A light read for anyone thinking of upgrading their suspension - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
A light read for anyone thinking of upgrading their suspension

Many of you might have seen the following website, but if not there's some eye openers about Shocks and springs etc.

Autocross to Win (DGs Autocross Secrets) - Buying Shocks

Got me wondering how many of us ever got their shocks Dynod and as for the bits about adjustable dampers....I feel like I've just found out that Santa isn't real.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Garage
Interesting stuff. Largely aimed at competition tuners but nonetheless ...

Looks like Bilstein are well respected.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yeah, I'm not sure how much it relates to normal road driving at reasonable speeds or how much drivers like me would actually notice whether the shocks didn't match each other. It'd be nice to be in the position where a tuner could go here's this set up, now here's the same set up, dyno'd, tell me honestly Sir, can you notice a difference? I'm sure if I had cash to burn I'd do that.

The one thing it did leave me asking is- Is is too much to ask for the amount of money they cost that if you're buying 2 or 4 dampers, they ought to leave the factory or at least the retailer 'matched'? Maybe people like Balance motor sport do dyno them.

Bilsteins do look good, but Koni Yellows seem to fair well too.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

very interesting read, and even on trackdays, suspension setup is worth a lot of time.

Shocks can go off after 15mins on track like tyres go off in the touring cars, and drivers are after every 10th of a second and pay 7k for suspension at that level.

but yes, you are right, a set of street shocks and springs on a heavyweight 159 or similar driven by an average driver will set set the world alight!
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
drivers are after every 10th of a second and pay 7k for suspension at that level.
Jason,
You're not wrong, this following article shows what an astounding difference Koni adjustables can make to a lap time and why racer's clearly value every tenth . They test them on a Lexus, first they do standard spec, then Koni's on their softest setting followed by Koni's with a hard on. It's incredible how much quicker the Lexus went round the track with the soft Koni- three tenths of a second!!! and the hard on Koni's went an amazing four tenths of a second quicker than when on the soft setting!! Holy smoke, imagine what that would save you on your daily commute and then imagine if you put a stiffer ARB on, you'd defo save another tenth.

Nice article though

KONI Sport Ride & Drive... An Absorbing Experience

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
light , read , suspension , thinking , upgrading

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page