I love my Alfa and want to upgrade but... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
I love my Alfa and want to upgrade but...

Hello all.

Im new to AO and i thought i would share a bit of my Alfa's history before i ask about what to upgrade.

I own an early 2002 156 JTS which has approx 149k on the clock. Bought it around 4 years ago with 115k miles, an ex company execs car. It was in good condition apart from the drivers side skirt wasnt fixed properly at one end, no dents at all thought the alloys were in poor shaped (flaked and kerbed).

I remember when i bought it my mate wanted me to get a mint MG z180 which had only 31k miles and only £200 dearer 51 plate i think. It was the first time i think ive ever noticed a 156 and once i did the MG didnt stand a chance!

Over the years since i have to park in the street, vandals have keyed the wing and rear, kicked (im guessing) my front wheel arches and some kids have walked over the bonnet and roof... Not been very lucky. Anyway i got all of that sorted, had an alfa spoiler put on and the alloys refurbed, new bolts/lockers/badges etc. Bought full leather interior off ebay and had some other cosmetic things done. Its still very much standard minus the orange indicators Since then some idiot looks to have rubbed something abrasive on the bonnet but it will polish out. I was going to do more but disheartened as im worried about more damage.

I want to keep my Alfa, ive always said i would till it explodes (preferably with me not inside) but i would like to give it something extra to put a smile on my face. Its great to drive as is, though the suspension is way too spongy especially at speed on the local A road and doesnt inspire much confidence at all. At one time it scared the crap out of me while i was doing .. erm 70! thats it

I also seem to be suffering the usual low power problems ive read about. On occasion though it will run perfect and is a joy to drive, smooth throttle etc. Most of the time though its ok just not great.

I was thinking of buying a supersprint back box, not for performance but for the look and a better exhaust sound. I thought about a remap too but from what ive been reading its best to leave that till after you have finalised your upgrades. I dont have a lot of money, can put away £3-400 a month sometimes and i will have £900 or so saved at the end of this month.

Im stuck on what to do. My friends say im mad as i spent way too much on the car. Id never get it back if i sold it. I thought about saving and getting a newer Alfa but i love my 156 and the 2.0 is an ideal size for insurance etc (compared to 2.5 or higher) and while thirsty, not too bad.

Sorry for the long post! I know i must get the suspension sorted at some point but id like to get a bit more go. Not interested in top end power much just acceleration. Any not too expensive ideas?

Hope you can help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Here is a piccy of my Alfa
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Well, first of all let me apologise for not offering any advice whatsoever...!

All I wanted to say is good for you for sticking with it despite all the setbacks and kn**heads doing their best to ruin things for you.

And it certainly is a thing of beauty - looks fabulous, well done!
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thats ok and thanks for the comment about the car

I couldnt get any of it done while i wasnt single hehe and i remember telling the guy at the garage about all the work i wanted done. He said wont the missus get mad? i said im single at the moment and i will sort the car then think about a girlfriend. He said spoken like a true Alfa owner

I cant think about selling it, full history plus all the work ive had done. Last MoT passed without any advisories at all! First for me on any car Even when it isnt running perfect i still love driving it and when ive had new rentals while work was being done, as nice as they were i couldnt wait to get mine back.

Seen your pics of your written off 159... ouch! I wont ask how that happened.

Cheers mate
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard156JTS View Post

Seen your pics of your written off 159... ouch! I wont ask how that happened.

Cheers mate
Voice from the back seat... "Anyone want some mini cheddars"..."Yes please...." bang!!!!!

I had to hide the pile of mini cheddars in the footwell under the mat, in case the police looked inside and put 2 and 2 together!! haha

Cheers
Jules
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperooney View Post
Voice from the back seat... "Anyone want some mini cheddars"..."Yes please...." bang!!!!!

I had to hide the pile of mini cheddars in the footwell under the mat, in case the police looked inside and put 2 and 2 together!! haha

Cheers
Jules
Probably a good idea. Would have looked amusing on an accident report though hehe! Still ouch was a lovely motor!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sorry guys for being a bit vague, so here is a list of things im considering. Just want to know what you think and maybe what to get first etc as im on a tight budget.

Eibach ProSystem syspension kit : Around £455 excl shipping. Car flew through MoT so im guessing all the current suspension and bits are in good nick. General handling at speed is not very inspiring to say the least!

Air filter/induction kit : Never had one and though ive heard some good things about them my old garage (not the one i use now - since i got ripped off before) said the increase in performance wasnt worth it considering the extra wear on the engine. Mine has done 149k so i am a bit wary.

Performance back box: Love the oval Supersprint though a bit pricey. Purely for cosmetic/better sound. Undecided as i would have to inform insurance company. Will phone up and check as ive always been legal.

Remap: Was thinking of an Autodelta map even though it will be a long trip to get it done and its very expensive. Petrol remaps dont seem to have a great deal of improvement so if anyone has had a 2.0 JTS remap please let me know how it went! Not worth doing anyway till im happy with other improvements.

Brakes: Thinking of Brembo max discs and better quality pads and braided hoses.

I know this car will never be very quick but i just want to make it more fun and safer. As much as i would love one i dont think i could afford and maintain a 2.5 v6 or larger.

Any suggestions welcome and cheers!

Edit: Also looking for black leather door cards (for full electric windows) 02 model upwards that would fit. The set i currently have i got from ebay were from a 2001 model and the plastic pattern is a different color and a more worn looking pattern, whereas my dash and old cards have a very rough feeling/looking surface.

Last edited by Richard156JTS; 13-04-12 at 09:42.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
alfa , love , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page