is it really just plug and play?
Saabretooth is offline  
Status: Search for perfection...
Temp Un-Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 3,532

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabretooth View Post
What and where can I get a gta2 cam?
How much is it?
Any other stuff to be done when fitting or is it really just plug and play?
More to the point, what is gta2 cam?
BeautifulBusso is offline  
Status: Search for perfection...
Temp Un-Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 3,532

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Congratulations on a good buy!!!

You've got a nice shopping list - I would just hold back on the BMC CDA - there are a number of guys who tried it and chucked it out again - a BMC drop-in replacement filter works a charm
If you get the Eibach ARB - they come with decent bushes - I don't think you'll need to buy separate polly bushes.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the modding!
I've still got the OEM air intake in a box so can always revert back to that if the CDA is not up to the job

As for the bushes for the Eibach ARBs, I like to be thorough and had bought them way before the I bought the ARBs.
BeautifulBusso is offline  
Status: Not Stock
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
County: -
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso View Post
More to the point, what is gta2 cam?
I don't know, but I was referring to what Gertie wrote below



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post

If you need to stage your upgrade path for your cash-flow to stay stable as you do them one-by-one my suggested sequence would be:
.....
.....
...
5. Now that the car can breathe in better and breathe out better make the more air work for you - add GTA2 cams - GTA1 will be too little of an enhancement, but is still civil.

...
....
...
Saabretooth is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso View Post
More to the point, what is gta2 cam?
From what I read in another thread where the S.A. bunch were posting about it, its just short-hand for a set of GTA cams that've been re-profiled to give a longer duration.

GTA1 was referring to reprofiling just the exhaust cam to match the duration of the intake cam.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Search for perfection...
Temp Un-Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 3,532

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
From what I read in another thread where the S.A. bunch were posting about it, its just short-hand for a set of GTA cams that've been re-profiled to give a longer duration.

GTA1 was referring to reprofiling just the exhaust cam to match the duration of the intake cam.
Ah okay, makes sense now
BeautifulBusso is offline  
Status: Not Stock
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
County: -
Posts: 853
Ah, now the air is slightly cleared up.

on that note, what type of power change do the GTA2 cam profiles have?

and where can we get them? order from SA, through?
Saabretooth is offline  
Status: Search for perfection...
Temp Un-Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 3,532

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabretooth View Post
Ah, now the air is slightly cleared up.

on that note, what type of power change do the GTA2 cam profiles have?

and where can we get them? order from SA, through?
You can have your GTA cams refrofilled from AHM over here as far as I know, maybe Gus can do it too?
BeautifulBusso is offline  
Status: Race cars in progress
AO Silver Member
 
Gertie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 5,994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso View Post
You can have your GTA cams refrofilled from AHM over here as far as I know, maybe Gus can do it too?
Std 2.5(both)/3.0(both)/(3.2 exh) 250 deg, GTA1(3.2 inlet) 257 deg and GTA2(inlet) 268 deg
Gertie is offline  
Status: Selespeed that's reliable
AO Gold Member
 
turbonutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 7,047

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Yes GTA1 is basically GTA inlet profile on the inlet and exhaust. So that is 257 deg on all 4. What we do on 2.5 and 3.0’s since you cannot re-profile the standard 2.5 and 3.0 cam to GTA2.
GTA2 is 268 deg inlet and 257 outlet. The stock GTA inlet cam obviousely allow more radical re-profiling.

Having played with all the combinations I prefer GTA1 so on a 3.2 you just re-profile the outlet cams to be the same as the inlets.
It really frees up the motor.
The lift stay unchanged on all the cams.
GTA2 tend to drop the vacuum substantially which could be a problem for some owners since the brake assist will disappear.
If you stand at a robot lift your foot of the brake and reapply it will be nice and hard.

The best result till date was on a 156 2.5. we changed the inlet runners to 3.0 units made a couple of changes to the induction pipes dropped in a replacement filter, got rid of the cats and inserted GTA1 cams.
After a dyno the power went up to 170kw and 250nm that’s basically the same as what my 3.0 GTV with open pipe and remap did.

3.0 GTV with open pipe GTA1 cams and remap made 179.8kw in my experience that’s basically 3.2 power.

3.2 GTV with GTA2 cams 202kw all the kw are converted to crank which I do not like but that’s what I have to work with.

I believe there’s still a kw or two in the 3.0 and 3.2 if we take them to the person who tuned the 2.5. He actually work to get the most out of the motor.

We found that crank kw and wheel HP tend to be the same on the Alfas measured in Pretoria

GTV V6 Turbo, Q2, Eibach, Koni, and lots more
916 2.0 Spider what have I done
Triumph Trophy 1200 to counter the fuel prices.
turbonutters is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
tuning

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alfa Romeo Engine Numbers TS,JTS,V6,JTD biffa Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6) 35 27-03-17 21:58
Decat pipe for gt 3.2 v6? What options mellinator2k Alfa 147, 156 & GT 2 12-06-10 21:25
Reduction on my GT 3.2 V6 Graham P Alfa 147, 156 & GT 35 26-04-10 20:12
Anybody thinking about changing their 147 GTA for a GT 3.2 V6 Graham P Alfa GTA 25 10-04-10 08:29
New Alfa GT 3.2 V6 tuning? MiGT3.2ASS Tuning & Upgrades 6 01-10-08 15:18

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome