exhaust manifold & Turbo query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 23-10-11 Thread Starter

County: Lancashire

Member car:

1.9jtd

Help exhaust manifold & Turbo query

hi

i'm planning to upgrade turbo on Vectra 1.9 cdti 150 from stock to either

gtb2056 or gtb2260

but my current turbo is built as one with the exhaust manifold and short of cutting and welding i am limited to changing compressor wheels

So I wondered if the exhaust manifold from a 1.9JDTm 16v might provide a suitable starting point for a transplant ( rather than go custom route ).

Also I see many posts about turbo choice? is there a significant difference between 2056 and 2260 in peoples experience?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
the manifold would fit, I'm sure. But the pipes all run the opposite direction on the Opel/Vauxhall from what I've seen. the turbos sits in the other direction aswell...

GTB2056 is more than strong enough to kill the gearbox, and would spool better than the 2260.
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 30-10-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.9jtd

thanks

found front view of z19dth which i think is comparable to 16v 1.9 jtdm.

i've tried to find a comparable front view of jtd 1.9 but no success.

anyone here got one ( or better still actual photo ), so i can see how much work will need to be done post turbo if I use alfa manifold

has anyone thought about GTB2265 hybrid which seems to be in favour on the VW forum?

thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z19dth-front-3034240990127979278.jpg (57.5 KB, 81 views)
AO Silver Member

County: -
The difference is that the turbo on your engine is oriented differently.

You can see that the compressor inlet is on the left side. In Alfa JTDm it is on the right side, at least in 147 and GT where manifold is separate. In 159 the orientation is the same as on your Vectra, but I think it is also in one piece with manifiold exactly like yours.
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 30-10-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.9jtd

thanks ,

i've had more help here in three visits than i have in months of my own cars forum.so thanks to you

that info is really helpful in pinpointing what model i need to source a manifold from

i'll have to see how that ( + diversion of pipework ) would impact on the rest of the space available between engine and radiator.

i guess only way is to try!

whilst i'm gleaning info, is there a good source of uprated DMF, pistons and rods as i want to get 300hp

cheers

AO Member

County: Durham
Very interesting.
I am looking at the possibility of fitting a 2056 or 2260 to my Wife's Vectra C 1.9CDTi. I have taken the car in stages through 200 bhp, 230 bhp, 240 bhp and now exceeding 250 bhp on DynoDynamic rolling Roads at RSTuning Leeds, EvoTune Durham and ScoobyClinic Chesterfield.
The problem is getting a manifold in the space available.
Any update on this?
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

As has been said the compressor/turbine are on opposite sides on the turbo with the separate manifold, on the 159 jtdm they are the same as the vectra except that the compressor outlet goes downwards on the Alfa.
the Alfa compressor housing will fit straight onto the vectra turbo and is the same size internally, I have a vectra turbo in my garage as a spare
AO Member

Interesting. I have no problem clocking a turbo if that is possible and if I find the right turbo I guess I could modify the existing exhaust manifold to take a bigger turbo subject to packaging.
Exactly what turbo do you have for sale and how much do you want for it?
[email protected]
AO Member

OK. I have made some progress with the Vectra. So far the turbos I have tried are best described as :
Standard 17/49 VNT, 17/49/56, 17/56/60. Too late to spool. 17/52/56. No good but probably because the Iveco compressor cover was too restrictive and currently 17/56/56. Spool? Acceptable. 250 bhp and 400 ft lbs. With a colleague we are now looking at 18/56/56. The results for this will be very interesting and act as a pointer as to the possible way forward. At some point we are going to have to ditch the integral 17 exhaust housing and manifold. The big draw back here is the cost of a tubular manifold and the obvious space restriction. Something like 750 upwards.
I am looking at the possibility of cutting the 17 Vauxhall exhaust section from the actual exhaust manifold and welding on a flange but before I go down that route I have to decide on the turbo to go for. I want to exceed the present 250 bhp but also want reasonable spool.
Any suggestions?
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
GTB2056v?
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Hi, any final figures yet, did mapping go ok?
AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
The exhaust manifold is bit oversized for 1900ccm engine. Especially the GTB2260 it will be quite dead on lowend.

County: Istanbul
Gtb2260vk is very good charger and low rpm (1500-2500)boost is satisfactory. My new charger is the better than old hybrid gt1756. I not to have dynosheet. I use 1.8 bar low smoke map
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Nicely made custom parts!

I agree with yan.ko the exhaust manifold design looks not optimal, but it will do the job and fits nicely in this way.

1.8 bar is a temporary setting? As that GTB2260 can easily make 2.2+ bar on a 1.9 engine.

County: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS JTD View Post
Nicely made custom parts!

I agree with yan.ko the exhaust manifold design looks not optimal, but it will do the job and fits nicely in this way.

1.8 bar is a temporary setting? As that GTB2260 can easily make 2.2+ bar on a 1.9 engine.
ı use 1.8 bar because Exhaust pipe diameter original mm. we use new exhaust system and hight boost(2.2-2.3) Finally gtb 2260 very enjoyble upper rpm's.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1004
County: Noord Brabant
Quote:
Originally Posted by batu55 View Post
ı use 1.8 bar because Exhaust pipe diameter original mm. we use new exhaust system and hight boost(2.2-2.3) Finally gtb 2260 very enjoyble upper rpm's.
Very wise, I did so too with my GTB and stock exhaust line.
Keep us posted about your results!
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

1.9CDTI 16v

So you have an Astra and Vectra now or are you just doing the Astra with a view to do the Vectra?
The nozzles upgrade question you started with on AON, I have had injectors made up by United Diesel as Harvey did and had the flow propperly tested. The results were 10-15% increase at most, which is not enough to make a big difference and why Harvey smoked so heavily to make decent figures.

United Diesel are going to take a set of injectors from me this week and do some development work with flow and nozzles to hopefully get at least 30% (they said 50% but they were expecting 20-25% more from the last upgrade). The injectors they did are running fine though in a Saab 93 TDI at the moment and with a hybrid and water methanol system to help the spool, it is making better results.

You might want to look at a water fumigation system to aid in the spool of that 2260. Without my water/meth kit I am hitting peak boost of 30psi at about 2800rpm in fourth. This my kit running I can hit peak in fourth at 2400rpm and in 5th gear I can hit peak by 2250rpm. In sixth gear the VNT duty is too high for the amount of flow in the exhaust and it actually chokes and stagnates, peeking later.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

saab 93 tid

hi i know this is an old thread but i am looking at doing this install, where did you get your manifold flange from ? i cant find any anywhere and itll take an age by hand as i dont have access to a miller only a lathe

cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
exhaust , manifold , query , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page