164 2.0 V6 TB maximum turbo boost pressure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-10-11 Thread Starter

County: Buenos Aires

Member car:

164 V6 2.0 Turbo

Well Happy 164 2.0 V6 TB maximum turbo boost pressure

Hello!

I have a 164 V6 Turbo, the idea is to improve the turbine or put a new one, since the original is not a turbine very generous to which you can use with a lot of pressure. But what i am interested to know is how much pressure would bear the standard engine? Leaving pistons and connecting rods original.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
First off: Before you do any mods, make sure that the engine is in good condition. Oil pressure, bearings, exc. Also get a boost gauge and measure your current boost pressure.

Secondly: Which type of engine do you have? Old or new? Reason is the turbo. Old type has the mitsubishi TD05-12B turbo, and the newer engine has garrett T25. Mitsu turbo is a bit bigger, and it can hold more boost, while the garrett has better spool. But either way, I wouldn't go above 1.4bar without other mods. I would strongly suggest that first you remove the pre-cat which is right after the turbine outlet, with a custom downpipe, and also remove the cat. This engine has a very restrictive exhaust, so do that first, and then you can raise boost.

But you can also do a turbo swap, with either a mitsu TD05 Big 16G/TD05 20G, or a garrett T3. But bear in mind, that some custom fabrication will be required to make the new turbo fit. Stock IC is not bad until ~300bhp, but having a FMIC unit will improve the intake temp. a lot.

I don't know if there is anyone out there, that can claim for certain... "For this engine, XXX bhp is the max". But generally all the parts (injectors, fuel pump, IC, turbo, pistons exc.) are good from around 280-320bhp. Of course, it can vary. Conrods on the other hand, as I've heard, are good for ~500bhp - but other people can confirm if this is true.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 30-10-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

164 V6 2.0 Turbo

Thank you very much for the answer!

I'm waiting for the mechanic opened the engine because it burns the board, is very slow, but he knows a lot and who worked with these engines in Alfa Romeo workshops in Modena. But all standard engines. So I'm trying to gather information.

I have the Mitsubishi turbine, maybe I can build a hybrid with it and make it a little more generous, or put another.

Thank you again for the information and for answering!

Member car:

164 v6 turbo

Hola Mariano

Hola Mariano no se si seguís teniendo el 164 porque el post este tiene un par de años , pero quería saber si le cambiaste el turbo al 164 o si pudiste hacer algo al respecto de la presión , saludos
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
JDM TD05 G20 is a nice big turbo its what im using
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV 1.8 TS

I've heard about 1.6 bar blowing head gasket. But the problem is always the same: you don't know how bad was the setup, what was AFR/ignition, and generally speaking whether you can trust the guy.
If the engine flows well you don't need much boost, Indycar run 0.4 bar and make huge power.
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
I tot up to 1.8 bar at my gtv V6 turbo with stock garrett turbo. Power gain was impresive, but you could feel that it was to much. And it did, I blew my oil seals of the turbo.

Note that my ecu is modified so that the boost limiter is switched off. Otherwise you won't go over 1.5 bar.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
164 , boost , maximum , pressure , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page