DIY remapping - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 18-03-12 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

DIY remapping

Before I start reinventing the wheel, has anyone already covered ground with remapping Alfa ECU's , in particular for the 159 1.9 16v JTDm ?

Does anyone have the addresses of essential registers, such as torque limit, EGR switch, etc ?

I intend to share whatever I do, any startng point will be appreciated

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
There are ALOT of posts about remapping and other things on this section. Just use the search button and put the 159 remmaping in it, I'm sure you will find something.
(Post Link) post #3 of 37 Old 18-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks, i'ld already found a few links, but they mostly refer to people taking their car to Red Dot, or Angel.

I am more interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the next step on their own andbought a remapping interface and downloaded their car's ECU map and modified it at home.

There's little reason not to try, especially if you have a spare ECU to practice on.
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
Try to search harder. Plenty of threads here ...
(Post Link) post #5 of 37 Old 18-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

I've just joined ECU connections, but thanks. I tried searching here but only get bits and pieces, not many write-ups, but that's not a criticism
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Please let me know what you find i am also interested and can not find real helpful information.
(Post Link) post #7 of 37 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

So far, I've bought MPPS programmer for £40 and downloaded my engine map using Tuner Pro (free software)
I need a DAMOS file really, which adds understandable descriptions to the memory locations so you can see what you are adjusting using English language terms. Without the DAMOS file it is still possible to read and adjust the maps, you just need to index them via their hexadecimal address.

ECUConnections.com has quite a few good threads about the EDC16C8 ECU in my 1.9 150CV and they give a lot of addresses for map locations there.

If anyone here has a map I could use for reference (to compare their mods with ones I would like to make) I would of course be eternally grateful

In the meantime I am sorely tempted to buy a secondhand ECU for making mods on, and keep my original as a good backup, just in case. I have programmed a variety of stuff in the past and know that there is always a chance that if the loading sequence is interrupted, such as the laptop battery dying halfway through, it is hit and miss that you can recover the unit.

All being well I will have a good ECU, remapped, to sell on again.

If yoiu are looking for an original ECU map file let me know I will email it to you so you can play with some of the free software in safety, try before you buy :0). I would upload it but it isn't a file which is allowed on the server (.zip extension)

Chris
AO Member

County: South Australia

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Subscribed.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

many

I am sure Phil from MPPS will be glad that you bought a pirate copy of his tool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
So far, I've bought MPPS programmer for £40 and downloaded my engine map using Tuner Pro (free software)
I need a DAMOS file really, which adds understandable descriptions to the memory locations so you can see what you are adjusting using English language terms. Without the DAMOS file it is still possible to read and adjust the maps, you just need to index them via their hexadecimal address.

ECUConnections.com has quite a few good threads about the EDC16C8 ECU in my 1.9 150CV and they give a lot of addresses for map locations there.

If anyone here has a map I could use for reference (to compare their mods with ones I would like to make) I would of course be eternally grateful

In the meantime I am sorely tempted to buy a secondhand ECU for making mods on, and keep my original as a good backup, just in case. I have programmed a variety of stuff in the past and know that there is always a chance that if the loading sequence is interrupted, such as the laptop battery dying halfway through, it is hit and miss that you can recover the unit.

All being well I will have a good ECU, remapped, to sell on again.

If yoiu are looking for an original ECU map file let me know I will email it to you so you can play with some of the free software in safety, try before you buy :0). I would upload it but it isn't a file which is allowed on the server (.zip extension)

Chris
AO Silver Member

Garage
May be should Phill offer some lite version for home user.
AO Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD

Isn't your ecu EDC16C39 and not C8?
(Post Link) post #12 of 37 Old 05-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
I am sure Phil from MPPS will be glad that you bought a pirate copy of his tool .
I'm not sure what you're trying to say ?
I haven't yet looked inside the MPPS, but if it is like 99% of all other car interface units it will be based on the chip manufacturers datasheet designs, possibly with a microcontroller interpretting data, possibly not.
About the only custom thing which it could have in it would be the software on the micro (if present), and maybe Phil has let that out of his control by not setting code protection when programming his own product.

The specifications for the protocols used are public knowledge, the hardware designs are public knowledge and the connectors are already made and the wiring standards are also public.

If anything, I congratulate Phil for a keen bit of marketing and would support his continued efforts with any future products !

EDIT - I just opened up my 'clone' The main chip is an SJA1000T by Philips (NXP) it is an off the shelf CAN controller, selling for about £3 at RS.

