Possible 156 Project - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-12 Thread Starter
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Possible 156 Project

I'm considering my options here. I am after a 156 Sportwagon, and I am thinking of any of the following:

1) Get a GTA - downside is that they are scarce, and any that are on forecourts are deeply suspect. Plus side - it is a GTA, and I really want one.
2) Get a V6 - good sound track, plenty of poke, but high fuel consumption for something not that special. On the plus side, they are dirt cheap.
3) Get a 2.4 diesel, and modify the living snot out of it. Low tax band (good), economical when I am not in a hurry (good), loads of power seems achievable (good), and there are loads of examples out there that have been to the moon and back - so tired mechanicals and decent bodies (good if you want to justify replacing mechanical parts).

If I went down the diesel route, I would be buying a car with 120+ K on the clock, probably an 03/04 plate - so facelift interior, old style body. Outline plan would be to drive it for a while, and start with upgrading/fixing the suspension and brakes. Konis, 30 mm lowering, 305 brakes and GTA uprights, new wishbones, roll bars etc - loads of threads on here with excellent examples!

Once the car was handling and stopping correctly, I'd probably pull out the original engine, and put in something that had been properly rebuilt. No point in modding an old engine. There are the obvious remaps, bigger intercoolers and turbos etc - but what else? Not that keen on going down the methanol route (too much hassle).

Two questions:

1) Is my selection of base car correct? Should I go for a slightly later one that has the 20V MJET? Or is the bog standard 20V JTD just as good for tuning? Or is it all marketing and they are the same? I don't care what the outside of the car looks like, in fact I think the pre-facelift cars look better.

2) I see a lot of comments about diesels eating driveshafts, gearboxes, clutches and DMFs. Is there a solution to this? I'm not that keen on building a monster engine and the rest of it falling apart every 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
buy a V6 sportwagon and ram a 3.0 V6 from a 166 in it, some nice FSDs and a remap and you're close enough to GTA.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Great project.

Dont let people put you off. Its depressing the amount of bog standard Alfa's there are compared to other marques. Even every second fiat coupe has been tuned to hell.

Thats a point, get a cheap ts sportwagon and stick a coupe engine in it as its pretty simple. More power, better handling, better economy and cheap.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
I'm considering my options here. I am after a 156 Sportwagon, and I am thinking of any of the following:

1) Get a GTA - downside is that they are scarce, and any that are on forecourts are deeply suspect. Plus side - it is a GTA, and I really want one.
2) Get a V6 - good sound track, plenty of poke, but high fuel consumption for something not that special. On the plus side, they are dirt cheap.

Questions:
1) Is my selection of base car correct?
The GTA is a great car - but you can get the same or better by modding a 2.5 for less moola.

I started on my 2.5 156 SW and as Artermis said - plonked in a 3.0 - BMC replacement filter and new intake pipe - Freeflow (decatted) Exhaust - Q2 diff - GTA clutch - slotted disc brakes - EBC brake pads - D2 shocks - Eibach Anti Roll bars. The SW is a real sleeper: I get 141kW on the wheels and it handles like it is on rails... And it did not cost me all my limbs...

The soundtrack is AWESOME - I get plenty compliments - But look at Laptop Matt's signature - I'm sure his SW is a FLYER

Go for it

Last edited by Gertie; 10-05-12 at 08:14.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-12 Thread Starter
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Interesting answers. Yes, the idea of making a Franken-GTA is appealing. I am the sort of person who in the old days dreamed of stuffing a quad cam flat 4 from a Sud into a Nissan Cherry Europe.

However, I have re-evaluated my projects. I am now getting a 159 2.4 diesel SW, and in an attempt to make my wife give up her 156 V6, I will modify that to a suitable power output. Not sure what is possible with a modern 2.4 20V, but it should be good. It will need to be good because she spanks the V6 and likes the noise. Once I have her V6 as a daily driver, then the playing can begin!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
the 210bhp 2.4 jtdms can be good for 260ish bhp easy, way outrun a 2.5V6.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
I have just done a similar thing with a sw,but stuck a cf2 in it for the time being until I can get a good 3.0 to put in,then the fun will begin.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , project

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page