Uprated Pistons and Rods for 1.9 CDTi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Durham
Uprated Pistons and Rods for 1.9 CDTi

Is anyone aware of the power level that you can take the standard rods and pistons to with the 1.9 Fiat Turbo Diesel Engine. In the Vauxhall/Opel it is referred to as 1.9 DTH CDTi?
I am exceeding 270 bhp and 424 ft.lbs and I would rather replace pistons and rods if they are available than destroy my engine.
Who manufacturers upgraded pistons and rods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I am unsure if you can get them off the shelf, but you can contact companies with your requirements and have them made if you wish.

Con Rods
Cunningham Connecting Rods

Pistons
JE Pistons Manufactures Quality Forged Pistons for the Domestic Automotive, Sport Compact, Powersports and Racing Markets

Both these companies would make you forged versions of your current equipment, pistons would be about 600 quid and the rods closer to 1000
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

BTW I'll be using these companies for my build
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 27-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thankyou for the above information which is very helpfuul.
Any idea on the limits not to exceed on these engines?
I am also told a company called Rosten will do one offs against a sample provide.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Harvey how have you achieved those figures if you don't mind me asking out of a 1.9 16v?

I built and raced a 888 engineering car in the Vauxhall cup challenge with the same engine a few years back and anything over 235bhp/380lbft made it almost un-driveable! With reliability being a big issue.

One of my colleagues Andrew Pawley ownes and runs AON (Astra Owners Network) and DTUK (Diesel Tuning UK) and spent considerable time with hybrid turbos in Germany, testing at the Ring and also found similar problems and gave up.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 27-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

This Vectra, even at these power figures (and it can make more), has so far been reliable and it is my wifes daily driver. A five mile round trip in town traffic. Monday to Friday. If I am going to Scotland or the Midland I will commandeer it and take advantage of the fuel economy if the power is not used too much. Also the load lugging space. Totally nothing like undrivable and a pleasure to drive, relaxing and listening to Radio 2.!!!
The items that have required attention were a replacement inlet manifold, which I ported, when we first got the car. There was an issue on the injector wiring loom which may be common to other Vectras. This was an easy no cost fix. An issue with one injector which resulted in all four injectors being sent away, rebuilt and new nozzles, got stung on this and will not use that subcontractot again. As far as the engine is concerned that is it.
Ball joint last week, odd bushes previously, brakes, discs Bilsteins and Eibach and away you go.
I first went to A RR Day at RSTuning 05-02-11. 205 bhp without 50-50Water methanol injection and 216 bhp with. I think it was around 348 lbs/ft at that time. Mapping and an understanding of the ECU is as important as the hardware and on the same turbo at RSTuning after mapping 13-04-11 the car did 217 bhp no water/methanol and 230 with 50 :50 water methanol. I am now on my fourth incarnation of the original 17/49 VNT turbo having tried a disastreous 17/52/56, 17/56/60 great power but too far up the rev range (2,300 rpm) No use for a comfortable town car and currently 17/56/56. Good power well below 2,000 rpm. All the figures I quote are from the RSTuning rolling road.
If I purely wanted to produce good figures and bottom end was not important to me then far greater power would already be achieved but I want to retain this as a car that can drive round town well below 2,000 rpm.
With a colleague we are well on with a further turbo incarnation and shortly he will be able to offer a small range of hybrid turbos for specific applications on these engines based on proven results. All results have been documented on the same rollers which many claim are conservative.
No doubt I have more interesting information for you but in the meantime please let me know of the reliability issues suffered on these engines/cars with 888 and DTUK experiences.

Last edited by Harvey Smith; 27-01-12 at 19:14.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
cdti , pistons , rods , uprated

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page