HELP! Suspension bother! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

99 GTV 3.0 V6

HELP! Suspension bother!

Taken the wheel off my 156 SW today and the strut sprung apart so I'm currently browsing the web about replacements. This is possibly a blessing in disguise as I played with the idea of upgrading to a better set up! So I've got my sights on these? Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Suspension Kit With Bilstein B8 Dampers Lowers Front 30mm and Rear 30mm - Demon Tweeks

Is there something I should know about them or is there better out there? Many thanks Gavin.

Last edited by Teuchter; 19-06-12 at 15:12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

can you not get coilovers?

at least you can specify your spring rates, get them made any way you want, be able to adjust the ride height - helps with weight transfer, and have adjustable bump/rebound settings as well for the money of those.

The biggest regret I had when fitting koni adjustables was not fitting coilovers.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
can you not get coilovers?

at least you can specify your spring rates, get them made any way you want, be able to adjust the ride height - helps with weight transfer, and have adjustable bump/rebound settings as well for the money of those.

The biggest regret I had when fitting koni adjustables was not fitting coilovers.
I bought D2 coil-over shocks and went for the standard spring rates they suggest (15kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear) It is a bit hard but liveable. The nice thing about these shocks are the are ride-height adjustable (as 30mm drop was too much for me) and bump/rebound adjustable.

I've done about 6000km on them and I am happy.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 21-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

99 GTV 3.0 V6

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
I bought D2 coil-over shocks and went for the standard spring rates they suggest (15kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear) It is a bit hard but liveable. The nice thing about these shocks are the are ride-height adjustable (as 30mm drop was too much for me) and bump/rebound adjustable.

Cheers for that Gertie. An honest and straight opinion at last! I was wondering how bearable a ride they would produce and what are the roads like down with you? As up here in highlands their not the smoothest!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuchter View Post
Cheers for that Gertie. An honest and straight opinion at last! I was wondering how bearable a ride they would produce and what are the roads like down with you? As up here in highlands their not the smoothest!
The roads here in the cities are ok enough, but by no ways German precision . We have potholes and the fixed ones are not necessarily flat. Uneven road is actually not the problem, the problem is speed bumps (sleeping policemen) - when you are just over and the back wheels comes back down you really feel the bump . That, and going over an intersection at speed where the road follows the rolling camber of the road you are crossing, the car lifts and makes for an entertaining jumping feeling . It does surprise unweary passengers - but in a fun way
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

if your concerned about being too stiff, just specify a slightly softer spring.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post

15kg/mm is a 840lb spring front
and 280 lb rr

I use 800 fr and 600 rr on my track car, (may go to 1000lb fr) but 840 seems very high for an off the shelf combo.

perhaps 400 fr and 250rr if its a 2.4 heavyweight, perhaps 350 & 250 for a 1.9.

I have some spare 450lb 2.25" springs, the good thing about coilover setup is theer are lots of springs avail both new and used, so you can try different ones out.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 22-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

99 GTV 3.0 V6

I'm not entirely sure chaps I can adjust the rates on this kit.
I've also already ordered the kit so no going back now but for now the long wait and lifts from my sister continue!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure chaps I can adjust the rates on this kit.
I've also already ordered the kit so no going back now but for now the long wait and lifts from my sister continue!
what kit did you go for?

if coilovers, they usually make to order the coilover assembly, then just include the springs which are often on the shelf or faulkner supplied springs.

May be worth a call, find out what rates they'll supply and take from there. No harm in asking...
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 23-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

99 GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
what kit did you go for?

if coilovers, they usually make to order the coilover assembly, then just include the springs which are often on the shelf or faulkner supplied springs.

May be worth a call, find out what rates they'll supply and take from there. No harm in asking...
I plumped for a set of Bilstein B14 PSS' which I think is ripe and ready to go straight on.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
I plumped for a set of Bilstein B14 PSS' which I think is ripe and ready to go straight on.
As far as I have it, they are progressive springs, so the further they press in, the higher the effective spring rate. Best for real road conditions - I think you will be happy with them
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

99 GTV 3.0 V6

Well folks some progress has been made and the rear shocks have been fitted and it now sits sweet as nut! I'll be getting the fronts done as soon as I gave the time off to give my friend a helping hand (Basically showing me what to do ) In the mean time here's a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0541.jpg (93.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0542.jpg (82.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0543.jpg (70.0 KB, 6 views)
AO Silver Member

Garage
That does look Hope it feels right too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , bilsteins , bother , sportwagon , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page