Brakes, what do we think of these? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 27-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

147 TS

Brakes, what do we think of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-147-1...item2a113d9c00

So, Brembos, just to expensive.
Ferodo? _ Mayb....

What do we think of the discs n pads above? Mintex i believe...never heard of em...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
I don't really rate the cheap mintex stuff. Personally I think you'd be better off with alfa OEM over them. If you can stretch to ferodo ds2500 they are well worth it IMO and will probably be better than that kit combined just as front pads.

I maybe wrong but I believe mintex do a high performance range but this is ths same price as the ferodo stuff
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Mintex pads are fine for a road car. If you're thinking of a track car then look at Ferodo. Mintex are a well known brand and good quality. But I think you will find you can buy the parts cheaper if you shop around ...

Look at buypartsby.co.uk for Mintex pads .. cheap as chips! Discs from them can come from a variety of manufacturers, including Quinton Hazell, Lucas Delphi, Mintex, etc, but I think they do drilled/grooved as well.

You do realise Brembo do "standard" discs as well ??
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Pads are always more important than discs.

Mintex stuff is ok, as good as OEM from my experience.

Hold on a minute... I looked at the link and those discs aren't drilled, just grooved and **Dimpled!!**
kevjtd

what do you huys think of ebc pads?

currently finalising the parts for my sud track day car, which will also most likely end up being a weekend/fast road car too so cold braking is vital too. although a change of pad in the future if it gets the dual identity may make more sense...

anyway, the car will have the 1.7 16V engine, not overly powerful around 150bhp but only around 850 to 900kgs
front discs are grooved/drilled 284mm ones that fit the fiat coupe 16V turbo (so i can still squeeze 15" rims on) with 4 pot calipers from the nissan sx turbo. alfa 75 master cylinder, braided hoses etc...

so what pads to go for?

ferrodo ds2500 ones i've ruled out on cost, far too much for what the car is to be when alternatives are out there.

looking at ebc pads, but which ones to use?

greenstuff ones seem to be more road based which probably wouldn't take to a days track action?

redstuff seems about there, as long as the cold feel is there too? then they could be the ones.

yellowstuff sound about perfect with good temperature ranges but they are not made in my application.

so, anyone tried the ebc redstuff ones? cold bite acceptable? any fade with track use?

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I've seen Greenstuff crumble off the backing plates on trackdays on a number of cars now. I had red stuff on my GTV 3 litre in the 4-pot calipers with 305mm discs, they were better than OEM but thats not saying much. Not a patch on DS2500 or Performance Friction. Never tried yellow stuff. What year are the Nissan 200sx calipers from?
kevjtd

there from the 2.0 turbo coupe, with the sumitomo calipers, s14 model. quite a neat caliper that has a pad surface area only slightly less than the brembo's

will avoid the greenstuff then, might still go for the redstuff as the car will be much lighter than the gtv v6............but if the ferodo or others come in at a more sensible price...

guess all the mintex c tech stuff is no good either? have used older versions a long, long time ago that were ok for rally use......

Last edited by kevjtd; 20-05-12 at 20:08.

Club Member
Membro Premio

To be fair, I think with those calipers and Redstuff pads you will have massive stopping power in such a light car. I guess you're only going to be on skinny tyres too, so you don't want to go too mad with the brakes.

I hope you're going to remove the Nissan decals too
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
To be fair, I think with those calipers and Redstuff pads you will have massive stopping power in such a light car. I guess you're only going to be on skinny tyres too, so you don't want to go too mad with the brakes.

I hope you're going to remove the Nissan decals too
fairly skinny tyres, yes. only 15" rims so sill probably be something like 195/45 or 205 maybe, nothing wider.

and the nissan logos are staying, cast into the casing could file them off but after doing my last sud 100% original i'm feeling a bit rebelious

redstuff may be the way then, although found a website in the states that sells the ds2500 for them for about 110 at current exchange rates, as long as i don't get stung on import tax...

will be a pretty light car though so won't have massive,heavy prolonged braking. won't be going fast enough anyway

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Don't forget you have bluestuff and orangestuff pads too, blue pads are comparable to DSPF pads and the orange stuff is full track pads.

