Alfa Romeo 156 help... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 14-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Alfa Romeo 156 help...

Hi there, i'm new to the forum and a new owner of Alfa Romeo 156 '05, 1.6 TS. I have read a lot of threads about tuning my Alfa and i think i'm even more confused than i was in the beginning, so i need ur help. I will need all the help i can get, cause i'm very very new to these things.

First of all i want 2 things done to my car, add some HP and get some sound of that engine, so here are the questions:

I was thinking at taking my car to a chip tuning company, which will add from 8-12 HP (i would be happy with 8). So will this chip tuning cause any problems, parts to die quicker ?? I think this is the cheapest way to add some liveliness, what do u guys thing ??

Then about the sound, here are the big questions... An air filter or an exhaust, which air filter or which exhaust ??

I asked about these 2 filters:
K&N Typhoon induction Kit
BMC CDA Cold Air induction kit

K&N is suppose to sound better, but the BMC is suppose to give more power than the K&N (more liveliness than power, i dont expect much more than the sound from the filter). What do u guys think ??

How about an exhaust, its pricier, i was thinking in terms of the rear exhaust, they are all around 400€ or more, are they a better choice than an air filter, cause the sound is there from the beginning, will only the rear exhaust add more power, or should we say liveliness than an air filter ??
Are there any rear exhausts that add some HP and sound, or do u have to change the whole exhaust to gain some HP ?? Which exhausts (i dont want them to be 2 loud) ??

A local tuning store said that if i change an air filter with the K&N Typhoon kit and change the rear exhaust i could gain 5 HP, is this true or just bs ?? I'm not looking to increase the power by 30 HP or sth like that, maybe just add some liveliness to the motor and a little sound, so i can hear the car, that's all...

Sorry about my english and all the "liveliness"

I will appreciate all the help u can give me!

Miha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Forget the BMC filters unless you are going to put the intake/filter in an area where it picks up cold air. In the engine compartment it will just pick up warm air which is poor for performance. There are a lot of threads on here where people have taken them off as they don't help. Keep the original airbox and filter .. it's pretty good. Avoid an oiled filter as an over oiled one will kill the MAF.

I'd suggest trying the GTA intake swap. In the inner wing you will find the intake and a resonator box which slows down the air flow. Junk the resonator and fit a GTA intake (or the older V6). That will improve the air flow and on my 156, the throttle pick up. (There's a how-to under the Hints&Tips section on my greenserpent.site90.com site.

Next make sure everything is working properly ... no fault codes, etc. Make sure the MAF is working ok and you have no problems with the lambda and the thermostat working so it's running at the right temp, etc. It's amazing how well the TS goes when it's working properly. When was the last cam belt change? Needs to be done every 36000miles or 3 years now. Whoever does it MUST use camlocks and a DTI gauge to get the timing spot on. One tooth out and the performance is down.

Next, use the search facility on here and look at tuning threads. Look under the 147, 156 section as well as this Tuning one . They should help with exhausts, etc. Removing the cat should give you a couple of BHP ... a free-flow exhaust a couple more.

But without serious work, and money, I doubt if you will squeeze much extra out of the 1.6. You could try and drop the 155 bhp 2.0 TS in but even that isn't a straight forward swap as you need to replace the ecu, etc.

There are some sites listed here that might help.

Personally I'd start with the brakes, suspension, wheels and tyres. Get it to handle and stop first, then make it go faster!

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 16-11-11 at 19:45.
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

utterly agree... chasing power in the 1.6 is pointless.. as for sound - go for a decent quality muffler of your choice..

supersprint, CSA etc - all good choices - it depends if you like their sound or not... once u go for a louder system - u can't hear the intake at all...

i would not stray from oem air intakes for the reasons cited above... at most, u might like to go for the autodelta filter which is oiless and straight fit in replacement for the oem filter...

btw, your english is awesome!

i also vote for suspension and brakes btw... and its not really a waste of money as these are consumable items that need replacing at some point anyway... JMO.
(Post Link) post #4 of 29 Old 19-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Thanks for the reply guys.

Gta intake, where could i get it, could u give me a link to the site that has gta intake ??

Amm... cam belt was just changed, brakes are new, new suspension is coming in spring, so no problem there, tyres are new, new wheels are coming in spring as well...

