156 V6 best sounding intake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 24-03-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

AR156 V6

156 V6 best sounding intake

Heya, planing to change the intake on my 156, tho going to get a used one.
any idea what diameter it should be?
Very tempted by BMC ones...
for example- would this fit? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en
Cheers!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 25-03-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

anyone?
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

a lot of people use the CDA. make sure that one is the right one for your engine though, as a smaller diameter one will not do you any favours. that's a bargain if it's the correct one.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 25-03-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

yeh, but any ideas what diameter it should be?
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

the same diameter as your standard box....or look on the bmc website to find the correct sizes for yours.
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 25-03-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

doesnt show anything.. anyone already fitted one and could help me out maybe?
Alexandrus

County: Devon

Member car:

166 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziraphale View Post
the same diameter as your standard box....or look on the bmc website to find the correct sizes for yours.
That sounds awesome, like it very much indeedy
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

103 should be the intake hole... so minimum i need to search for is a 100mm?
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

Apiro TORQUE Twin Cone Cotton Air Filter - RED - Regals Motorsport Ltd got this, sounds lovely from outside , quite happy with it (was thinking of going for pipercross or something, but took the recommendation from a forum member)
Only problem i have now, i dont know if its just me, but the car feels slower from 4.5rpm, maybe it needs a ecu reset???(how to reset ecu??)
Cheers for advice
Grahameo

It will be running lean for a short while until it re-learns the new parameters, imagine an asthmatic being given new lungs and asked to do a 400m sprint... thats what your engine is going through at the moment....
You can help it along a bit better so it learns quicker by doing a soft ECU reset:

Disconnect the battery, both terminals and touch them together. Wait about 45 minutes for any charge in the ECU and loom to dissipate.
Reconnect.
Turn ignition on and leave it for 90 seconds
turn ignition off but keep key in for 90 seconds
turn ignition back on for 90 seconds (this is known as a throttle position reset)
Now....
Start the engine from the last part of ignition on right away and don't touch the throttle pedal
Let it idle for 15 minutes...
Now take it out for a spirited drive for 20 minutes using all different rev ranges and slow/ medium cruise speeds and full throttle...
Go home and turn off, job done.

Try cleaning your MAF before doing a reset.
Here is how to:

Stuff that you need to arm yourself with is:

Isopropyl alcohol spray (maplins) for cleaning the Maf sensor wires, DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRES AND RESISTOR, JUST SPRAY AND LET IT EVAPORATE good stuff, not as harsh as Carb cleaner and WILL NOT damage the wires, it WILL remove all the contamination.
Cotton buds (raid the wife's make up kit... I did)
To remove the 5 pointed security screws on the MAF you can use a pair of long nosed pliers on the outer edge of the screw head. A bit of a chew on but will come out,they aren't in too tight. Once you have removed them, get replacement standard cross point screws from B&Q etc... Take the security screw for comparison of thread and length and speak to one of the wise jedi- like pensioners who work at B&Q, they will sort you out mate.

Glass cleaner (raid the wife's cleaning cupboard..... I did) for the angled mirror inside the MAF sensor

Now you are armed with the essential MAF and total induction cleaning kit (will last years BTW) you can tackle the job, no more than an hour total

How to:
Easy as pie : http://www.alfa156.net/fr_index.html?/tech/MAFguide/
Written by Jeff Porter no less and a God when it comes to technical know how and saving money on buying MAF's when they aren't needed

When you put it all back together, dont forget to rub a little bit of silicon spray on the rubber sealing ring with your finger on the MAF to make sure it gets an air tight seal and use the isopropyl alcohol to clean the electrical contacts on the MAF (once refitted in) and on its multiplug to ensure a good electrical contact.
Get stuck? give me a holla and I will try and help as best I can mate ok

Induction hose splits:
Remove the rubber induction hose and inspect for slight splits.
Use three rubber inspection gloves and elastic bands to seal up the openings and dunk it in a bowl of water to check for any slight leaks in the rubber, air bubbles!... Just like you would do with an inner tube

If you find any, use the glue (vulcanising fluid ) from a cheap bicycle repair kit and rub it into the splits and hold together for a few minutes... It will end up stronger than it was before as it "welds" rubber together
Last thing...

Clean the throttle body butterfly valve with carburettor cleaner spray while you have the induction tube off... Do not touch the butterfly
Turn ignition on and get a helper to press and release the throttle pedal to partially open and close the butterfly while you spray the cleaner in... Don't go silly or you will flood the tops of the inlet valves and it will backfire when started up... As Del boy says (a little dab will do ya!)
Now while your helper holds the pedal down, very carefully use a clean rag and gently rub the excess dirt and grime away from the edges of the outer ring that the butter sits against when closed... If you can't get a rag in, then use cotton buds soaked in the cleaner but be careful not to drop them in the throttle body! (Remember: Do not touch the butterfly itself, no matter how tempting it is)!
You have now given your induction system a thorough going over and wont have issues with it in the near future... Repeat every year!

Last edited by Grahameo; 02-04-12 at 14:49.

(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 02-04-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

Grahameo- you are a legend mate....never seen someone on soooooo helpfull, if i get to meet you on some meet - beers on me
ive done most of those...
soft ECU reset: will do tomorrow
Induction hose splits: it should have some im sure, cause it has some duct tape on the bend near the throttle body... 2 questions for that- do we need the 2 resonator things on it?would the car sound louder without them?
and is there a replacement metal hose i could get? my friends honda prelude sounds alot louder from the intake,want to make mine as loud as possible on engine and induction, but smart on the exhaust...
Clean the throttle body butterfly valve : i did this, tho i did open the butterfly with my fingers, didnt know its not allowed ..uups
Here is a little sample of my rocket Alfa 156 V6,BMW E46, Prelude,BMW E36 - YouTube

Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5
Grahameo

You are welcome mate..

no doubt which car sounds the nicest

Do the throttle reset part with the ecu reset and it should be ok

Yes you can replace the resonator pipe on the rubber section, it will make it very slightly louder but deeper in note, throttle response will improve too.. I have been informed by a local tuner's (TurboPacs) that something like this can gain up to 5-7 extra horses
You need a 76mm kit, either alloy, silicon hose or a combination of both...
Funny enough I am building a couple of kits over the next weekend for my V6 and my father in law's V6
This kit is ideal as I can make two of them from one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-TURBO-IN...item2c643edc89

I'll be doing a tutorial with pics if anyone is interested

(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

aaa mate, that is lovely, idd like to do one too, just black and chrome pipe....... would look nice , and sound amazing at the same time
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 03-04-12 Thread Starter
Nio
AO Member

Member car:

AR156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post

Disconnect the battery, both terminals and touch them together. Wait about 45 minutes for any charge in the ECU and loom to dissipate.
Reconnect.
Turn ignition on and leave it for 90 seconds
turn ignition off but keep key in for 90 seconds
turn ignition back on for 90 seconds (this is known as a throttle position reset)
Now....
Start the engine from the last part of ignition on right away and don't touch the throttle pedal
Let it idle for 15 minutes...
Now take it out for a spirited drive for 20 minutes using all different rev ranges and slow/ medium cruise speeds and full throttle...
Go home and turn off, job done.

DID THE TRICK!!! amazing.... thank you mate, goes sweet all the way up to 7k now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , intake , sounding

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page