Alfa 159 2.4 JDTM Decat Query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 08-03-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Alfa 159 2.4 JDTM Decat Query

I have a 2.4 JDTM with the F1 map / DPF delete already. My query is to those out there with a decat pipe fitted does this mod make a noticeable difference?

I'm considering investing in the AlfaTune decat pipe for mine following Clogz thread but want to assure myself that the decat pipe mod will offer me a noticeable improvement. I.e. what bang will I get for my buck and is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
chris, i think you will have to phone gus up as i too wanted this mod, but no one on the forum will quote me a price and tbh i probally havent got the money just yet? saving money for front splitter. lol

so not sure what bang you will get for your buck
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 08-03-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

The issue isn't the price as I've already spoken to Gus and happy with that.

What I'm after is feedback from others who've done this mod on what it gives as an end product.
AO Silver Member

ok, i had asked this question already but couldnt find anyone who had it done on a 2.4 159, only brera owners

how much did gus quote then as a rough guide please?
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisyounguk View Post
I have a 2.4 JDTM with the F1 map / DPF delete already. My query is to those out there with a decat pipe fitted does this mod make a noticeable difference?

I'm considering investing in the AlfaTune decat pipe for mine following Clogz thread but want to assure myself that the decat pipe mod will offer me a noticeable improvement. I.e. what bang will I get for my buck and is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance

Chris
I'm very happy with the decat pipe results. In combination with the stainless straight through AlfaTune exhaust it free's up the engine further still. The turbo spools up quicker as well so power comes in quicker whilst remaining smooth. In combination with the F1 map the engine runs really, really well!

The AlfaTune decat pipe is made of stainless steel so it won't go rusty. I took the pipe of last week whilst doing some other work and it was still in perfect condition!
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 09-03-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
I'm very happy with the decat pipe results. In combination with the stainless straight through AlfaTune exhaust it free's up the engine further still. The turbo spools up quicker as well so power comes in quicker whilst remaining smooth. In combination with the F1 map the engine runs really, really well!

The AlfaTune decat pipe is made of stainless steel so it won't go rusty. I took the pipe of last week whilst doing some other work and it was still in perfect condition!
Thanks Clogz, I've made my mind up to go with this mod and will feedback on the results of just the decat install without the full straight through exhaust set up.

At the least I'll be able to sell on the decat pipe when I come to sell the car...
(Post Link) post #7 of 24 Old 09-03-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Update part ordered from Gus at AlfaTune seems a really nice guy.

Will feedback when fitted...
Club Member
Membro Medio

Good stuff Chris - I'm sure you'll be happy with the results on your (already fast) car.

Yeah, Gus is a top bloke. He really knows what he's talking about!

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Chris, how did this go?
Did you get it done?
AO Silver Member

yeah, and how much bhp increase would we see from the decat pipe and staright through system? clogz do you have any figures?
Club Member
Membro Medio

The Alfatune decat and straight through system won't give lots of BHP at the top end power. What it will do is give noticeable better turbo spool up and a freer revving engine. I'm not sure how much extra power I got in the end due to a few different issues. Once they were fixed I had it dyno'd at WGT in January and the car scored 284bhp with 485ftlbs despite some heat problems. i think it would have done more. I'll be doing a writeup on my thread when I get my current modding obsession back under control....
(Post Link) post #12 of 24 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg170775 View Post
Chris, how did this go?
Did you get it done?
Still not got it fitted, as my car needs cambelt change etc soon it makes sense for me to wait and get all this work done at once. Pencilled it in for 3weeks time.

TBC
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Still not got it fitted, as my car needs cambelt change etc soon it makes sense for me to wait and get all this work done at once. Pencilled it in for 3weeks time.

TBC
Hey, NJS has told me too that my cambelt will also be due now. I've clocked only 48K miles, and the cars manufactured Sep07, so will be 5 year old Sep this year.

So, should I be going for cambelt change now, or can I wait sometime longer?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Why wait and risk it. Get the cambelt and water pump done sooner rather than later
(Post Link) post #15 of 24 Old 19-05-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Right had my decat pipe fitted now, it's been a nightmare few weeks for me.

I waited until my car was going in for a cambelt change and a leaking injector fixed to have the decat pipe fitted.

Whilst in for the work I had all the injectors sent off for checking and sure enough a faulty injector was diagnosed. They also found my turbo hose had a slight split in it which will explain the excessive black smoke emissions on full load.

