159 1.9 JTDm Sunnyside, Romford. Re-map experience. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm Sunnyside, Romford. Re-map experience.

I have just had my 159 re-mapped at Sunnyside in Romford:
Alfa Fiat Service :: Sunnyside Garage :: Alfa Romeo Servicing - New, Old and Restoration for London and Essex

I had been having poor performance from the 159 over the past 3-4 weeks which resulted in me trying BG 244 diesel additive, removing the EGR and cleaning it but ultimately getting nowhere and eventually getting the 'have engine checked' alert and 'limp home mode' enforced. The errors were both DPF and EGR related when plugging into the diagnostic device.

Fortunately the DPF removal and re-map have cured these faults and the 159 is a completely different car to drive! More responsive in lower gears, more torque and better MPG are the main items I've noticed over the past 200 miles since the upgrade.

I'll keep updating this post as I drive through the miles with regards to economy and anything else I notice.

So far so good though... and a big thanks to the Gents at Sunnyside, particularly Vic who performed the work and turned the car around in the same day. At this stage (admittedly only 200 miles in) I would recommend this upgrade to anyone who is thinking about having it done. By my experience thus far, it's worth the expense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
bourne.. who are the guys at sunnyside? i used to go there in the late 80,s and early 90,s when i live in croydon. Cant remember the owners name?
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 17-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Felice and Vic are the guy's I have dealt with, I believe Felice is the owner.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Sunnyside use Alfatune re-maps, Vic did my 20v. However mine wasn't turned round in a day, more like 3, because the ECU had to be sent to Gus for him to correct the complete and utter balls-up that the previous re-mapper had performed! The guys sorted out the problem; and I kept their 166 loaner over the weekend.

All was well in the end and she goes like never before, problem is the fuel consumption, whilst excellent on a run suffers when the road gets twisty. I wonder why???

Just soooo good to drive now.

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon

2011 Ghiaccio Bianco 159 2.0 ltr JTDm Lusso SportWagon
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX1C View Post
Sunnyside use Alfatune re-maps, Vic did my 20v. However mine wasn't turned round in a day, more like 3, because the ECU had to be sent to Gus for him to correct the complete and utter balls-up that the previous re-mapper had performed! The guys sorted out the problem; and I kept their 166 loaner over the weekend.

All was well in the end and she goes like never before, problem is the fuel consumption, whilst excellent on a run suffers when the road gets twisty. I wonder why???

Just soooo good to drive now.
Hi there; just tried one of these plug and play "generic" tuning chips from a company called TDI Tuning; was just curious to see the performance improvements. Have to say it was phenominal, however I do wonder what the long term implications are from the increased stresses etc.

Seemed to be a couple of flat spots on the torque curve but MPG was 51.2 after about 600 miles, quoted figures of 355ft lbs and 216bhp?? not sure!! I have taken the chip off for now however my question to you is regarding the re-map, costs? results etc?? I wonder what the safe limits are for the 20v m-jet??

cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by geffyb View Post
Hi there; just tried one of these plug and play "generic" tuning chips from a company called TDI Tuning; was just curious to see the performance improvements. Have to say it was phenominal, however I do wonder what the long term implications are from the increased stresses etc.

Seemed to be a couple of flat spots on the torque curve but MPG was 51.2 after about 600 miles, quoted figures of 355ft lbs and 216bhp?? not sure!! I have taken the chip off for now however my question to you is regarding the re-map, costs? results etc?? I wonder what the safe limits are for the 20v m-jet??

cheers
I don't know the BHP / Torque figures and to be honest I don't care. For a re-map to be effective the car has to be smooth to drive, and not have torque that peaks quickly; that destroys drive shafts and transmissions. The map that was on the car was just like that; savage or what! She is really smooth now and that counts more with me. It was originally 331 ft/lb and 187 bhp but it feels way better than that now, she used to struggle at anything over 3500 rpm under load, as boost was apparently high at low revs and reduced at high revs Gus thought that odd - to say the least

Was 51.2 mpg actual or from the Info Centre?
AO Member

Garage
51.2 was from the info centre!

Now i have taken the chip off it feels better with the original programme; torque comes in early and is smoother, although there is a big difference in high end power. I will think about the re-map though; thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , experience , jtdm , remap , romford , sunnyside

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page