Multi protocoal proramming system, MPPS, is a generic term used in the electronics biz, and not a company name. 'Multi Protocol' is an industry term 'Programming System' says what it is integrated into.

is 'Phil from MPPS' short for Philips, the poeple who made the chip that does the hard work ?
http://www.zlgmcu.com/philips/can/sj...gzhinan_en.pdf

Last edited by FixitSan; 05-04-12 at 13:44.
(Post Link) post #13 of 37 Old 05-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by exar1711 View Post
Isn't your ecu EDC16C39 and not C8?
I believe it is now.
FiatECUscan tool reports it as an EDC16C8, but AlfaOBD identifies it as EDC16C39 CF4, it makes more sense that it is a C39. I suppose I just need to look up the numbers with Bosch to be certain, but I think I was led astray by FES

Now, there are a lot of other cars using the EDC16C39 and I've noticed that the Opel Astra version of the EDC16C39 sells for significantly less than the Alfa version.

As I want to create a clone of my existing ECU to do development with I am just trying to find out if one EDC16C39 is the same as any other EDC16C39. I'll just need to reprogram the eeprom with the Immobiliser number, but that trivial.

If I can get a working ECU for £50 instead of £200 (average ebay prices) I'll be happy

All help and insights gratefully appreciated

Chris
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Buy the Opel one, its the same engine.
(Post Link) post #15 of 37 Old 06-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks, I was just going to take a punt anyway but wasn't sure.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for one now.

(Post Link) post #16 of 37 Old 06-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

If anyone is interested, this is a list of a lot of ECU models fitted to many vehicles, including vans.
http://www.tunecanada.com/bin/cmd-amd.txt
The EDC16C39 is fitted to Kia's and Daewoo's, which tend to sell for less on the bay
AO Silver Member

I would be very careful with that info.

Are you sure the ECUs are pin-to-pin compatible? Hardware codes of those ECUs are different, you cant be sure the ECUs are compatible...

BTW, I still dont see a reason why are you trying to make a copy of your ECU? Do you really think this is necessary? IMO it is a waste of time and money. If you are worried about something going wrong wile flashing, buy a BDM and you will be able to rebuild it if anything goes wrong...
AlfaRomeoPortal likes this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 37 Old 06-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
I would be very careful with that info.

Are you sure the ECUs are pin-to-pin compatible? Hardware codes of those ECUs are different, you cant be sure the ECUs are compatible...

BTW, I still dont see a reason why are you trying to make a copy of your ECU? Do you really think this is necessary? IMO it is a waste of time and money. If you are worried about something going wrong wile flashing, buy a BDM and you will be able to rebuild it if anything goes wrong...
Yes they're pin compatible. All EDC16C39's share the same pinout. I have a datasheet from Bosch somewhere.

The reason I want to clone one is I must be able to drive the car every day for work. I'm a service engineer often on emergency callout rota's, so if I can't get my car going within half an hour I'm stuffed
Best thing for me is to muck about with a cloned ECU and keep the original in the boot, just in case. An ECU change takes just a couple of minutes.

Some guys running track day cars use cloned ECU's, one for the track and one for the road, it's a more reliable solution to reprogramming at the track and quicker to swap over too.

Chris
AO Member

Member car:

gtv/147

ive got a file here for a 1.9 jtd which has been used lots of times with good results i also have saab and vauxhall maps if you want to compare
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I thought all the maps where the same, regardless of which manufacturer used the engine ?
AO Member

Member car:

gtv/147

they are the same in base form but use different ecu numbers
(Post Link) post #22 of 37 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
I thought all the maps where the same, regardless of which manufacturer used the engine ?
I think for one ECU to be a drop in replacement for another then parameters which relate to things like MAF output voltage, DPF sensor output and so on need to be identical, in other words the engines must have exactly the same sensors across the range of manufacturers.
I am not sure that they do and if they don't then the maps will need to be different to compensate for the different characteristics of different sensors.
AlfaRomeoPortal likes this.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Each sensor has kind of description maps in the ECU - voltage linearisation map, lower/upper limits, range, slope, default value, id and CHANNEL.

Last edited by yan.ko; 07-04-12 at 17:21.
(Post Link) post #24 of 37 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

I'm going to get a collection of maps together, Alfa, Vauxhall and Saab, i think the general opinion is the sensors could all be the same type, which would make things easier.

Just to say too, please don't anyone hold their breath, i'm really busy but this is close to the top of my list of things to do.

Chris
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitSan View Post
I think for one ECU to be a drop in replacement for another then parameters which relate to things like MAF output voltage, DPF sensor output and so on need to be identical, in other words the engines must have exactly the same sensors across the range of manufacturers.
I am not sure that they do and if they don't then the maps will need to be different to compensate for the different characteristics of different sensors.
They are exactly the same engines, made in the same factory, the only differences are the engine cover and the ecu maps on the 170 single turbo and 190 twin turbo-these where only available on Fiat Group cars, GM only had 150 single turbos and 180 twin turbos.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
diy , remapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page