semi-slicks and engine (oil starvation) ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 22-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
semi-slicks and engine (oil starvation) ?

So,

If you were to make a car (A V6 Alfa 156) into a track day car, with coilovers, antiroll bars and the lot, and you put semi slicks onto it (like Toyo R888 or Federal RSR 595) tires onto it, would you regret it very fast ?

Should you baffle your sump or otherwise improve it ?
A stronger oil pump perhaps ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

this is very much a question the alfa race boys will need to answer, if you get no joy here, you may do well checking to see if there is a race series for alfas and ask there.

All I can tell you is I run full race slicks with a kv6 engine without any issues on the engine - although fuel starvation can be a problem, but I don't know how the Alfa engine would be

Its always worth taking advice from the race guys when building a track car, things like spring rates, camber fr&rr, toe in or toe out the rear, getting heat in the rear tyres, close ratio gearsets/boxes, lsd, weight loss, aerodynamics etc etc.
Its good to find out where you need to spend your money, what works, whats essential & whats a waste of money. Its always cheaper to learn from someone elses mistakes!

If your putting a roll cage in, I would look at running slicks providing the chassis setup is right - yes you can get away with slicks without a rollcage, but you'll be leaving the track at a much higher speed. Used slicks are very cost effective, depending on the car setup and how you drive, you may waste a set of 600quid semi legal slicks in just one trackday, they will likely only last 3 serious trackdays and be safe to drive home with.

Last edited by jasons; 22-04-12 at 18:30.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 22-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks for the info

I should rephrase, it is to be a PARTIAL track day car. It is still to be used as everyday driver also. So the interior has to stay in.
Maybe removable seats (so they can be swapped for bucket seats) but that is about it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

you need really hard suspension for slicks.

Semi-slicks are not so crucial, but you will need a good firm setup to make best use of the tyres, otherwise you will be rolling around on the edge of the tyres wearing them threadbare in no time at all.

Have you thought about a spare set of wheels to take on a track day/

I have 17's spare from a 147/156 if they are of any use. i need to put them on ebay one day soon.
AO Member

County: Stara Zagora
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannotstop View Post
So,

If you were to make a car (A V6 Alfa 156) into a track day car, with coilovers, antiroll bars and the lot, and you put semi slicks onto it (like Toyo R888 or Federal RSR 595) tires onto it, would you regret it very fast ?
No.....

Quote:
No.....
Quote:
No.....

I driven onto Serres racetrack with full Michelin slick tires 240/61/17, with no oil pump or sump modes, just oil cooler.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmaster View Post
I driven onto Serres racetrack with full Michelin slick tires 240/61/17, with no oil pump or sump modes, just oil cooler.
what width wheels did you use for 240's?
AO Member

County: Stara Zagora
Garage
8J rims......
But if you don't have Q2 or LSD, you can expect sooner or later tire problems as pictured below. And not the flat spot was the cause of it(just heavy braking when slick blows away) - you may see the inner side wear which was the reason of it.
And it's not a good feeling when with 210kmh......

Last edited by Speedmaster; 03-11-13 at 05:01.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 25-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks Speedmaster
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
So,

You wont regret it

You dont need to baffle the sump

Oil pump is fine

Go enjoy
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Just make sure that your oil is on its upper level then you will be fine.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
If you were to make a car (A V6 Alfa 156) into a track day car, with coilovers, antiroll bars and the lot, and you put semi slicks onto it (like Toyo R888 or Federal RSR 595) tires onto it, would you regret it very fast?
I have been track-daying with my 156 3.0 V6 SW and been building it up slowly - 1st off you have to stay safe - thus work the brakes 1st (but don't go overboard). Most important PROPPER brake pads - I have killed a set of Messi brand pads in 1 day (I got desperate while my EBC's were on order). I ran EBC Yellow stuff with good result - I would recommend - I am currently on Endless track/street pads. Then propper brake fluid - I run Endless S-Four

The Brake pad upgrade and Semi-slick tires brought me down from 1:27 Lap time around Zwartkops to 1:22 (where fast full race-trimmed weight-reduced road cars (Trofeo-class) do 1:15)

I installed a Q2 diff and that brought me down to mid 1:20's

I installed D2-racing shocks (firm street spec) and that brought me down to low 1:19's
I have now installed Eibach Anti-Roll-Bars and front strut brace, but have not been around the track yet.

Back to the real question: OIL mods - as said - not needed. I have had a water bottle crack on me at a track day - after letting it cool down I managed to get enough water back in to drive the 6km back home. Over-all the car survives quite OK mechanically - just be sure your fluid levels are fine - regularly (between sessions).

Oh and lastly on tire life - it is not that bad if you don't COMPLETELY abuse them. I get about 8 track days out a set. The biggest tire killer is overheating them - they blister off - DO NOT run too low pressure - I killed a set of front tires at 1.7bar - at 2.4bar the new set survives quite OK.

Last edited by Gertie; 07-05-12 at 08:54.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
engine , oil , semislicks , slicks , starvation , sump , track day

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page