Twinspark-2.0TB Qs and As and more - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 28-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: New Jersey
Hmmm Twinspark-2.0TB Qs and As and more

Well I have for awhile now a Rosso Red 1989 Alfa 164 Twin Spark.

It the phase 1 of the twinspark motor and I do like it, but, like anyone I am looking for more power.

Here in Hungary the 2.0 TB motors are easy to find, I have a mate with a 2.0TB motor ready for my car which leads me to questions.

I have read searching around that a motor conversion is a wiring nightmare. How so? What would be needed to get this motor in my car besides the engine and trans plus engine wiring harness and ecu.

Also the car is a 4x98 as the brakes are indeed smaller. With this being said I would like to upgrade to the 5x98 brakes, how involved is this too?

For the record I DO NOT want to just sell the car and get a V6 as the red I have is about rare and I had the car long enough that it is family at this point

I would like to upgrade to a 24v (from a 166 or GTV) or a 3.2 but I know these now have drive by wire. Would I be able to just swap in the pedal box and parts out of a 166 and go? Parts for the 24v 164 motor are getting scarce and tensioners for the 164 24v are nla and these motor are the black sheep of the 24v world but if I can get one in my car would i be able just to swap bottom ends with a newer 24v or the complete motor and run it on the old 24v motronic with the afm. If so I would have no problem getting a 3.2 and running it on the old motronic and chipping the ecu to cope with the new displacement.

Also I know the italian market also got a 2.0 turbo (not the v6 but a motor similar to the fiat chroma? and the lancia thema). This motor was introduce very early in the 164 life and was later replaced with the 2.0 v6. with this being said is it also possible to swap a thema, fiat turbo 2.0 in the 164.

Sorry for the question but its time to breath new life in my old lil buddy here

Cheers guys from Hungary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 29-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Anyone got any advice or anything?
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Isn't the 2L TB a V6 motor?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Isn't the 2L TB a V6 motor?
Depends which car & year you are talking about.
The 166 & GTV/Spider only had the v6 Turbo.
Late 164 also had the v6 Turbo, but earlier 164 had a 4-cyl turbo (not the same as the Fiat Coupe etc engine and no relation to the 75 Turbo engine either.).
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I don't know much about the 164, do like them though
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Depends which car & year you are talking about.
The 166 & GTV/Spider only had the v6 Turbo.
Late 164 also had the v6 Turbo, but earlier 164 had a 4-cyl turbo (not the same as the Fiat Coupe etc engine and no relation to the 75 Turbo engine either.).
Correct, the early 2.0tb motor was actually more similar to the 8v Dedra motor and Thema motor before they went over to the similar 16v turbo motor of the Delta, 155Q4, Dedra, Coupe, Thema, etc, etc.

I assume these motors could replace the T/S with ease as I have an early 164 T/S (1989). Would indeed like a 2.0TB V6 to be in place of the current motor or a 3.2 GTA. The motors physically fit, but, the problem I am trying to clear up before starting the swap is what would be the lesser of a hassle in the end electronics wise? The 2.0 8v turbo motrors of the 2.0V6 motor. I know the GTA motor would be the hardest because of the drive by wire but wouldnt only the engine wiring need to be changed and a pedal box.

Also would it be a big leap of a guess to say you can run the 3.2 on the 164 24v motronic and just reflash the ecu?

How hard of a process would this be into a 1989 early 164l T/S?
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Use the GTA engine without the drive by wire setup. Been done

I have the 16v turbo lump that's used int he delta in mine, really easy to install including the wiring.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 16-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Use the GTA engine without the drive by wire setup. Been done

I have the 16v turbo lump that's used int he delta in mine, really easy to install including the wiring.
Was thinking about this setup, GTA motor with the 164 24v wiring with just a chip or reflashed ECU or MAS conversion.

You have done the 16VT motor conversion into a 164?
How in dept was the motor conversion and wiring? Motor work is my strength but I am not the best at wiring so this will be my shortcoming.

Was mounting the motor ( motor mounts) a difficult task?

Sorry for all the questions but this again has always been an option I though of besides going with V6 as it would keep a generous amount of weight off the front wheels.

Have all the suspesion parts from a 164 2.0 TB at the current moment so this will all be making its way on the car.
AO Platinum Member

Slightly off-topic, but it will make it easier for people to make recommendations if you change your location to "Hungary" instead of "United States".
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 23-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Changes that right now actually
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Management will always be a problem unless you stay with a TS.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
twinspark20tb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page