About the exhausts, i was looking thru youtube and found some Alfa's with changed exhausts, but i couldnt find anything on an Autodelta exhaust, is it any good, where could i listed to the sound for this exhaust ?? If i'm gonna be changing the exhaust, its not just because of the sound, its nice to gain some HP as well

So these are the answers about the power gains (for exhaust backboxes) from:

supersprint: Sorry have to inform you that there's no power gain with this exhaust, just the sound becomes more sporty and pleasant
because of the lowering of the exhaust tone.

ragazzon: By installing our product you can have a gain from 2hP to 3,5hP in comparison with the original exhaust system.

remus: The sport exhaust gains average about 2-5 HP (depending on the engines).

novitec: no gains

autodelta: centre+tailbox = 4-5bhp

Supersprint sounds nice, but with no power gains its not worth it. Ragazzon sound quite nice. Remus sounds 2 loud. Novitec no gains so not worth it. Autodelta, no idea ???

Last edited by dugy; 19-11-11 at 15:01.
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

you're not gonna get any power just replacing the back box... sorry... on an 05 there is like 3 cats including primaries causing restriction.... and again, even if you went to the expensive and grief of changing out the whole exhaust, u would barely return anything from the 1.6l...

and it would still be torqueless

believe us... pointless.... if you want a back box, just go with what you think sounds nicest... the claims are crap.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
You may find its more cost effective to sell your 1.6TS and just buy the 2.0TS or even the 2.5 six gun.

Depends upon how good your current car is in other areas and what you've already spent on it / vs. what would it fetch?? If you want a more powerful car, then basically you have bought the wrong model for starters and its a total waste of time, money and effort to try a rinse a few more Bhp without gain on the weedy 1.6 - IMO - Sorry.

If you do stick with it, forget power increase as it ain't gonna happen....sort out the handling elements (as already mentioned), so at least it will handle quicker on A/B roads and thus feel more powerful - faster!

- Eibach Sport Springs
- EBC / Tarox / Brembo drilled / grooved discs with Ferodo or Mintex fast road pads
- Tyre choice also to ramp up on handling: Dunlop Fast Response, Bridgestone ER300 or Toyo T1R

Exhaust wise, will just make a nicer crisper sound and you'll feel like you've got something beefier under the bonnet.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

A pushbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post
You may find its more cost effective to sell your 1.6TS and just buy the 2.0TS or even the 2.5 six gun.
There is no replacement for displacement
(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 22-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Thanks for the honest answers

I would still like to change the intake with the gta intake, so anyone could help me to where i could get one ??

Thanks...
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Dealer!

(Part nos are listed in the hints&tips pdf on my greenserpent website showing how to change it or if you use the search option on here it will look for threads that list it)
(Post Link) post #10 of 29 Old 02-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I want to get mine to sound something like this, what do u guys think, does he only have the rear exhaust changed or something else ??

here's the clip:

Alfa Romeo 156 1.6TS Supersprint exhaust sound - Car Videos on StreetFire
AO Silver Member

You can't go wrong with a SuperSprint system. The more pipework you get, then the better for it.

As a minimum, start with the Back Box + Intermidate Centre Pipe. This will give the sound you are after and a better flow through with the centre pipe. As a phase 2 you can always try the De-Cat Pipe.
(Post Link) post #12 of 29 Old 05-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

How about the Cybox system, i found a clip and it sounds pretty good and its a lot cheaper then the SS, so if the sound of the Cybox is good and the gains are minimum with both systems, the Cybox is a better choice, what do u guys think ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67YWOtJDcQ
AO Silver Member

The Cybox is a good value for money for system. I was considering it myself, but have found out that it needs some work on the exhaust hangers etc. to get it fitted up correctly. I am going to spend the extra and get the Super Sprint system in the NY. Both sound pretty sweet, so really flip of a coin to decide IMO.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...-any-good.html
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
i personally would get rid of the 1.6 and get hold of a 2.0 TS or go big and get a v6 of any size.
2.0ts are really great fun and a set of cams would make it wild as well but fuel economy at that point will be no better than a v6 so probably cheaper goin for a 2.5
(Post Link) post #15 of 29 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I'm not gonna change my car, so we can stop right there. I got it for a great price and there are NO 1.8, 2.0, 2.5 made in 2005 (only older than 2000 and i dont want an older one) for sale in my country...

