on the v6 do u really need ???.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 23-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
on the v6 do u really need ???..

the massive air box ?? ive got the cda induction kit but would it make any difference if i had a smaller one and something to come from the inlet plenum tube then air filter but instead of having it buried in the normal place ?? on the gtv v6 this is cheers ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

The Air box is the best size and in the best place, an open filter will be prone to getting dirty and heat soak! what is your dislike of the current location ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 24-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADfish10 View Post
The Air box is the best size and in the best place, an open filter will be prone to getting dirty and heat soak! what is your dislike of the current location ?
yea its ok just wondered if it be better to have like pipe from inelt plenum to a airfilter box with like enclosed kn straight cold air feed to from of bumper but non of these twists and curves where it is currently living ?? u get me ?? lol
Grahameo

Use the original air box with a 76mm hole drilled in the front then fit cold air kit to the front grill full induction kit to it and an after market filter fitted in the top where the lid would normally be...
Better performance
Better sound
Better heat soak prevention
Better water protection
Better looks
Better prevention of MAF contamination.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...-tutorial.html

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

I do wonder about all the talk of heat soak - I mean if your car's going 40mph+, how long is a given bit of air in the engine bay for?
- maybe 0.1 seconds or so I'd imagine, given that air is a poor conductor of heat I'd be suprised if it's temperature is increased by even 1 degree

(obviously when the car's stationary the engine bay gets hot, but that doesn't matter)
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 25-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

phil your prob spot on mate never looked at it that way or tho prob wouldnt hurt to prob try and even cool the engine bay down by getting a mainfold wrap or something
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

Do some Google searches for David vizard, he covers everything tuning but has a fair bit on engine heat as well.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 26-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADfish10 View Post
Do some Google searches for David vizard, he covers everything tuning but has a fair bit on engine heat as well.
can u post a link mate about the heat etc ?? cheers
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

I had a discussion with a person yesterday who changed to a CDA on his GT 3.2 for a Dyno day.
He lost almost 20hp with the CDA compared to the oe air box with a drop in filter. I can not remember if he used a K&N or BMC replacement.

CDA is useless on Alfas fitted with the large air box.
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 27-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Wow well got rid of my old air box and had a BMC
replacement filter GOT spare one lol or could I modify my one better?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
I do wonder about all the talk of heat soak - I mean if your car's going 40mph+, how long is a given bit of air in the engine bay for?
- maybe 0.1 seconds or so I'd imagine, given that air is a poor conductor of heat I'd be suprised if it's temperature is increased by even 1 degree

(obviously when the car's stationary the engine bay gets hot, but that doesn't matter)
Air intake temperature(AIT) can be read off of the ECU, I have found on a hot summer's day it will vary between 36C to 20C, the faster you go the cooler it gets. While stationary it can get to 50+C and does take a while to come down.
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 27-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonutters View Post
I had a discussion with a person yesterday who changed to a CDA on his GT 3.2 for a Dyno day.
He lost almost 20hp with the CDA compared to the oe air box with a drop in filter. I can not remember if he used a K&N or BMC replacement.

so oe one is best ??
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Yes oe.
The inlet temp is measured at the MAF so the physical temp in the plenum will be higher especially at standstill in traffic.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Turbonutters - this is quite a shock! I fitted the BMC CDA airbox conversion mainly because my old airbox was cracked and air was getting in after the filter. The BMC is a nice piece of kit and sounds delicious, but I always assumed I was getting a bit more power, certainly not a 20bhp drop.... How does this happen and is this a definite on the V6?
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 16-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:

was his car rr with standard filter box ..?? then after with the cda 20 bhp drop ?? because this person would only take it for face value u that his gta would be putting out 250 bhp.. ive known people with gtv v6 with only 190 bhp when it suppose to be 220 because maybe the cams were not set up to be spot on and when set up they have known mega improvements like over 230 bhp maybe with a remap to get the air right etc that the cda comes into play ?>?
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Quote:
He lost almost 20hp with the CDA compared to the oe air box with a drop in filter.
Was this a direct comparrison made on the day? If not, was the previous RR figure from the same set of rollers as the later -20bhp figure? If not, then I'd take this with a huge pinch of salt.

EDIT: Apologies for basicaly repeating Icemancube. I replied before reading the rest of the thread
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 22-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPoomobile View Post
Was this a direct comparrison made on the day? If not, was the previous RR figure from the same set of rollers as the later -20bhp figure? If not, then I'd take this with a huge pinch of salt.

EDIT: Apologies for basicaly repeating Icemancube. I replied before reading the rest of the thread
yea im with u on that bud if that was the case then be alot of people out there wouldnt bother with cda

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page