My mate the lucky sod was given both sets for free to test, along with high carbon discs, rates them highly.
Club Member
Membro Premio

They usually sting you a bit at customs. Vat at 20% plus an admin fee usually around 8 is the minimum, I don't think there are any specific duties on car parts. You can always ask the shipper to declare a lower invoice price.. Naughty
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I hate customs, mum bought my dad a CD collection from the states and cost 40 quid, customs and surchage added an extra 32 quid. work that out!?!
kevjtd

might not bother taking the risk with getting from the states then, amy end up costing more than from here

don't think the blue and orange pads are avilable for this application..

yellowstuff ones are though..

:: EBC Brakes Direct Limited : Cars : Brake Pads & Brake Shoes : NISSAN : 200SX : 2.0 Turbo : 94-2001

said to have superb bite from cold too, might be worth the extra few quid over the redstuff ones?

:: EBC Brakes Direct Limited :: Product Info ::

AO Silver Member

County: Moravskoslezský
Garage
I have the yellow stuffs on 4pot 305 GTA brembos. Can confirm the bite from cold is perfect.
But they are high friction ones, so they could probably wear the discs quite a lot (don't have them long enough).
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan.ko View Post
I have the yellow stuffs on 4pot 305 GTA brembos. Can confirm the bite from cold is perfect.
But they are high friction ones, so they could probably wear the discs quite a lot (don't have them long enough).
cheers for that, just the sort of comment i was looking for

will only be a track day car so won't get chance to do the miles to worry too much about lasting a long time, may get it road legal to have the occasional blast up in the wolds on our nice quiet twisty roads too so being able to be road use friendly is also needed. would hate to be on a nice twisty, flowing road then find you have no brakes after a few miles without giving them a prod

AO Silver Member

County: Skåne

Member car:

GTV-TB

I also use yellow stuff at the moment, real good cold bite
and they have taken the car (GTV 916) down from 200km/h +
to low speed repeatedly with not very much time to cool in
between without any problems (I use 330 discs), but they
do dust like hell.
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-TB View Post
I also use yellow stuff at the moment, real good cold bite
and they have taken the car (GTV 916) down from 200km/h +
to low speed repeatedly with not very much time to cool in
between without any problems (I use 330 discs), but they
do dust like hell.
sounds like they are a decent pad then

not too worried about getting brake dust on the rims, but that also shows they are not likely to last long as has already been said

kevjtd

just to make sure i wasn't paying over the odds i checked at the motor factors today, seems the online prices are still best.

another curved ball though....

at the weekend i found a set of ferodo ds2500 pads at a buy it now or make an offer price below what others are charging, so stuck a cheeky bid of 100 on not expecting to get a positive reply.

the offer expired oves the weekend while they were shut but they've emailed to say that if i re-sumbit my offer they will accept it.

great i thought, bargain

until i looked again they are ferodo ds2000 pads, not ds2500.

so old stock. but any good?

would rather pay a few quid more (about 110) for yellowstuff ones i think..

what you guys reckon about the ds2000? seems from a few searches that they are an old pad now.....

AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Seems they renamed the DS2000 to DSPF or DS performance pads. My mate had these on his 156 2.5V6 and rated them very well Although, check the price of DSPF pads first, incase they're cheaper
kevjtd

thanks for all the advice guys.
now bought some yellowstuff ones on the advice gained from here and reading about all the attributes they have, in particular the cold bite they give.

cheers, will let you know how they perform in a few months

AO Platinum Member

Be interesting to hear how progressive the YellowStuff are, especially when you are coming off of the brakes.
Some pads release quickly, making them like a switch going straight from full braking to no braking, but others (ie DS2500) have very smooth release characteristics making them very controllable.
kevjtd

just thought i'd post a couple of pics of my brake set-up that will be going on my sud, now i have all the parts to hand to build it up.
nearly finished making the brakets to fit the calipers to the 33 hubs.
hoping it will work well with the larger bore of a 75 master cylinder

Last edited by kevjtd; 20-05-12 at 20:07.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
brakes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page