Failure of powerflex bushes - Alfa 156 lower wishbone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 19-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Failure of powerflex bushes - Alfa 156 lower wishbone

Hi, guys!

Have been occasionally tracking my 156, and recently fitted powerflex bushes for the front axle - upper and lower wishbones. First impressions were great, with noticeable stiffening of the car, with little worsening of the ride ( at least on FSDs and Eibachs combo).
Went to a track day where I used slick tires - after the TD, when refitting street tires, noted that the front lower wishbone bushes on the right side and the rear lower wishbone bushes on the left side had slipped, moved out of its housing. ( photo)

At he mechanic, we could see that the front lower wishbone bush iron sleeve ( the metal tube provided by powerflex, that stays in the inner part of the bushing) have been ripped open ( photos) and there was significant damage on the rear bushes.

Also, one of the bushes that was still intact showed signs that it was slipping - note that the bush is offcenter!

Had no option but fit standard bushes and wishbones. I already habe my rear axle and upper wishbones powerflexed, with very good results... What you guys think? Did the bushes were incorrectly installed? Or the pressure of a track day on slicks was too much for the bushes?
Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1723
County: Drenthe
Mine are on 100k miles and still perfect!
Probably installed incorrectly
AO Member

County: Slaskie

Member car:

156 3.0

I got the same but with StrongFlex bushes... Did You work out this problem?
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I too reckon the installation is the problem, although they are fast road and you were on full slicks so you may have reached their limits but i doubt it?
AO Platinum Member

Shame he didn't update the thread on here.

The problem was that the tubes were the wrong size for his aftermarket wishbones but his mechanic hammered them on to fit and it was that action that split them before it even turned a wheel with them on!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
I've seen many comments saying not to powerflex lower wishbones on alfa due to the bushes pushing out. As I understand it this is especially prevelant on GTV's.
AO Member

County: Stara Zagora
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
but his mechanic hammered them on to fit and it was that action that split them before it even turned a wheel with them on!
Correct....
One different solution of this issue......one piece rear poly bush for lower wishbone - running 6 trackdays, three 3 hours endurance races with no problems.
And yeah - i know it looks not too practical and bit fragile, but it's not.

(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 14-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Updating....

I sent the pics to Powerflex and they say they were studying the case - The fractured rear sleeve was due to the rear arm of the lower wishbone being 20mm instead of the OEM 19mm....the mechanic rammed the 19mm sleeve into the 20mm arm, causing the fracture.
But this does not explain the failure of the front bushes of the lower wishbones - As you can see in the pics above, the wishbone bushes failed of opposite sides - I has a failure of the rear bush of the lower wishbone in the right side and a failure of the front bush of the lower wishbone on the left side - so you cannot argue that the failure of the rear bushes led to the failure of the fronts!
Intrestingly the rear sleeve on the other wishbone was OK ( even if it was intended to fit a 20mm arm...)

Any opinion on the failure of the front bushes? They are the correct size (20mm) for the sleeves...same as OEM...
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Same mechanic fitted both? I wouldn't put anything past him trying to fit it on the wrong end first and busting it!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesonauta1 View Post
Updating....

I sent the pics to Powerflex and they say they were studying the case - The fractured rear sleeve was due to the rear arm of the lower wishbone being 20mm instead of the OEM 19mm....the mechanic rammed the 19mm sleeve into the 20mm arm, causing the fracture.
But this does not explain the failure of the front bushes of the lower wishbones - As you can see in the pics above, the wishbone bushes failed of opposite sides - I has a failure of the rear bush of the lower wishbone in the right side and a failure of the front bush of the lower wishbone on the left side - so you cannot argue that the failure of the rear bushes led to the failure of the fronts!
Intrestingly the rear sleeve on the other wishbone was OK ( even if it was intended to fit a 20mm arm...)

Any opinion on the failure of the front bushes? They are the correct size (20mm) for the sleeves...same as OEM...
OEM ALFA 156 front lower wishbone FRONT BUSH sleeve is 19 mm, and REAR BUSH sleeve is 20mm......and i'm 100000% sure.......However i have seen few 19,20,21 mm's front sleeves and 20,21,21.7mm rear sleeves - manufactured from different aftermarket wishbones.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 15-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmaster View Post
OEM ALFA 156 front lower wishbone FRONT BUSH sleeve is 19 mm, and REAR BUSH sleeve is 20mm......and i'm 100000% sure.......However i have seen few 19,20,21 mm's front sleeves and 20,21,21.7mm rear sleeves - manufactured from different aftermarket wishbones.
Speedmaster, you are correct! Im sorry if I was not clear....the diameter of the wishbone arms on mine non-OEM wishbones were 20mm and 20mm ( front+rear). As I said, this fact alone explain the failure of the FRONT bushes, but does not explain the failure of the rear bushes on the other wishbone
AO Member

County: -
@Speedmaster

where did you get those 1 piece lower poly bushes? What grease did you used to fit them?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toso View Post
@Speedmaster

where did you get those 1 piece lower poly bushes? What grease did you used to fit them?
We manufacture it......fitted directly to lower wishbone rear bush.....and because of failures like this commented here, we decide to do it like this.
I'm using 4 of them on my trackday 156's(Lancya Lybra wishbones on rear axle using same rear bushes) and no problems for 3 years on slick tyres......
The grease we used is marine grease, Powerflex's copper grease works fine, but marine grease is not to easy to wash out and it's more useful for dusty, sandy, muddy and rough roads......like ours......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , alfa , bushes , failure , lower , powerflex , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page