Car all fixed decat pipe fitted and taken round the block to test it all and BANG bloody turbo explodes literally taking turbo hose with it too.

I started to panic thinking the decat pipe had killed the turbo but after a lengthy discussion with the experts at Turbo Dynamics they reassured me this wasn't the case.

Turbo was carefully examined post mortem style, and the fault traced back to a sticking variable vane actuator switch. Carbon deposits on the actuator made the movement very stiff with the turbo finally getting stuck in the high speed setting causing the turbo to spin that fast it exploded.

So after new brand new turbo, two turbo hoses, injector and full cambelt change later (ouch !!!) I finally got the car back.

So does the decat pipe make a difference? Well there is no real noticeable top end power gains but it does improve the driveability, in that the turbo spools up a lot quicker which means the turbo comes In quicker and earlier. The guys from Turbo Dynamics also confirmed the decat mod was a good addition to the car set up.

I took her for a good blast today on the fantastic winding A442 roads between Kidderminster, Bridgnorth and Telford and the decat pipe was thoroughly tested, so was the handling

I'm so pleased with the end result, this car blooming flies now with power on tap. The real gains are in the ability to quickly overtake on the limited overtaking sections available.

Would I recommend it? YES but don't expect massive BHP gains.

Back in the fold !
AO Silver Member

wow a6.. sounds like an expensive time. how much was the turbo?

have you fitted the stainless steel exhaust by gus as well or just the decat pipe?
(Post Link) post #17 of 24 Old 20-05-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverleaf159 View Post
wow a6.. sounds like an expensive time. how much was the turbo?

have you fitted the stainless steel exhaust by gus as well or just the decat pipe?
I shopped around a bit and bought it for Turbo Dynamics for £640 delivered.

I've not fitted the exhaust as I like the OEM twin exit set up and don't want to make the London taxi sound any louder!!!

With the DPF and cat removed you can really hear the turbo whistle now
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
How much was the pipe in the end mate? I am planning a full straight through stainless setup and would do the cat as part of that mod, so interested what my total spend is likely to be (so I can start saving!!)
(Post Link) post #19 of 24 Old 20-05-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Decat was £194
Unregistered

County: Midlands

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

Is it any more smokey what does the cat do will it pass an mot etc ?
(Post Link) post #21 of 24 Old 21-05-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

No more smoke than normal and won't affect MOT as it does not affect the soot emissions.

You do get a slightly more metallic sound note to the exhaust, sounds nice under load sort of part way to the noise of the full stainless back box set up but not louder.

Having tested this more you can really notice the low down pick us better in that the it accelerates harder from lower in the revs. Which has got to be the result of the turbo spooling up quicker.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
No more smoke than normal and won't affect MOT as it does not affect the soot emissions.

You do get a slightly more metallic sound note to the exhaust, sounds nice under load sort of part way to the noise of the full stainless back box set up but not louder.

Having tested this more you can really notice the low down pick us better in that the it accelerates harder from lower in the revs. Which has got to be the result of the turbo spooling up quicker.
That's what I found after I fitted my Alfatune decat pipe. Turbo pickup is quicker and power comes in earlier. I noticed that on my dynographs the max torque comes in earlier which I put down to the decat and the Alfatune straight-through exhaust.
(Post Link) post #23 of 24 Old 24-05-12 Thread Starter
A6
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz View Post
That's what I found after I fitted my Alfatune decat pipe. Turbo pickup is quicker and power comes in earlier. I noticed that on my dynographs the max torque comes in earlier which I put down to the decat and the Alfatune straight-through exhaust.
Clogz did you have the decat and backbox fitted at the same time or did you run decat on its own for a while. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the gains on the back boxes too. Trying to convince myself I don't want them which is why I've banned myself from reading your Clogz works thread to save me money !
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Clogz did you have the decat and backbox fitted at the same time or did you run decat on its own for a while. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the gains on the back boxes too. Trying to convince myself I don't want them which is why I've banned myself from reading your Clogz works thread to save me money !

Oh boy - you better really(!) ban yourself from my Skunk works thread as I'll be updating my thread with a fair few mods - been a busy boy over the last few months!

As for the Alfatune straight through stainless exhaust: I fitted the exhaust first as the decat-pipe was still being made. As for the exhaust with regards to power, it's a bit like the decat pipe itself. I don't think there's any major top-end power gains but the turbo-spool up is a bit better and power comes in a bit earlier. As they say: every little bit helps...
In addition, a much nicer sound and no more rust...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , alfa , decat , jdtm , query

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page