Yea u have a lot of choice in UK and they are even cheaper than here, so u can choose what u want, but here there is not a lot to choose from
AO Silver Member

[To: will01 / We've all told him to sell it for achieving more power and looks like you've gone and upset Dugy again ]

I guess that's the point that here in the UK, we have a massive choice of 156's and you can get a V6 MK1 for not a lot of dosh.... I am out working in Holland this week and guys here telling me Alfa's are a lot more expensive here too.
(Post Link) post #17 of 29 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I'm not upset, u just need to know how its here and not how u see it in UK, its a very different situation... If i had a big choice of 156's i would buy a bigger engine to start with, but it is what it is.

And that's why i asked here if i can get more power for a reasonable price, but now i see its pointless, i'm just gonna improve the sound, get some 17" and a new suspension and that's it, 120hp is still more than enough for these crappy roads In the summer i'm gonna buy myself a motorbike, so there will be no need for more power, but thats off topic
(Post Link) post #18 of 29 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Btw, talking about new alu wheels, what do u guys think about 18" on an Alfa 156, are they 2 big or should there be no problems fitting them to the car ??
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
18" wheels will look good (small brake disc not), will fit easily (225 max without mods I think), but will be uncomfortable to drive and a bit lazy on 1.6 engine I think. Better upgrade the suspension.
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I was thinking about 17", but now i can get some great 18" for a nice price and that's why the question, but probably there's not a big difference if u fit 17" or 18", its gonna be uncomfortable in both ways ??

The guy who's selling them says he's got a 120hp diesel and that the performance was the same and that he didnt notice a difference (btw, he's got Alfa 147)...

I'm gonna upgrade the suspension the same time i'll be changing the alu wheels
(Post Link) post #21 of 29 Old 03-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Anyone here with Black Diamond discs ?? I was thinking of changing the discs, new ones for my safety and to look good with the new alu wheels.

I was looking at these:

Black Diamond Grooved & Drilled Brake Discs for Alfa Romeo - larkspeed.com

Dont know, should i just stick with Brembo or are any other discs good ?? I heard that grooved discs are noisy and the drilled ones are prone to cracks, is this true with all the companies ??

I'm not a racer, i need them for my safety, so what do u guys suggest ?? Brembo, Black Diamond, EBC, Ferodo, Tarox, drilled, grooved ???

Thanks...
GTA_Nigel

I did a bit of research on brake discs when I replaced mine. The general conclusion is that the standard OEM discs are fine, changing to grooved or drilled will make no difference to your stopping power. If it's safety you are after, you need to get better pads, braided hoses and uprated brake fluid. Those will all make a big difference to your braking effectiveness. I personally recommend either Performance Friction road pads or Ferodo DS2500s.

Grooved and/or drilled discs are a vanity purchase unless you are a racer. I have grooved Nitrac discs on my GTA because I think they look better than plain ones, but there was no noticeable difference in stopping power when I fitted them. I spoke with the folks at Nitrac and they said drilled discs were not really recommended for general road use as these are more intended for track work (better cooling but more likely to crack). Oh, and FWIW, grooved discs are likely to pick up grit from the road in the grooves which will create score lines on the discs. This has happened to two of my discs.

So get better pads, braided hoses and uprated fluid. If you want replacement discs, the make does not matter IMO. Just get the ones you like the look of and that are in your price range.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Every body loves knocking the 1.6.
Nothing wrong with it and by changing the Manifold for an early TS manifold without the cats and a proper system all the way to the back you will have gains although not earth shattering.
A K&N drop in filter with a GTA induction pipe will also help for the sound and the less restricted flow will help with response.
The main thing is that most of the things you wan to change were designed for larger motors so the 1.6 will not have major gains from it.
(Post Link) post #24 of 29 Old 04-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

GTA_Nigel: thanks, u helped me a lot! Pads are almost brand new, so i wont be changing them right now, for now only the discs

turbonutters: i just ordered gta induction pipe and K&N drop in filter, so that is done

First things that are on the list now are the discs and new alu wheels and tyres + lowering Eibach springs. Discs i still need to decide what to get, alu wheels and tyres are coming in the end of January and the lowering springs as well (cant wait)...

Very soon i'm gonna be changing the clutch, cause it needs changing (+ release bearing), what do u think about Black Diamond Clutches (stage 1 or 2 ??), are they any good or should i get something else:

Alfa Romeo 156 Black Diamond Clutch 1.6i 16v TS 04/03 - 09/05

Then 2nd thing on the list are the shock absorbers, bi-xenon kit with lenses and then probably a new exhaust system (still need to think about that)...
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
156 , alfa , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page